• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch precision edge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think resale is poor just because it isn’t a BG or other top 3 drill brands. I think you either buy for value on your dollar or pay more and buy for future resale.
    I use the atom jet side band and am satisfied, no rock damage and I have plenty.

Comment

https://www.agriville.com/threads/35802-Any-advice-on-air-drill-openers

Comment

You had me interested in the precision edge. I use the precision double shoot paired row, and it causes a lot of disturbance, really affecting the integrity of the supposed seed shelf.
        But I see the edge is only available for liquid or NH3. I use all granular. So this isn't an option.

Are there options out there that would achieve the same placement as what I have, without tearing the seed bed apart so much?

This is in grey wooded clay, which back when we did tillage made lumps the size of basketballs, which aren't idea for seeding canola.

The other issue is that I almost always seed into mud, and it sticks to the openers making them cut an even bigger channel. Has anyone used the dutch openers designed for mud?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          You had me interested in the precision edge. I use the precision double shoot paired row, and it causes a lot of disturbance, really affecting the integrity of the supposed seed shelf.
          But I see the edge is only available for liquid or NH3. I use all granular. So this isn't an option.

Are there options out there that would achieve the same placement as what I have, without tearing the seed bed apart so much?

This is in grey wooded clay, which back when we did tillage made lumps the size of basketballs, which aren't idea for seeding canola.

The other issue is that I almost always seed into mud, and it sticks to the openers making them cut an even bigger channel. Has anyone used the dutch openers designed for mud?
          I think they make a dry fert version as well. Instead of the liquid tube in front of the shank, they put a dry fert tube behind the seed tube. I run all dry as well.
          Last edited by flea beetle; Oct 24, 2021, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            We were using a Dutch 3.5 inch spread tip putting all our fertility down with the seed using ESN.

It takes big HP to pull that when seeding 2 inch deep in wet gumbo.

But it had a draw back. When wet pulls up lumps, when dry pulled up lumps too and made for a very uneven seed bed and uneven emergence.

I dont have the budget to replace drill and tractor so we went back to broadcasting and seeding with 3/4 inch bourgalt knives. Much less disturbance.
            If you seeded 2” deep in wet gumbo here you’d be reseeding
            I really like atom jet
            Side band , same plane .have put 350 lbs product with seed never a problem
            Very low disturbance
            Simple and good for 25000 ac minimum in this dirt

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              If you seeded 2” deep in wet gumbo here you’d be reseeding
              I really like atom jet
              Side band , same plane .have put 350 lbs product with seed never a problem
              Very low disturbance
              Simple and good for 25000 ac minimum in this dirt
              Is that the regular side band, or the high rate side band you are talking?

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                I think they make a dry fert version as well. Instead of the liquid tube in front of the shank, they put a dry fert tube behind the seed tube. I run all dry as well.
                In that arrangement, what depth is the fertilizer supposed to end up at?

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                  Jazz - are you incorporating your broadcast or just following with the drill?
                  No incorporation, just run over with the drill.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    In that arrangement, what depth is the fertilizer supposed to end up at?
                    Your guess is as good as mine. Not much info out there about them. Granular was a bit of an afterthought it seems.

Download the 2022 catalogue on Dutch’s website and go to page 40-41 to see what it looks like.

If they could make their spur series in a granular, I would look at that one as well, but alas…the search continues!
                    Last edited by flea beetle; Oct 24, 2021, 18:45.

Comment

Is that the regular side band, or the high rate side band you are talking?
                      just regular , one side only
                      these have been on since 07

Comment

just regular , one side only
                        these have been on since 07
                        That is pretty impressive to get 350 lbs safely with that opener!

Comment

atom jet has a policy where you can use them for a year
                          if you don't like them they take them back
                          i asked him if he had any discounted ones that were used a year but he said no one ever brings them back

Comment

atom jet has a policy where you can use them for a year
                            if you don't like them they take them back
                            i asked him if he had any discounted ones that were used a year but he said no one ever brings them back
                            Well that says something for sure. Do you guys think there is a difference in seed placement between atom jets side band openers and paired row? I assume side band would have less variance in depth seeding shallow like for canola?

Comment

That is pretty impressive to get 350 lbs safely with that opener!
                              we are normally wetter , was wondering this year being so dry , but no problems
                              dont do 350 a lot but 250-275 all the time
                              heres a barley blend , 90-35-15-0, 272 lbs product
                              i think we have gone to 50-35-0-20 with canola , maybe 225 lbs act
                              but for speed and easy we try to put 85 lbs juice in the fall, float 150 lbs fines in the fall and put 25-35-0-0 right beside seed with canola all the time

Comment

Well that says something for sure. Do you guys think there is a difference in seed placement between atom jets side band openers and paired row? I assume side band would have less variance in depth seeding shallow like for canola?
                                our morris tank you can do either by flipping a lever
                                centre through the point is way better for us with a pointed packer, and a tenth really wets bottom of run where seed is
                                flat packers might be different , friend has a flexi with paired row openers like us and rubber packers, he seeds paired all the time

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.