• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Level 2 power alert in AB last night.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level 2 power alert in AB last night.

Just saying....

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
    Just saying....
    Not familiar with this term...just a little explanation for clarity ..

Comment

https://globalnews.ca/news/6409805/alberta-electricity-emergency-alerts-january-13/

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        Not familiar with this term...just a little explanation for clarity ..
        It means that it is one level away from having to start shutting off power to end users due to lack of generation.
        and low wind in the province, triggered two energy emergency alerts.
        And this is the result when wind is only providing under 5% of Alberta's electricity. And solar is up to 0.025% of the total. Scale that up to double digits and guess what happens.

I've been watching AESO the past few days. Wind has never gotten above single digits utilization compared to its nameplate capacity. And spent most of the time around 3 to 4%. Which works out to 0.3% of the total generation. One day at noon, solar did briefly produce enough to show up on the report. otherwise it has been 0.

Comment

I do apologise for being an instigator prick. But I couldn't let that headline go unnoticed. We can choose not to post here. Or admin can send me to the penalty box lol.
          Stay warm and keep plowing Mother Earth.

Comment

We need 100 times more wind turbines and solar panels! Quick call China, CC is paying...with your money...

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
              We need 100 times more wind turbines and solar panels! Quick call China, CC is paying...with your money...
              Let's explore what the end result is when we do the math on your statement Fjlip. At present the wind farm capacity in Alberta is 1781 megawatts. 100 times that is obviously 178100 megawatts of generation capacity or roughly 10.5 times the total present generation capacity in Alberta. The problem is that as AB5 states wind farm efficiency has been less than 5% of late. At 4.5% generation efficiency that translates to producing 8015 megawatts of electricity which is well short of Alberta's consumption peak yesterday of 11700 megawatts. How much would it cost for this much generation capacity from windmills. At a capacity of 1.8 megawatt per windmill and 176310 megawatts of additional generation capacity this is 97955 windmills. Each windmill costs in excess of $2 million dollars to set up. So 97955 x $2 million is $195.910 billion dollars. Yes Chuck it all makes perfect cents now. Enjoy your day.

Comment

Originally posted by hamloc View Post
                let's explore what the end result is when we do the math on your statement fjlip. At present the wind farm capacity in alberta is 1781 megawatts. 100 times that is obviously 178100 megawatts of generation capacity or roughly 10.5 times the total present generation capacity in alberta. The problem is that as ab5 states wind farm efficiency has been less than 5% of late. At 4.5% generation efficiency that translates to producing 8015 megawatts of electricity which is well short of alberta's consumption peak yesterday of 11700 megawatts. How much would it cost for this much generation capacity from windmills. At a capacity of 1.8 megawatt per windmill and 176310 megawatts of additional generation capacity this is 97955 windmills. Each windmill costs in excess of $2 million dollars to set up. So 97955 x $2 million is $195.910 billion dollars. Yes chuck it all makes perfect cents now. Enjoy your day.

here, here

Comment

Coal and gas still making kWh’s in my neighbourhood.

It was -39 this morning and supposed to do the same tonight. Finally dropped a sinking heater in a energy free waterer today and that’s the first heat we’ve put in a waterer this winter. Doing our part not to overload the grid

2,200 MW From three different plants produced within 10 miles of me regardless of sun or wind.

Comment

Level 2 power alert in AB last night

Since coal and gas works I wouldn’t mess with it. If I have a machine that’s dependable I hesitate to trade it off If it’s proven and works at - 35 I will pass on the experiments.

Comment

Originally posted by J88 View Post
                      Since coal and gas works I wouldn’t mess with it. If I have a machine that’s dependable I hesitate to trade it off If it’s proven and works at - 35 I will pass on the experiments.
                      Well i think some people actually try think farther ahead then just this generation and realize the actual definition of non renewable resource and its impact on future generations.

Comment

It's funny you're all so smugly using this in your ridiculous campaign against renewables but forget the history. How can you be short of power in AB with the economy in recession and that expensive Altalink powerline that was put in place to prevent brownouts in Calgary (according to the PCs) A line that Albertans are paying for on every power bill as the operator was granted a 7% profit on the money they didn't spend building it. Truth is despite the PC denials that line was built to sell power to the US - liquidating Woodland's coal reserves and sending it south at AB taxpayer expense with the proceeds straight into corporate pockets. Maybe you should be asking the PC government why the power supply is short not blaming it on wind farms or solar?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          It's funny you're all so smugly using this in your ridiculous campaign against renewables but forget the history. How can you be short of power in AB with the economy in recession and that expensive Altalink powerline that was put in place to prevent brownouts in Calgary (according to the PCs) A line that Albertans are paying for on every power bill as the operator was granted a 7% profit on the money they didn't spend building it. Truth is despite the PC denials that line was built to sell power to the US - liquidating Woodland's coal reserves and sending it south at AB taxpayer expense with the proceeds straight into corporate pockets. Maybe you should be asking the PC government why the power supply is short not blaming it on wind farms or solar?
                          I believe your beloved NDP shut down a bunch of coal fired plants, Grassy. Paid them to quit I believe.

Comment

Level 2 power alert in AB last night

I don’t know what’s worse burning to death in Australia or freezing to death in Canada. Maby we need some You Tubers videoing freezing to death here

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                              Grassfarmer I believe record consumption was due to extreme cold. When I went to bed ambient temperature was -40, when I got up this morning it had warmed up to a balmy -37. Red Deer was was -41.6 at 7 am, record low for the date according to environment Canada was -40.6 in 1950. Also when I looked at 7 am our windmills were generating 16, yes 16 megawatts of electricity out of a potential 1781. As for my "ridiculous campaign against renewables", I would say what about the federal Green Party, federal NDP party, for that matter the federal Liberal party's campaign against common sense? They all promote wind and solar as a replacement for fossil fuels in electrical generation. I have no issue with clean energy sources that make sense like hydroelectric and nuclear but to promote intermittent forms of generation like wind and solar as the be all and end all just won't work for 365 days a year in Alberta. All the computer modelling and examples of how it works in other geographic locations won't change how it will work here. I prefer actual measured performance to pie in the sky computer models. Enjoy your day.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.