• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bit wet in S MB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit wet in S MB

I think we'll be Ok for moisture now. 4.25" here since yesterday mid morning! YR.NO was predicting 3.5" as far back as Saturday, Environment Canada issued a rainfall warning yesterday mid afternoon for as much as 2" in places. I welcome it for the grass and our farm in general but the flooding in the basement not so much. How big an area in SE SK/MB got wet as it seemed widespread on the radar?

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    I think we'll be Ok for moisture now. 4.25" here since yesterday mid morning! YR.NO was predicting 3.5" as far back as Saturday, Environment Canada issued a rainfall warning yesterday mid afternoon for as much as 2" in places. I welcome it for the grass and our farm in general but the flooding in the basement not so much. How big an area in SE SK/MB got wet as it seemed widespread on the radar?
    About 3.5" here since Sunday. first 1"+ rain in 2 years.

Comment

That is alot of rain at one time, especially over a 24 hour period. You would have to have special conditions for that much rain not to pool.

A world of extremes.

Comment

That kind of rain event would have flooded out more acres. I'll take the Zero we got and be happy. To those who got good rain to watch things grow with the plus 30 on way.

Comment

That system was stalled over southern MB and looked like a pump sucking up moisture from Minneapolis and south. I can smell the mushrooms popping from Regina👍

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            That kind of rain event would have flooded out more acres. I'll take the Zero we got and be happy. To those who got good rain to watch things grow with the plus 30 on way.
            Plus 30 ?????
            Are you hogging all the heat since April was warmer here than it currently is and has been in most of a month.

Haven’t got any hay down yet and don’t think there’ll be any coming down for a while. The few fields that are down in the neighbourhood are very well rinsed out already. The corn is shivering patiently awaiting the sun ......... hopefully it comes out sometime soon. 🍀

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              That is alot of rain at one time, especially over a 24 hour period. You would have to have special conditions for that much rain not to pool.

A world of extremes.
              That's the funny thing - there isn't that much pooled - apart from in the f'kn basement. Sloughs are topped up but lot spots in the pasture are generally dry. This picture was taken on a bit higher ground but I just moved 65 pairs through the gap between me and the quad and they never made a mark. Permanent pasture can handle a lot of water - no doubt my corn will have water sitting in every low spot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7178.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	767471

Comment

Here in the RRV we got 1.5 inches, about 40 Kms north of U.S. border. First decent rain since seeding, before that in June we had a 4/10 and and a 3 weeks later 6/10. Been hot and dry. This was much needed.
                Crops been hanging on, but was dry a long ways down.

Comment

200mm june 76mm sofar in july lots of crops suffering,little spraying done,weeds will be a large problem,hay is better quanty but quality is going to be very poor,but will be lots of stuff,dont think we will be haying before the end of july. Be a good yr for the grinders.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                    Here in the RRV we got 1.5 inches, about 40 Kms north of U.S. border. First decent rain since seeding, before that in June we had a 4/10 and and a 3 weeks later 6/10. Been hot and dry. This was much needed.
                    Crops been hanging on, but was dry a long ways down.
                    You're exactly straight east of me then. It's weird looking at the rainfall totals, maybe not as big a general rain as I thought. See lots of 1/2" and 1" totals not far from us - like 15-40 kms away. Guess we must have been the bullseye this time.

Comment

That's the funny thing - there isn't that much pooled - apart from in the f'kn basement. Sloughs are topped up but lot spots in the pasture are generally dry. This picture was taken on a bit higher ground but I just moved 65 pairs through the gap between me and the quad and they never made a mark. Permanent pasture can handle a lot of water - no doubt my corn will have water sitting in every low spot.

[ATTACH]4511[/ATTACH]
                      Nice looking pasture.🍀

Seeing the electric fence posts on your quad reminds of one fellow who used to carry them in a bundle off the right side of his quad so he could pull or push them in without getting off. One time as he got off some posts jumped out of place and jammed the throttle wide open. He said it sunk in the neighbours slough after going across the road and through two fences. Sometimes 💩 happens.

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance grass but that what Salvages your previously poor season, or just gives you some breathing space or if you have a indian summer and season extends it will be almost normal?

Comment

I have them bungy corded on Woodland. I'm worse for having reels bump off the front than posts so I bungy them too now.

Mallee, it'll do the plants a lot of good in terms of recovering from the drought - will strengthen them greatly for next year. It'll grow us a lot more for the next month than we'd otherwise expect but grass growth here is very seasonal due to the climate so we lost some early June grass growth that we'll never get back. Typically we grow 70% of the year's grass by July 1st. It'll grow now through September but not the way it does in early June. Still, can't complain our grass is awesome compared to what it was a month ago. Should be enough time and moisture to make a corn crop but it's been slow with first dry, then cool - it needs the heat and no early frost.

Comment

I have them bungy corded on Woodland. I'm worse for having reels bump off the front than posts so I bungy them too now.

Mallee, it'll do the plants a lot of good in terms of recovering from the drought - will strengthen them greatly for next year. It'll grow us a lot more for the next month than we'd otherwise expect but grass growth here is very seasonal due to the climate so we lost some early June grass growth that we'll never get back. Typically we grow 70% of the year's grass by July 1st. It'll grow now through September but not the way it does in early June. Still, can't complain our grass is awesome compared to what it was a month ago. Should be enough time and moisture to make a corn crop but it's been slow with first dry, then cool - it needs the heat and no early frost.
                            the canola and cereal stands are average, but if we didnt get that rain, the crops would not have filled seed. this will really benefit later crops like soybeans and corn.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                              Nice looking pasture.🍀

Seeing the electric fence posts on your quad reminds of one fellow who used to carry them in a bundle off the right side of his quad so he could pull or push them in without getting off. One time as he got off some posts jumped out of place and jammed the throttle wide open. He said it sunk in the neighbours slough after going across the road and through two fences. Sometimes 💩 happens.
                              I have found the quad to be an excellent tool for making long handled spades into short handled spades. Also works well for cow chasing sticks, rakes, stakes etc. It is however not very effective at doing the same to fence posts, or T bars etc. When they contact a tree, they are more likely to swing around and smash the driver in the back, which generally causes him/her to hit the throttle even harder, which doesn't help the situation at all.

Glad you finally got some rain Grassfarmer, that is long overdue, never too much rain when growing grass.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.