• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are things on the farm?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are things on the farm?

FCC mailout advising of the they will not be increasing the interest rate on input loans until April 15th. A nice gesture but the unharvested acres will not have changed at that time.
    At least it’s something’ though , has anyone at other financial institutions had any concessions?
    I heard that one of the bigger credit unions recently acquired the services of a lawyer with the reputation as one of the slimiest in the province, guess they are setting up for a different position.
    Gotta love big business hey!

I use this Nutrian Scotiabank line and they give 2 weeks grace which isnt much but something.

Comment

April 15 gives you time to get your 2020 CCGA advance on seeded acres so you can roll the dice one more time.

Lets them kick the can down the road again (I'm told there was no interest on 2018 advances paid out at the new late deadline of December 2019 even without grain sale documentation)

FCC and govt don't want to admit just how close to the edge it is for a lot of guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
        April 15 gives you time to get your 2020 CCGA advance on seeded acres so you can roll the dice one more time.

Lets them kick the can down the road again (I'm told there was no interest on 2018 advances paid out at the new late deadline of December 2019 even without grain sale documentation)

FCC and govt don't want to admit just how close to the edge it is for a lot of guys.
        Ensures another crop goes in the ground so the leaches have a bit more blood to suck.

Comment

FCC was always Feb 15 than the trains didn’t run one year so they extended to mar 15 and left it there. Now you say it’s April 15? I bet they leave it there for next year than.

At some point the can is gonna hit the wall and fly up in the face.

Comment

Every banker and input supplier you talk to says the same thing....it ain't pretty out there.

Comment

It isn’t pretty. We run zero opp and have been cash for last five years it was a goal I wanted for our size of farm. But with crop out we might have to look at going in and saying please sir I want some more.

Farming what a fun time.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                It isn’t pretty. We run zero opp and have been cash for last five years it was a goal I wanted for our size of farm. But with crop out we might have to look at going in and saying please sir I want some more.

Farming what a fun time.
                That is being financially prudent. Had you not set that goal, you may have been asking please let me farm another year instead of may I have some more.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                  That is being financially prudent. Had you not set that goal, you may have been asking please let me farm another year instead of may I have some more.
                  IMO anyone growing the land base +10% per year would not be in that situation. But you decided to grow the working capital which isn’t a sexy topic at the farm shows and now you can weather the storm. Even though you might not like doing it you can still do it with no worries. Congrats

Iceman

Comment

I always felt a farm needs a written plan that gets looked at every few months. I bought land when I thought it was cheap. My banker at the time said rent. Yea great advise.

Now I find equipment outrageous and land outrageous.

It’s also about looking at the big picture.

Went and seen a golf course in Florida that was purchased for $850,000.00. It’s going private membership and million dollar homes around. Little fixer upper.

You can sell lots on 9 holes and still have nine for private use.

Farming and buying land at 500000 and equipment at a million isn’t making money.

Rules in canada hurt farmers.

Crop in the field isn’t fun but it happens ever once and a while. You realize gov programs are useless real fast and don’t help.

Private insurance show me a check.

Comment

Can anyone comment on the private insurance and crop left out?????

Comment

I often wonder what the percentage of acres in western Canada have inputs borrowed against.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                          I often wonder what the percentage of acres in western Canada have inputs borrowed against.
                          I would say the vast majority. Went to a retailer to buy some chemical a couple years ago. The lady at the front desk grabbed the FCC clipboard without even asking if I wanted to pay. When I said I was going to pay for it, she said sorry most people put on the FCC account.

Comment

So why do producers let it get to this point? I understand 3 month short term borrowing and sometimes you have to do that but letting a years inputs go on credit 12-16 months is crazy in my world.

Interest rates on some of these accounts gets as high as 9.49%.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
                              So why do producers let it get to this point? I understand 3 month short term borrowing and sometimes you have to do that but letting a years inputs go on credit 12-16 months is crazy in my world.

Interest rates on some of these accounts gets as high as 9.49%.
                              It is crazy. But we all don’t have the same equity position, the same success or failure in crops, the same start in farming. Once in that hole, it is almighty hard to extract yourself. Mostly I would say it is an equity problem for mostly younger guys with little or no outside income, poor or no established credit, repeated poor crops, no one co-signing for them, and no or not enough paid for land. Some producers have precious little choice, if they want to farm. And I repeat, once in that position, getting out is a long term hell.

When your banker says farming is not paying for the land anymore, there is a big problem.

It is coming home to roost.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.