• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much has been lost????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much has been lost????

How much has this rain cost western canadian farmers....

My guess is easily a billion dollars in downgrades and lost crop...

Canola might even out for lowering green counts but then the price will go down...

Tough grain will be a real problem...

But its early ...is what the crop report will say this week...

What’s the price from a 1 to a feed , add that up by average yields on 80% of the crop still out .... and that’s just wheat .
    This is on top of already horribly low 1970’s prices .
    Yes grades held somewhat last year , but it was -5 every night from about this same time till mid October.... to cold to sprout . Much different scenario right now

Comment

I can see inputs/seed, machinery/parts and elevation/handling going way downNOT!

Comment

How much did we loose before harvest even started? Prices were garbage at the start and are going to drop further.

Comment

The law of diminishing returns.....2016 we sold red lentils off the combine at 30 cents barely an extra 3 ...

Today we get 16.5 cents for #2reds....but its been done in steps so you can never see the effect...sort of like frog boiling...

Dad bought a combine in 1975 for 36000 dollars and we still got the harvest done in reasonable time frame...

The same combine costs 20 times that and wheat is worth less than in 1975...My fuel bill is more than that 1975 combine and I don't put anywhere near the hours on machinery than we did back then,,,and equipment at rest does not emit pollution..

We are so fu cked for being told we should feed the world...

Comment

Maybe it's time to swath it all..let it rot in the fields and collect crop insurance?
            Will be more net dollars than fighting with muck grain just to get feed anyway..
            Growing cereals might be a thing of the past..just when we thought to increase them because of stupid canola seed prices..

Comment

Maybe a billion dollars in crop quality is pretty accurate.

But Canada has lost 1000 times more than that having skippy in charge. That will be hard to recover from.

Comment

If elevators couldn't fill a train before the rain...how the **** are they going to fill one after it?????

We will sit for a week minimum now....

Comment

we got another 1/2 inch this morning

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    The law of diminishing returns.....2016 we sold red lentils off the combine at 30 cents barely an extra 3 ...

Today we get 16.5 cents for #2reds....but its been done in steps so you can never see the effect...sort of like frog boiling...

Dad bought a combine in 1975 for 36000 dollars and we still got the harvest done in reasonable time frame...

The same combine costs 20 times that and wheat is worth less than in 1975...My fuel bill is more than that 1975 combine and I don't put anywhere near the hours on machinery than we did back then,,,and equipment at rest does not emit pollution..

We are so fu cked for being told we should feed the world...
                    One thing I don't get is that we are told we need a seed tax to increase yields, that not enough is being spent on research. All grain prices are in the tank right now because everybody is predicting a large crop. Why should we spend more to grow more and receive less!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      One thing I don't get is that we are told we need a seed tax to increase yields, that not enough is being spent on research. All grain prices are in the tank right now because everybody is predicting a large crop. Why should we spend more to grow more and receive less!?!?
                      This isn't being persued for Primary Producer's benefit, but we are going to pay for it!

Comment

Come on Climate Emergency, destroy more crops, shortages to teach consumers about hunger?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                          Maybe a billion dollars in crop quality is pretty accurate.

But Canada has lost 1000 times more than that having skippy in charge. That will be hard to recover from.
                          What absolute nonsense you post. That would imply a $1 Trillion loss due to Trudeau. Canada's total GDP rose from only $1.55 Trillion in 2015 to $1.7 Trillion in 2018 so where did your fictitious $1 Trillion loss come from?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                            What absolute nonsense you post. That would imply a $1 Trillion loss due to Trudeau. Canada's total GDP rose from only $1.55 Trillion in 2015 to $1.7 Trillion in 2018 so where did your fictitious $1 Trillion loss come from?
                            Hundreds of billions of dollars in lost investment, resource revenue, cancelled projects, money fleeing.

Want me to add it up for you grass.

Lost resource revenue - TMX and Energy east. canola. easy $50B
                            Lost opportunity cost not closing the heavy differential with export capacity easy $50B
                            NGL plant cancellations - $200B
                            Investment leaving the country $250B
                            Extra debt added since election $125B

Comment

In answer to the thread starting question, I hate to say it, but far, far less than most think. I have lived through swamp conditions, and to be frank, if the crops are standing, not much will occur. Swathed sure, lots of hurt. Canola will be just fine, in fact, more than fine. the talk of bushel weight loss from rain is especially puzzling; maybe for 27 years I have been exceptionally lucky to not have weights lowered because of rain.

There is LOTS of time. And besides, feed wheat prices are darn close to milling prices anyway if you shop around. If you KNOW your crops have gone to feed quality, I would be booking some in now!

I am completely serious, and do not mean to belittle this weather, or the concerns over its effects. I can see how if this is an unusual occurrence, rain during harvest, it could be concerning. But this is just typical for us, and a far greater concern is frost in the next two weeks or so...

Chin up guys, it truly is not as bad as you may currently think...

Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.