• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooler planetaries

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooler planetaries

Has anyone found an effective additive that lowers oil temperature in the rear planetaries on Deere sprayers. I do use synthetic oil and yes I do travel too long on roads fully loaded.

If it’s a 4830 do not over fill they heat with to much oil

Comment

years ago we added power up to a gearbox on a versatile 4750 swather, it was amazing how much it cooled
      in the oil patch days we ran synthetic gear oil in the pumps when the oil co's worked the piss out of them , really helped
      i am surprised a planetary would run hot ?
      the planetaries on our rogator don't even get warm

Comment

Don't know the exact name but some red type of gear oil from Texas refinery in moose jaw my brother uses keeps the planetaries cooler on his 4730....considerably. ...

Comment

I don't even keep dinosaur gearbox juice around anymore. Swather knife drive gearboxes taught me that back in the 90's. I believe powerup is a bandaid that current synthetic gear oils have made obsolete. If your gearbox is still running hot with a 75W90 synthetic in it you have other problems.

Comment

Finally, I have an answer on this site! Spent a decade burning up rear planetaries and every oil burning itself black after 100hrs of use. Until I tried Lucas hub oil. 85w140. Planetaries ran cooler and I no longer needed to change the oil between engine oil intervals, it still looked great after 200 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Daylate View Post
              Finally, I have an answer on this site! Spent a decade burning up rear planetaries and every oil burning itself black after 100hrs of use. Until I tried Lucas hub oil. 85w140. Planetaries ran cooler and I no longer needed to change the oil between engine oil intervals, it still looked great after 200 hours.
              Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Don't know the exact name but some red type of gear oil from Texas refinery in moose jaw my brother uses keeps the planetaries cooler on his 4730....considerably. ...
                This might be Royal Purple.

Has kind of a Cult following. From Texas.

You can get it at Canadian Tire, Amazon, Jegs Racing.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/royal-purple-max-gear-oil-75w140-946-ml-0289087p.html#spc

About the most useful tool on my farm is one of those point and shoot thermometers.

Greatest thing for checking for hot bearings and gearboxes on haying or harvesting equipment.

You can do the whole machine in less than 5 min. Saves wearing out shafts and starting fires.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-infrared-thermometer-0574632p.html#srp

Comment

funny these manufacturers can get away this shit in this day and age . planetaries should go thousands of hours on an oil change ? this is not common on other sprayer makes ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    funny these manufacturers can get away this shit in this day and age . planetaries should go thousands of hours on an oil change ? this is not common on other sprayer makes ?
                    Oh come on......its a John Deere! It would never be an engineering problem, it must be the oil's fault! Or the Operator!

Maybe a Regulator is needed to force recalls for disasters in Ag machinery engineering, right bucket?

Comment

Rumrocks! I lied to you. sorry. Its AMS 85w140. 18 hour day yesterday. Was tired. Not sure why I thought Lucas. That is what we were using in the quadtracs. Hopefully you see this in time.

Comment

The 4830 and 4840 were very not running machines and hoses did break because of the heat. We added some oil from a company that's always at Farm progress show selling their products. It helped.

The new one has a 1600 gal tank and I load at home and go with no issues and its just deere oil.

Comment

Rumrocks! I lied to you. sorry. Its AMS 85w140. 18 hour day yesterday. Was tired. Not sure why I thought Lucas. That is what we were using in the quadtracs. Hopefully you see this in time.
                          Thanks for the advice, we used Amsoil in the planetaries all summer and never had oil breakdown even though the oil temperatures were 93 degrees c in the rear, that's one tough oil.

Comment

What temps are others reading, MacDon M150 planetaries running Synthetic, on hot day, 130F. Knife drive 90F.

Comment

I'm surprised Chuck hasn't chimed in yet to deny that planets( or planetaries) can be cooler. He thought they only get warmer...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.