• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow Peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks very obvious to me the yellow pea export market is going to be the shits.

Comment

Can someone in the know tell me why market access isn't more important than new varieties. ....and why it isn't in saskpulse's wheelhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        Can someone in the know tell me why market access isn't more important than new varieties. ....and why it isn't in saskpulse's wheelhouse?
        Its all connected....there better be some research into root rot or some years Canadian supply could be small. But market access is needed regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          Market access is a huge part of Pulse Canada's program. SpG already funds it thru it's national partner.

And they do have a marketing newsletter to keep producers in the newsletter. That came out of the green lentil marketing study in about 2006 when Large green lentils hit 8 cents a lb. Then they expanded it to all pulses.

Comment

Average SK prices for yellows didn't drop below $10 till July last year. Quotes were as high as 14.07 late Feb early Mar.
            High prices cure high prices

Comment

Seen this today , not sure how accurate though ....

If so it will further pressure prices down in all pulses

Still by far the biggest issue in pulses is root rots and and understanding what is exaggerating the problem beyond crop rotation and why it is showing up in dry soils and areas. It's not only a wet soils issue. There are other factors that greatly exaggerate the problem but it's taboo to even mention . If they don't address the root rot issue completely the pulse industry will collapse and all the other things they do are / will be a complete waste of time and money if we can't grow pulses . Fusarium root rot is going to take out the pulse industry if not addressed .

Comment

Sask Pulse is exactly working on the two main issues mentioned. A bunch of research into root rot for at least last three years. Varieties with some resistance are in the pipeline.
                And market access is the number one effort thru Pulse Canada. Which Sask Pulse funds in a major way along with other provinces and trade. In fact efforts have basically been doubled in last few years. It’s an immense complex area.
                This news out of India was anticipated by no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
                  Sask Pulse is exactly working on the two main issues mentioned. A bunch of research into root rot for at least last three years. Varieties with some resistance are in the pipeline.
                  And market access is the number one effort thru Pulse Canada. Which Sask Pulse funds in a major way along with other provinces and trade. In fact efforts have basically been doubled in last few years. It’s an immense complex area.
                  This news out of India was anticipated by no one.

We already know the cause of root rots.

Why throw money away. Quit shielding BASF.

That news from India wasn't a surprise... My contacts in Saudi Arabia and China have been talking about it for two weeks...

Is the announcement on Friday out of India also going to be a complete surprise?

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    We already know the cause of root rots.

Why throw money away. Quit shielding BASF.

That news from India wasn't a surprise... My contacts in Saudi Arabia and China have been talking about it for two weeks...

Is the announcement on Friday out of India also going to be a complete surprise?
                    Well ok then.
                    Know the cause of root rot? Nothing to do with BASF. And the work is toward a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
                      Well ok then.
                      Know the cause of root rot? Nothing to do with BASF. And the work is toward a solution.

How come organic peas get no root rot. How come it is more prevalent in fields treated with sulfenafanacil?

Why doesn't it show up till after herbicide application?

How come our fields are disease free and the one down the road is a write-off.

That "flash" or transient crop yellowing as BASF calls it... That's what creates a pathway for infection.

The Rack has done a very interesting study... That spga does not want to publicize.

Comment

Yeah now there are rumors that India is going to impose a 25% import duty on lentil imports next.

Comment

After a dry summer I was considering growing peas again so I guess I will rethink that idea.

The last couple of years that I grew peas they looked great until I sprayed them and then they were just devastated with root rot. It also rained to the point of flooding at about the same time so I don't know what does the most damage. Not growing them for awhile might be best for me.

Comment

If pea and lentils acres get halved, what is going to replace them? 25 or 30 million acres of canola next year? That would make Agrium happy. They are likely jacking fertilizer prices right now. There are brush piles on newly cleared land burning around here. Combine that with $8 canola next year and the 80's are back.

Comment

Soybeans? But around here they were a bit of a bust.
                              Green peas....much smaller market can be over produced.
                              Red Lentils....in the toilet too
                              Other types of lentils will follow reds if too many acres shift to them.
                              Chick Peas....small area suitable (weather dependant)

The huge Indian demand was too good to be true for any length of time. ...and next year?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                                Soybeans? But around here they were a bit of a bust.
                                Green peas....much smaller market can be over produced.
                                Red Lentils....in the toilet too
                                Other types of lentils will follow reds if too many acres shift to them.
                                Chick Peas....small area suitable (weather dependant)

The huge Indian demand was too good to be true for any length of time. ...and next year?
                                India is typically a large part of green pea demand. Scratch my previous somewhat bullish 2017 crop thoughts on green peas

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.