• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nick off time phew

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick off time phew

This guy had about 10 minutes up his sleeve apparently unexpected wind change was fighting fire else were

Click image for larger version

Name:	A9FA01B6-59D5-4866-990A-F8E53E684224.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	779277

Click image for larger version

Name:	C5A2A452-2B02-4411-8ECD-9BD0E3F1EDDB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	779276

Wow that got serious fast.

Comment

I will take getting chased off the field by early snow storms any day over trying to get the crop ahead of a fire.

Sounds and looks horrible and frightening. Hopefully weather cooperates and they can get a handle on the fires.

I get the impression you are not too close to the fires but how far away are you talking and what is the potential in your area?

Comment

One thing I've been wondering Mallee...

Do farmers down under do much in the way of conventional tillage anymore?

We have had some bad grass fires around here the last couple years, but with no conventional tillage being done anymore there are no artificial fire breaks. It's not that conditions are any more conducive to fires necessarily, but we aren't indirectly trying to mitigate the risk anymore either.

If a combine lights up at harvest, or a controlled burn gets whipped up by the wind, or a power pole snaps and shorts out, it'll burn hard till it hits a river now if the wind is howling. In the past it used to burn to a summerfallow field and power out before it became an inferno...

Comment

Where would one have to take the machinery to save it? Can a combine outrun a fire, and is there anywhere safe from a fire of that intensity in those conditions?

Comment

Helmsdale tillage is a dirty word pardon the pun.

But making a bit of a comeback but only a little

Ab5 not sure there all safe must have put 5hem on burnt ground I guess of bare areas somewere

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
              Helmsdale tillage is a dirty word pardon the pun.

But making a bit of a comeback but only a little

Ab5 not sure there all safe must have put 5hem on burnt ground I guess of bare areas somewere
              Are these the ones they showed loading on a ferry off the island?

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                Are these the ones they showed loading on a ferry off the island?
                Could Well be will do a searchorse

And nah no rain but areas that need it for fires might just score 20 to 30m godsend

Another fire going in WA Esperance area

Comment

Tabloid Info : Apparently Aboriginals historically, when the weather was right, burnt fuel-control black strips. According to CNN, this practice has not been carried on by white man, consequently fires can burn millions of acres when conditions present.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                    Could Well be will do a searchorse

And nah no rain but areas that need it for fires might just score 20 to 30m godsend

Another fire going in WA Esperance area
                    Esparance is an area of really tall dense forest is it not? If it gets in there it will be unstoppable. We drove through the area when I was down in 1983.

Sorry. I check a map it was the drive from Banbury to Albany that I was thinking about. The we drove through esperance.
                    Last edited by LEP; Jan 13, 2020, 09:04.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                      Tabloid Info : Apparently Aboriginals historically, when the weather was right, burnt fuel-control black strips. According to CNN, this practice has not been carried on by white man, consequently fires can burn millions of acres when conditions present.
                      You and your mythical legends. Fire is caused by man made climate change, don't you know? The only way to control it is to tax it. If you eat 6 cans of beans and light one off, you have to pay a $4 tax. It will save the Koala bears.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...