• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the message?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the message?

I daily read on here so much discontent with the economic condition of our country. However I have no way of knowing if it only the ag sector that feels this way. Reading newspapers and letters to editors I would surmise that it’s primarily the ag community and quite likely the oil production sector as well.
    Myself, I would favour separation from Thunder Bay west but doubt there is much support. So, we in ag can try to elect representatives that support us, but we’re a minority. Individually we spend vastly more to earn a living than others and support others incomes in ag but likely receive little voting support from those individuals.
    But we won’t unionize, it is the only answer. Our forefathers were intelligent enough to own grain companies but we’ve given that away. So, every man for himself.

Originally posted by samhill View Post
    I daily read on here so much discontent with the economic condition of our country. However I have no way of knowing if it only the ag sector that feels this way. Reading newspapers and letters to editors I would surmise that it’s primarily the ag community and quite likely the oil production sector as well.
    Myself, I would favour separation from Thunder Bay west but doubt there is much support. So, we in ag can try to elect representatives that support us, but we’re a minority. Individually we spend vastly more to earn a living than others and support others incomes in ag but likely receive little voting support from those individuals.
    But we won’t unionize, it is the only answer. Our forefathers were intelligent enough to own grain companies but we’ve given that away. So, every man for himself.
    Lots of truth in that!!
    Too many want to expand at the expense of others. That's how they rule all of us.

Comment

Both the oil and agriculture industries are dependent on cyclical commodity markets. It’s been that way from the start. In both industries there are a lot that are still doing very well.

Many of the medium sized to large sized farmers who have been around for awhile have decent incomes and lots of equity.

There are lots of smaller farms that require off farm income. They can’t compete for land with the with the bigger farms.

Unless you are advocating government intervention to support smaller farms these trends will continue.

We don’t need just a few mega farms. We would be better off supporting more smaller to medium sized farms. Why should taxpayers subsidize multimillion dollar farms who don’t need help? Target the subsidies to those who need the help not the greedy few.

Comment

Not really advocating anything. Not in favour of a union, accept the status quo.
        Would favour separation at Thunder Bay, as have no influence on the federal government here in the west.
        But that won’t happen as most of our pop here is non ag and as immigration numbers increase they will likely favour a Liberal government.
        Just concentrate on marketing and lobby for increased commodities transport as best we can.
        CWB is gone, thankful for that. There exists a chance that we’ll get a Conservative government at some point, Trudeau is helping on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
          Not really advocating anything. Not in favour of a union, accept the status quo.
          Would favour separation at Thunder Bay, as have no influence on the federal government here in the west.
          But that won’t happen as most of our pop here is non ag and as immigration numbers increase they will likely favour a Liberal government.
          Just concentrate on marketing and lobby for increased commodities transport as best we can.
          CWB is gone, thankful for that. There exists a chance that we’ll get a Conservative government at some point, Trudeau is helping on that one.
          Perhaps, Sam, we could form a Western Federation, with the goal of getting similar and comparable rights and concessions as Quebec has demanded, and gotten, over time. Over immigration. Ag. Etc. Representation. With the idea that a western confederation would have more clout than any one province. Actually, it would be similar to Norway's journey towards independence. Norway was part of Sweden, and seceded peacefully & with planning. A western federation would have more economic clout, protection of culture, and a view towards independence. I do not see Toronto and the GTA ever being aware of the needs of other parts of Canada, ever again. And they will become a Sactuary City which will descend into being a hell-hole. A divorce would be desirable. They already agree to renting condos based on religion. That will expand.

A strong western federation, loose, could define vision and policy, over a one year period , and then notify Parliament. We really need to take back some of our power from Ottawa. A few thoughts. Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.