• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killing frost last night.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of canola standing in our area to be straight cut this year. None of it combined yet because of the many pockets and edges, be it drowned out or headlands that are still greenish(just ready for the swather, but weeks away from straight cutting.

It will be a tough job cutting around all those spots this year, and if you don't, expect to have all your canola down graded do to green count.

Will this frost affect pod shatter strength?

Comment

Frost in the Vegreville area but nothing further west. Official -1 but that means -3 in low lying areas. A few fields will be hurt but most crops that matter are past the frost risk stage. Feed barley and feed wheat, which is all non high protein hrs, will still be feed.

Comment

yield booster

Comment

Oh ya, all soybeans in the area still have green pods, and most all of their leaves, although turning colour?
          I have no experience with soybeans and frost, what can I expect?

Besides small or shriveled seeds, will there be discoloured seeds?

Comment

Pod shatter varieties will be effected some , but be more concerned about pod drop now if it was on the green side last night . I have seen pod drop be far worse than pod shatter after a long frost like that

Comment

Furrow

Now do I worry about the soybeans. ?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Furrow

Now do I worry about the soybeans. ?
                There will be lost yield if you did not have leaf drop already . Ours will be hit . Most likely lose the top 30% of the pods . There will also be some seed damaged like green in canola . They have to look pretty bad to lose grade from a 1 to a 2 .
                But we have not seen a long frost in the past 4 years we have been growing them so not sure what to expect. The early 000 beans we have wil be fine . They are mostly defoliate already and mostly mature .

Comment

Soybean growers can expect small green seed, we stopped growing them after having them freeze quite a few years back. It was -4 at 2:30am south of Wadena. We have some late canola seeded June 10 still grass green, it will be toast. Canola crushers will be adjusting basis today hoping to suck in a few more cheap buys before the $hit hits the fan.

Comment

Any forecast indicating this frost will move into the Midwest for tonight? Their crops are late, but great, any chance of damage there?

Comment

Bunge rep says 90 percent canola in the swath..no big deal..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                        Bunge rep says 90 percent canola in the swath..no big deal..
                        Sure not the case north or west of here

Comment

Minustemps for several hours here. Odd late canola will suffer, maybe ten per cent of acreage? Most is going to be ok. Earliest hard frost in many years here. Far more usual than the last 14 years. We are in a first week to the tenth of September historic frost area. Good thing it was drier and warm, so that crops were ahead. Otherwise this one woulda been a disaster for this area.

Fireplace going hard this morning! Best wishes to those who are affected badly. Personally, I think I am ok, time will tell. Might have some discoloured flax, and a field of lighter oats.

Comment

Phone is lighting up with 'Canola Specials' alerts. Wont help the neighbours entire canola crop its a write off. I knocked ours down Saturday because of the forecast. Should be ok in the swath I hope. Was -3 for many hours. On Saturday Enviro Canada predicted 0, Weather Network +2, and accuweather -2. Accuweather for the win.

Comment

Yea the crushers and grain companies have it figured out today there will be reports very little damage at all have a great day.

Basis pus 2.00z

It’s a scam in a country with no real reporting mechanism except every thug is great mentality.

Frost on windows.

We grew soy and you win one usually first so then you add extra acres and get wiped next then try a few do ok then a few more ok then lots and get wiped again finally after a long trial and love growing them they look so awsome you give up.

Comment

Thank bungie rep is reason farmers get F$&ked.

Idiots like that that know jack shit.

But they know one thing screwing farmers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.