• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This really surprised me

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This really surprised me

I just read an article in the Huffington Post that surprised me. 76% of all new jobs created in Canada in 2019 were created in one province, Ontario. A distant second was Quebec. I think we all have our partisan tendencies and I tend to lean right of center but I have never been a Doug Ford fan. In fact looking at recent opinion polls Doug Ford is the second most unpopular Premier in Canada. So quite a disconnect between popularity and results in this case. Any opinions as to why Ontario is doing so well?

It was the reverse when oil prices were high during the commodity boom. Jobs were being created in the west and shed in Ontario. The high dollar hurt manufacturers in Ontario.

Premiers like to take responsibility for good times but how much control do they have over commodity prices or the value of the CAD? Almost zero!

Comment

A major driver of economic growth in eastern canuckistan is federal government spending. The lieberals turned up the tap 4 years ago and this is one of the results. Refugee shelters have grown exponentially. Ford has contributed as well by reducing electricity costs and some of the bureaucratic craziness that went on there under the lieberals so that no doubt that is a positive contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        I just read an article in the Huffington Post that surprised me. 76% of all new jobs created in Canada in 2019 were created in one province, Ontario. A distant second was Quebec. I think we all have our partisan tendencies and I tend to lean right of center but I have never been a Doug Ford fan. In fact looking at recent opinion polls Doug Ford is the second most unpopular Premier in Canada. So quite a disconnect between popularity and results in this case. Any opinions as to why Ontario is doing so well?
        The housing bubble has moved from BC to Ontario. Even here in a city of 40,000 2 hours from Toronto there are at least 1000 houses to be constructed this summer and they’d probably build twice that many if they could find the skilled trades. Realtors I talk to say at least 40% will stay empty as Chinese investment properties

Comment

Hopefully they are putting the houses on useless Canadian shield wasteland and not on prime Southern Ontario farmland. The worst problem with Chinese investment is that all Chinese with money to do this are Chicoms, trying to hide money from the government they are invested in.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            Hopefully they are putting the houses on useless Canadian shield wasteland and not on prime Southern Ontario farmland.

I think we both know the answer to that is no.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...