• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are things on the farm?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    It is crazy. But we all don’t have the same equity position, the same success or failure in crops, the same start in farming. Once in that hole, it is almighty hard to extract yourself. Mostly I would say it is an equity problem for mostly younger guys with little or no outside income, poor or no established credit, repeated poor crops, no one co-signing for them, and no or not enough paid for land. Some producers have precious little choice, if they want to farm. And I repeat, once in that position, getting out is a long term hell.

When your banker says farming is not paying for the land anymore, there is a big problem.

It is coming home to roost.

I came across a bit harsh Sheep, I know you have unique details and hoping for better times in the future. I was thinking more of those that seem to show off with the fancy line of equipment and who knows what else. But then again, I would have no idea of what someone's finances are by driving by a fancy yard or seeing the complete line of equipment get traded every year. Could all be paid for in which I tip my hat and say well done.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
      I often wonder what the percentage of acres in western Canada have inputs borrowed against.
      I often wonder how much cheaper the guy that pre-buys with cash can run compared to the guy that can't ?

How many $ per acre?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
        I often wonder how much cheaper the guy that pre-buys with cash can run compared to the guy that can't ?

How many $ per acre?
        If your normal production costs for the gross margin calculation run $160-180 per acre, financing that for 7-15 months would add $9 to as to $20 per acre

Cash and volume discounts would be over and above this.

Comment

Some of our neighbors think they can borrow themselves out of debt?
          Some will never see daylight.
          So they add more acres to try..

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
            I came across a bit harsh Sheep, I know you have unique details and hoping for better times in the future. I was thinking more of those that seem to show off with the fancy line of equipment and who knows what else. But then again, I would have no idea of what someone's finances are by driving by a fancy yard or seeing the complete line of equipment get traded every year. Could all be paid for in which I tip my hat and say well done.
            Not at all! I feel like I misread you now. I wasn’t talking about me per se. Since we began the journey of farming differently, we dug out of the hole. But I know a few guys who are in it and I commiserate with cuz it is real tough.

Comment

Speaking with the owner of a local independent fertilizer dealer in our area this last fall. He was having a very hard time getting paid for fertilizer. Said he usually has a few people each year have trouble but this year there were a lot more guys asking for more time to pay.

Comment

Anyone crazy enough to leave money on the books will get burnt
                No credit around here
                All learned in the 80’s & 90’s
                You have fcc , bank or cash

Comment

North of Moose Jaw

Comment

What crop is he combining?

Comment

I think it’s durum being cut with a flex header.

Comment

Originally posted by Saskpraireboy View Post
                        I think it’s durum being cut with a flex header.
                        mouse flavored pasta?

Comment

No problem if it is you can clean it move on.

Guy is trying to get crop off when all levels of government don’t even acknowledge what the harvest was like.

Boboo is still studying.

Are we run by complete ****ing morons.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                            No problem if it is you can clean it move on.

Guy is trying to get crop off when all levels of government don’t even acknowledge what the harvest was like.

Boboo is still studying.

Are we run by complete ****ing morons.
                            No, just crooks who have changed the rules over the years to avoid as many payouts as possible.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.