• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask Power and a storm!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask Power and a storm!

Well don’t some of you wonder as you look at poles that we’re suppose to be replaced 2 to 5 years ago and droopy power lines

Ours are stretched far and wide.

One Ice storm and I believe we would be without power for weeks. Main line to our yard almost all poles have the red tag.

Maybe a upgrade to steel since it’s not being used for moving gas and oil.

Any one else ever worry about their farm power supply.

For some reason we have power today north and east of us not so lucky.

They need to put it the line in the ground. Poles are a make work project. Never seen a buried line break with ice on it. Doesn’t take them long to bury power

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
      They need to put it the line in the ground. Poles are a make work project. Never seen a buried line break with ice on it. Doesn’t take them long to bury power
      Yes put the f'ing lines underground they need to get their head out there ass. Vibratory plows work like a damn. They don't want a robust system think of the jobs.

Comment

Agree jobs keep the old overhead going.

We have the back three poles underground in yard but the anchor pole left looks like a c. Just waiting for it to snap. Most others have red tag stating replace.
        Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Dec 4, 2018, 17:32.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
          Several broke here in the ground on the wet years when creek banks slid . Rips them right apart

Comment

We have only three poles(three phase along a highway) to navigate around on 16 quarters. We benefited from the RUD(Rural Undeground Distribution???) program in the mid eighties.

So lucky.

We should have an automatic generator tied into the power pedestal in the yard.

If you have nat gas there are some neat rigs(nat gas powered generators) you can tie into the house.

Comment

Here I thought all you SK boys had underground power. As far as generators, the only thing you have to consider before installing one is to make sure you have nearby hydro access to run a block/ magnet heater on them 24/7 in winter. Natgas Generac ones around here won't do cold start in -30.

Comment

Fortis stringing new line along highway here. Wood poles. Where none were.

Comment

I think if you were to look at the cost of underground transmission line you would change your mind real quick. A 17,000 volt wire, the chance of line hits are very dangerous, the cost of isolating underground outages are expensive especially in frozen ground, plus a pedestal every place you come out of ground.
                  I don't know the $ now but when I was on rea board the cost was astronomical and no cheaper to maintain, you think your stadium was expensive try underground power and you will see what expensive is.

Comment

We're just nicely back to normal here in Southern Mb. after having no power for 35 hours from Saturday night to Monday morning. Due to crazy hoar frost on the "hydro" lines. (powerlines for Sask folks).
                    Lots of poles and wires snapped off and wires crossed over.
                    Weird part is the entire time we had calm winds, just hoar frost over 6 inches in diameter in some places.
                    Underground lines are almost non-existent in Manitoba from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                      I think if you were to look at the cost of underground transmission line you would change your mind real quick. A 17,000 volt wire, the chance of line hits are very dangerous, the cost of isolating underground outages are expensive especially in frozen ground, plus a pedestal every place you come out of ground.
                      I don't know the $ now but when I was on rea board the cost was astronomical and no cheaper to maintain, you think your stadium was expensive try underground power and you will see what expensive is.
                      Its not just power , its everything
                      We are at a place where infrasructure cannot be maintained because of cost
                      We are going backwards fast while these idiots of all political parties throw money around on useless shit and studies like there is no tommorow
                      Unions are killing the country
                      Just for example; Do you think a young person with no education should be making $150 k after one year with for power co. ? Maybe its bullshit , i dont know ? Thats what one guy told me ? They work hard and there is danger , but holy shit , if thats true its crazy
                      It recently cost $500 k to do a little work on a 28’ x 80’ bridge (approx size)!bridge in this district

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E1D9588-0570-4751-94BE-E3456B33B66F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	766928

They deserve a high five today.

Comment

IMO just like nurses, linemen are a rare breed, lots of RISK, crazy hours, stupid weather...nothing I and any in my family want to do, thank you guys/gals! But yes, infrastructure is going down hill fast! Priorities need a reset!

Comment

Four years ago I read Saskpower had 1,000,000 poles to replace in the next 10 years. So I put a switch to connect a generator to the house.

We have some underground and some overhead lines on our farm. Not sure if it is true, but I was told underground has a 40 year life. Must be getting close if that is true.

Comment

I agree and think a wise purchase will be an on-farm generator.

Because like I said most of our poles have the stamp on them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.