• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irrigation Headlines....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irrigation Headlines....

Seeing how these things are an economic benefit.....how does that work????When the government is funding them...

Province provides Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District with over $1 million for upkeep

Adding to the many different irrigation projects to be started shortly, the Canadian and Albertan governments gifted nearly $40 million for three new irrigation-based projects are on the way for Taber and one for the Raymond area.

$2.5 million for the installation of travelling screens to capture and remove aquatic weeds from the M1 Canal;

When it comes to irrigation, there’s huge economic potential. I know there’s been lots of studies that have indicated that every dollar you invest in irrigation will produce about three dollars in economic return

The last one may be true but if the government has to keep injecting cash it seems like it is not able to any economic benefit like they speak of....in my simple mind when people say economic benefit it means keeping their hands out of the taxpayer's pockets.
    Last edited by bucket; Aug 9, 2020, 11:04.

And why does no one ever do the math on the benefits of dryland farming?

Comment

$4 billion for irrigation from the Sask Party gov to help, what?, 500 farmers? Fair?

Wheat varietal research has an ROI of 20:1, barley has one of 8:1. Would that money not be better spent on research facilities to help ALL farmers?

Comment

Originally posted by CptnObvious View Post
        $4 billion for irrigation from the Sask Party gov to help, what?, 500 farmers? Fair?

Wheat varietal research has an ROI of 20:1, barley has one of 8:1. Would that money not be better spent on research facilities to help ALL farmers?

Can someone explain the ROI on research that continues to have to be government supported....typically with that type of return it should be self sustaining...

Wheat prices are the same as in the 70s and the only thing that has gone up 20 to 1 is the cost of farming....not the returns.

When does the research ROI come to farmers? Because even though I am growing newer varieties it doesn't seem there is higher net returns for my farm.

And I will repeat......there is no return to taxpayers on an irrigation project they are proposing....none ...the existing 3 are still on the government tit.

Comment

The ROI numbers are from work done by Dr. Richard Gray. I don't see it either but his work is well supported and accepted by agricultural academia.

Also: I have heard of a UofS agricultural thesis( 1970s?) that proves no major irrigation project has ever paid for itself.

Comment

The ROI numbers are from work done by Dr. Richard Gray. I don't see it either but his work is well supported and accepted by agricultural academia.

Also: I have heard of a UofS agricultural thesis( 1970s?) that proves no major irrigation project has ever paid for itself.
            I don't know but one agricultural academia that has skin in the game....that actually still farms...

The rest are taking care of their own interests which include an indexed pension plan...
            Last edited by bucket; Aug 11, 2020, 09:10.

Comment

Remember Richard Gray on CWB file? Who in this world bites the hand that feeds them? Public scrutiny of his work would test the pudding.
              Last edited by sumdumguy; Aug 11, 2020, 09:15.

Comment

Public scrutiny of advanced economics? Dunning and Kruger would have something to say about that.

You are correct about biting the hand....he who pays the piper and all that...but that makes the pros either do the work or not touch it at all, not do it incorrectly. There are some that have been bought/drunk the Kool-Aid as in the Fraser Institute, but those in public institutions must stand to peer review and Richard Gray has. He farms too.

Comment

That said, what are the opinions of the Sask irrig. announcement?

Comment

Public scrutiny of advanced economics? Dunning and Kruger would have something to say about that.

You are correct about biting the hand....he who pays the piper and all that...but that makes the pros either do the work or not touch it at all, not do it incorrectly. There are some that have been bought/drunk the Kool-Aid as in the Fraser Institute, but those in public institutions must stand to peer review and Richard Gray has. He farms too.

This is the way they divide farmers for decades....hire academia to say opposite views. And then say there is no consensus amongst farmers...

Academia gets paid.....farmers get phucked....

Comment

Yup, that's why Quebec farmers laugh at us. They have one voice, the union, because everyone must join. Politicians know what farmers think and can work with them. Out west we have a different group( many with their own 'experts') for every side in every issue and politicians just pick the one that's convenient.

Comment

Yup, that's why Quebec farmers laugh at us. They have one voice, the union, because everyone must join. Politicians know what farmers think and can work with them. Out west we have a different group( many with their own 'experts') for every side in every issue and politicians just pick the one that's convenient.
                        They can have their union
                        Leave me out , I will take the alternative

Comment

I would be OK with irrigation if it wasn't so lopsided with the funding...

Private guys have spent their own money developing irrigation and see zero help from the government...

How is that?

And if the wannabe guys would put their own money in ....that would be a little more palatable....

Still ....there will not be any industries associated with irrigation here without corporate welfare....

Comment

https://www.upa.qc.ca/en/frequently-asked-questions/

Farmers are under no legal obligation join the UPA. Membership has always been voluntary. Also, the claim that there is a “farm union monopoly” in Quebec is false. Rather, the Farm Producers Act stipulates that only one union organization is accredited to represent Quebec farmers and collect mandatory dues.

To obtain this status, an association must demonstrate to the Régie des marchés agricoles et alimentaires du Québec (RMAAQ) that it is representative of all producers and that it fulfils the duties incumbent upon it. Beginning in 1972, and every year thereafter, only the UPA has been able to demonstrate this. Another organization could become the certified association if it demonstrated this representativeness.

It is worth noting that the UPA is legally required to represent all Quebec farmers—members and non-members—regardless of the size of their business, their type of production, or their region. A number of producers’ groups (12 regional federations and 26 production types) are affiliated with the UPA, and over 90% of Quebec farmers are members.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

More bull shit from the left wing whacks....

Comment

All I know is the current clusterphuck of current farm groups in western Canada ain't doing any good for farmers...

And the WP is highlighting those retiring from their incompetence that have led us here ...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.