• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too wet to seed 2020

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by highwayman View Post
    Thursday may 12th 1983, 16 inches of snow with 25% seeded. Next day,Friday 13th ,met my soul mate. Married 33 years this October. Luv life😃!!
    Imagine if it wouldn't have snowed. You may have been a bachelor today! Good or bad depending who you talk to.

Comment

Originally posted by highwayman View Post
      Thursday may 12th 1983, 16 inches of snow with 25% seeded. Next day,Friday 13th ,met my soul mate. Married 33 years this October. Luv life😃!!
      Well if yours is any guidance, I should be fine with a "Friday the 13th" meeting of my soul mate. Friday, March 13, 2009.

Comment

I feel for you guys that are too wet. It makes for a stressful seeding.

We are on the dryer side. More concerned about no subsoil moisture and spring frost.

One thing about ag, year to year you never know what your going to face.

Comment

No seeding anytime soon. Or combining for that matter!
          Last edited by flea beetle; Apr 4, 2020, 12:24.

Comment

Snow pretty well gone a week ago then a couple of inches, helps protect winter wheat this week.
            Present cold taking days away from what could have been early spring.
            Last fall rains made ground wet, could delay spring harvest and seeding for unharvested acres.
            Early spring with good moisture reserve best conditions for good crops, would be disappointing to see things turn around.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
              Snow pretty well gone a week ago then a couple of inches, helps protect winter wheat this week.
              Present cold taking days away from what could have been early spring.
              Last fall rains made ground wet, could delay spring harvest and seeding for unharvested acres.
              Early spring with good moisture reserve best conditions for good crops, would be disappointing to see things turn around.
              How much winter wheat did you get in ?
              We grew winter wheat for about 4 yrs . Would love to get back into it but ran out of manpower in the fall for a few years to do the extra work .

Comment

No worries just get bigger loans

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  Does anyone, of ‘old people are smarter’ (lol) age remember the end of April storm that buried us in 1966 or 67? We were at a broomball tournament at Odessa and our trusty Rambler Ambassador ploughed us home. It took Sask Power a week to run temporary cable above ground along 33 highway. SO April can be a buggar.
                  I remember that storm and I am sure that it was 1967. The snow banks were as high as the cattle shelter. I was happy about no school but dad not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    How much winter wheat did you get in ?
                    We grew winter wheat for about 4 yrs . Would love to get back into it but ran out of manpower in the fall for a few years to do the extra work .
                    About 800 acres, only half of what we had in better years. Most of it is on oat or barley stubble, did not get canola off in time except one field.

Comment

My dad and grandpa used to talk about a winter in the fifties that they could walk over the telephone wires in places. 1973 rings a bell for me, bought our first snowmobile and remember there being a lot of snow that year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                        My dad and grandpa used to talk about a winter in the fifties that they could walk over the telephone wires in places. 1973 rings a bell for me, bought our first snowmobile and remember there being a lot of snow that year.
                        Yes , we got a john deere JDX 6 that year and rode in late august on an early storm
                        One of the few john deeres we have had
                        Was a horrible piece of equipment

Comment

Beginning of march 1974 we had fluffy snow fall that was well above my knees. Then the wind started to blow. Community plow had to go ahead of the bus on monday to get us to school. Stayed in town till friday and then plowed us home for the weekend. Repeat for the next week and then it warmed up and crusted the snow. Had a twelve to fifteen foot high caragana laneway on the west side of the farm yard that was right full. When the community plow came to open it up the operator would take a run at it and then back up. When he backed up we broke the overhang for him until we were done. Took quite awhile to clear that 150’ laneway. Only winter I remember being able to skidoo over those same caraganas. That was the most snow I have seen in one dump. I believe we were still able to be seeding by may 10.

Comment

Yes I remember a winter like that. Department of highways brought in a snowblower from the mountains and blew open a single lane initially in the bad spots and worked over a few days to widen the openings.

Snow was higher than the school bus when we drove through. Like everyone else I don't remember it being a late spring. But there were lots of sloughs and it was a good crop that year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...