• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDP

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDP

Take the monthly numbers from Jan to now and strip real estate related and government out. It's a very scary picture.

I have said for a long time that Canada has no real economy. Real estate speculation driven by central bank money printing does not a real economy make. Even ag after a fair amount of expansion is shrinking now that competitors in the Black sea and Argentina are growing and markets like India are shrinking. There is never any new project announcements anymore without politicians standing by. Local canola crusher did some upgrades recently but their always is some government program involved. Once the debt ceiling is reached it will all be over. The debt ceiling where investors stop lending, not an artificial one like they always are talking about in the US.

Comment

Klause agree,

Canada appears economically rudderless right now in my view. Our country is going to face significant economic headwinds heading into 2018. Proposed small business tax reform could drop all of Canada into severe recession (IMO) while our GDP remains primarily supported by deficit government spending. Now a small business tax that will hit our hard-earned retirement funds from farmers to entrepreneurs, the list goes on. Good grief . . . .

Comment

was in saskatoon on monday, turns out princess auto is closed .
        so drove around the north end of town.
        guess i have not done that in a while.

i could not believe the amount of new industrial buildings. 100s
        large small everything in between.
        25 % of them occupied, kinda like a new ghost town.
        maybe there is a demand , but i just can not see it.

you would think, by the look of it. there is some kind of crash coming,
        at least in the construction end.

Comment

All we need is another rate hike. Lol
          Last edited by the big wheel; Oct 11, 2017, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
            All we need is another rate.
            Bunch of empty Sears stores should help.

Plus 600 jobs here in town and a massive warehouse that could handle over 100 trucks at a time.
            Maybe I can rent it cheap to store hay

Comment

I have a brother in law in construction and he said once they finish the buildings they are on now there is nothing. The company he works for is even going to leave the province.

Comment

What's going to happen to the local(Regina) economy when the by-pass is complete? The local spin offs must be huge. Mocaic Stadium is done. I don't recall hearing of any big "projects" on the horizon. Forcing/stimulating economies is scary because if it would be lackluster without the projects....the future might be bleak.

I don't understand how people can think GDP/economies can grow, at any rate, forever. I never spent a day in an economics class but would like someone to explain to me how perpetual growth is even a realistic expectation. How many farms and businesses, at times, would then be considered in a recession? How many times has your farm been in recession during your tenure. Is your farm STILL growing?

Please responde....

Comment

It's unrealistic to expect growth year over year unless you are union and are talking pay increases.

Comment

Rudderless with an anchor for a leader. Everything needs a reset except grain prices. Everything we purchase seems to be overpriced.

Comment

Rudderless with an anchor for a leader. Everything needs a reset except grain prices. Everything we purchase seems to be overpriced.

Comment

Sunny days ahead 🙄

Comment

The economy is inflationary and the population is growing so GDP needs to keep up or quality of life starts going down.

4 years ago a big cement /aggregate company in Saskatoon had 300 trucks on the road hauling gravel rock etc. Most to private developers mines etc. Today less than 100 and most working on the two overpasses in Saskatoon. That's telling...

Couple friends went from the oilfield to building houses and now they are out of work again...

Not good.

Comment

Maybe its time for a reset? Let it all implode and build it up again? This cheap money policy central banks have pushed on everything was doomed to fail. Eventually the piper needs to be paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                              The economy is inflationary and the population is growing so GDP needs to keep up or quality of life starts going down.

4 years ago a big cement /aggregate company in Saskatoon had 300 trucks on the road hauling gravel rock etc. Most to private developers mines etc. Today less than 100 and most working on the two overpasses in Saskatoon. That's telling...

Couple friends went from the oilfield to building houses and now they are out of work again...

Not good.
                              Actually the economy is in deflation right at the moment particularly in USD terms. Gas prices 1.15 two years ago in AB, now 0.92. Can get a loaf of bread in NoFrills today for 0.97 which is about the same price as 40 years ago. Nat gas way cheaper than even 15 years ago. In large parts of the US (central and eastern state, you can buy 3.78 L of milk for 0.80 US. Wages in many industries are the same as 20 years ago. This is why government is working over time to manufacture inflation. All that manufactured inflation has done is create asset bubbles.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...