• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to talk about 2020????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want to talk about 2020????

does anyone start planning for 2020 with the lower rainfall in 2017, 2018 and now 2019....

There is no sub soil moisture....havent had the rain this year to have overall good crops...

Germination was shitty in many areas....

So what happens next year....Not a downer or negative....just being realistic...before I get shit on about the topic...

Expect seed, chemical, fuel, fertilizer, machinery, land and rental rates to drop to make your choice to farm viable.....

It has evolved into one huge ****en risk.....

Comment

Canola seed will be $750-800/bag, fert going up considerably over the fall and winter, chem prices up 10-15%, and machinery well won’t talk about that. Commodity prices keep falling and falling.
      Let’s just hope we have someone else leading this country in 2020, actually in October, if not boy are we doomed.
      I’m just thankful for all the moisture we’ve had in the past month, thinking about 2020 would be the furthest from my mind.

Comment

Fed up with grain farming. Been a slow process, but I just have come to detest it. For me, I hope to seed most down into hay next year. Maybe seed 300 acres of grains for rotation and feed. Maybe even rent it all out and get a life.

I have had enough. Glad I did start the change to sheep a few years go, it can not come fast enough.

If I had known how crazy it was gunna get, I would have chosen a different life path long ago.

Expanding acres is an impossibility.
        Upgrading machinery is an impossibility.
        Marketing control is nil.
        Weather is too stressful.
        When family gets affected by my depression, that is just wrong.

What a waste of 27 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          does anyone start planning for 2020 with the lower rainfall in 2017, 2018 and now 2019....

There is no sub soil moisture....havent had the rain this year to have overall good crops...

Germination was shitty in many areas....

So what happens next year....Not a downer or negative....just being realistic...before I get shit on about the topic...

Comment

Gonna put an ad in the paper. For sale 20 quarters. Phone ritchies. Then flee to the US seeking refuge from political oppression and to escape the ravages of our agricultural industry.

Comment

We are just peasants out here, we are to feed the world for nothing.
              Oh ya, and let’s leep teaching the world how to be more productive, if there is anymore to teach.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                We are just peasants out here, we are to feed the world for nothing.
                Oh ya, and let’s leep teaching the world how to be more productive, if there is anymore to teach.
                Lots to teach....first we send them discers to replace their hoes,,,and they can pull discers behind an ox or horse....dont need hydraulics...thats what all the extra bodies are for....then we will start sending them tractors with their new wealth and pretty soon Canada will look like it did before the white man showed up...

We gave the Ukraine our pulse market, Khakistan our flax market....Russia and the southern states are gaining in canola production...

And everyone above is well supported...Look at the Ukraine ...their newly elected president /comedien came over and went home with a 45 million dollar cheque...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Fed up with grain farming. Been a slow process, but I just have come to detest it. For me, I hope to seed most down into hay next year. Maybe seed 300 acres of grains for rotation and feed. Maybe even rent it all out and get a life.

I have had enough. Glad I did start the change to sheep a few years go, it can not come fast enough.

If I had known how crazy it was gunna get, I would have chosen a different life path long ago.

Expanding acres is an impossibility.
                  Upgrading machinery is an impossibility.
                  Marketing control is nil.
                  Weather is too stressful.
                  When family gets affected by my depression, that is just wrong.

What a waste of 27 years.
                  if you think you detest grain farming in inclimate weather, wait till you have thousands of bales of hay to put up and the weather is like we are getting this summer, rain every day, cool, cloudy, calm... Grass is always greener... And could easily buy a full line of 30 year old grain equipment cheaper than hay equipment lately.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    if you think you detest grain farming in inclimate weather, wait till you have thousands of bales of hay to put up and the weather is like we are getting this summer, rain every day, cool, cloudy, calm... Grass is always greener... And could easily buy a full line of 30 year old grain equipment cheaper than hay equipment lately.
                    It is not even the weather and grain farming for me. It is simply I have fallen out of love. And those hay conditions are generally what we are always up against here in the rain zone, nothing new to me there. I can buy the hay equipment I need for under 40 000. Maybe even 30 000.

Trade in one tractor and get a discbine, baler, and rake.

I have no illusions in my decision, believe me. It is not about easy street, it is about regaining control. After raising sheep and having regained near complete control of my destiny, it simply confirms that grain farming is not for me anymore. Biggest bill for sheep is a pallet of lamb creep for under 1000 bucks. Mineral and such is couple hundred a month. Fencing is the biggest investment, but even then it makes grain farming costs look like sin.

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                      Gonna put an ad in the paper. For sale 20 quarters. Phone ritchies. Then flee to the US seeking refuge from political oppression and to escape the ravages of our agricultural industry.
                      Just claim refugee status and flee to Ontario or Quebec..... get put up in a 5 star hotel and get $3000 a month on the tax payers dime to do nothing 👍👍

Comment

Alot less canola if price still at 9 bucks.
                        Seed canola first when there is more moisture.
                        Seed same depth as wht and bly..
                        If still dryer..
                        Hope for lots of snow...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                          It is not even the weather and grain farming for me. It is simply I have fallen out of love. And those hay conditions are generally what we are always up against here in the rain zone, nothing new to me there. I can buy the hay equipment I need for under 40 000. Maybe even 30 000.

Trade in one tractor and get a discbine, baler, and rake.

I have no illusions in my decision, believe me. It is not about easy street, it is about regaining control. After raising sheep and having regained near complete control of my destiny, it simply confirms that grain farming is not for me anymore. Biggest bill for sheep is a pallet of lamb creep for under 1000 bucks. Mineral and such is couple hundred a month. Fencing is the biggest investment, but even then it makes grain farming costs look like sin.

Sounds healthy in the sheep business as it was announced that scrapies has quarantined 2 herds.....

Gotta love farming....everyone gets shit on....

8.3 million for the cattle guys to find new markets...the guys that are to be doing that everyday with our checkoff money get rewarded....while cow calf guys get SFA...

Comment

Just come here if you need rain. Flood damage around here. Reality is that the cost side of farming was hugely distorted during the cheap debt era boom. Now the grind were that has to be worked out of the system. Lots of old guys in this area will be wishing they sold land a few years ago. Know of one old guy who is paying rent on a quarter while his renter farms all the guys land including ther old feller's rented land for free. Rents it but doesn't pay.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Sounds healthy in the sheep business as it was announced that scrapies has quarantined 2 herds.....

Gotta love farming....everyone gets shit on....

8.3 million for the cattle guys to find new markets...the guys that are to be doing that everyday with our checkoff money get rewarded....while cow calf guys get SFA...
                              Direct marketing is insulating us from that. Selling commodities sucks for sure.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.