• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch precision edge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch precision edge

New drill prices have me throwing up in my mouth a bit. Decided to put money into my current drill and run it for a few more years. Currently run a flexicoil 5000 type drill with Dutch low draft openers.

Was snooping around last year and looked hard at the atom jet high rate side band, but wanting to continue paired row if I can help it. Or is the high rate side band THE way to go?

Anybody using the Dutch precision edge? Looks interesting.

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
    Looks interesting.
    Looks sort of like a boat anchor.

We went totally backwards these past few yrs. With the dry springs we have gone back to narrow tips on the drill. Our N and S is now coated and going down broadcast ahead of the drill. Trickle in some phos and ESN with the seed. Easily cuts down a few days at seeding, way less HP and fuel. Seed durum and lentils at 5.5 mph now.

Comment

If I remember Dutch precision edge reminds me of a stealth opener. I remember going from stealth to Dutch low draft and remembering 2 things that they pulled easier and pulled up less rocks. Was never happy with canola germ on Dutch low draft. In 2014 when I bought my present Flexicoil 5000 I had atomjet 3/4 inch side band openers put on it. I thought it hurt my cereal yields and put fertilizer to close to the seed on canola. Then I went to 1 inch atomjet high rate side band. With cereals tried putting seed out the side and out the back. Works way better out the back, only downside is fert does plug once and a while going out the side. With canola put seed out the side, fert out the back works awesome. This year did an interesting trial. Neighbour had some Sirish seed left in his drill. Seeded 11 acres, he uses Dutch low draft. I seeded Austenson beside it. Our fert was close to the same. We did 3 replications down and back with the combine, each was approx. 2 acres. Weighed in our cart. Austenson out yielded it by 3 bushels per acre. The point is in my opinion the atomjet didn’t hurt the yield, have to admit I was surprised. Both varieties were certified, seeded at 3 bushels per acre. I use seed treat, he does not. We use 41/4 inch rubber capped packers and I don’t have the harrow closers on the drill, always seemed to plug with trash. The one inch stealth high rate side band do pull harder than the standard side band but in my opinion pull less rocks than either stealth or Dutch low draft..

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Looks sort of like a boat anchor.

We went totally backwards these past few yrs. With the dry springs we have gone back to narrow tips on the drill. Our N and S is now coated and going down broadcast ahead of the drill. Trickle in some phos and ESN with the seed. Easily cuts down a few days at seeding, way less HP and fuel. Seed durum and lentils at 5.5 mph now.
        It is a lower disturbance version of the regular Dutch precision is it not? Very narrow fert trench with a sealer plate that tucks the seed into either side of the trench? I understand it will move more dirt than a 1 inch single shoot opener, but I think it will be way less than a flexicoil stealth. The Dutch precision was a fairly good opener in my understanding. This seems to improve on that design in my mind. Although, we desire different qualities in the north I suppose than around Regina. Making a distinct black furrow to warm the soil up is high on our priority list.

What is your opener of choice jazz?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
          If I remember Dutch precision edge reminds me of a stealth opener. I remember going from stealth to Dutch low draft and remembering 2 things that they pulled easier and pulled up less rocks. Was never happy with canola germ on Dutch low draft. In 2014 when I bought my present Flexicoil 5000 I had atomjet 3/4 inch side band openers put on it. I thought it hurt my cereal yields and put fertilizer to close to the seed on canola. Then I went to 1 inch atomjet high rate side band. With cereals tried putting seed out the side and out the back. Works way better out the back, only downside is fert does plug once and a while going out the side. With canola put seed out the side, fert out the back works awesome. This year did an interesting trial. Neighbour had some Sirish seed left in his drill. Seeded 11 acres, he uses Dutch low draft. I seeded Austenson beside it. Our fert was close to the same. We did 3 replications down and back with the combine, each was approx. 2 acres. Weighed in our cart. Austenson out yielded it by 3 bushels per acre. The point is in my opinion the atomjet didn’t hurt the yield, have to admit I was surprised. Both varieties were certified, seeded at 3 bushels per acre. I use seed treat, he does not. We use 41/4 inch rubber capped packers and I don’t have the harrow closers on the drill, always seemed to plug with trash. The one inch stealth high rate side band do pull harder than the standard side band but in my opinion pull less rocks than either stealth or Dutch low draft..
          Yes. Dutch low draft work well in cereals, but fall behind on canola in my opinion as well. That is the reason for looking at switching.

I do not like shattering the seed bed below the seed like the precision/stealth do. Do the atom jet hold up well in rocks? Seems we have our fair share up here. How wide of a seed row do you achieve by putting the cereals out the back? Would it hold a swath up on 10” spacing?
          Last edited by flea beetle; Oct 24, 2021, 19:15.

Comment

Yes. Dutch low draft work well in cereals, but fall behind on canola in my opinion as well. That is the reason for looking at switching.

I do like not shattering the seed bed below the seed like the precision/stealth do. Do the atom jet hold up well in rocks? Seems we have our fair share up here. How wide of a seed row do you achieve by putting the cereals out the back? Would it hold a swath up on 10” spacing?
            I have only knocked off a couple of carbides in 6000 acres. The stubble would be roughly 21/2 to 3 inches wide going out the back and 11/2 to 2 inches wide going out the side imo. In a year with good yields no problem. I roll all my cereals so if I am concerned when swathing I cut at 90 degrees to the way it was seeded if possible. You can get them with a 3/4 inch Center or 1 inch Center I believe. If I ordered them again I would be tempted to try the 3/4 inch but that might be counter productive as it would narrow the seed row.

Comment

I do like not shattering the seed bed below the seed like the precision/stealth do. Do the atom jet hold up well in rocks? Seems we have our fair share up here. How wide of a seed row do you achieve by putting the cereals out the back? Would it hold a swath up on 10” spacing?
              The Dutch opener would have better seed and Fert separation but the fracturing of the soil might hurt canola germination, not sure. I certainly think the Dutch precision opener is interesting, tough call.

Comment

The Dutch opener would have better seed and Fert separation but the fracturing of the soil might hurt canola germination, not sure. I certainly think the Dutch precision opener is interesting, tough call.
                Yes. It seems to me there is a poster on here that had the precision edge when they first came out, but I cannot find the thread now. My concern is tearing the seedbed out with that knife down the middle…especially when it gets dry. Otherwise looks pretty good.

I really like your idea with the atom jet of switching the cereals out the back to achieve a wider row. Makes the decision very hard now!🤣

Comment

What is your opener of choice jazz?
                  We were using a Dutch 3.5 inch spread tip putting all our fertility down with the seed using ESN.

It takes big HP to pull that when seeding 2 inch deep in wet gumbo.

But it had a draw back. When wet pulls up lumps, when dry pulled up lumps too and made for a very uneven seed bed and uneven emergence.

I dont have the budget to replace drill and tractor so we went back to broadcasting and seeding with 3/4 inch bourgalt knives. Much less disturbance.

Comment

Yes. It seems to me there is a poster on here that had the precision edge when they first came out, but I cannot find the thread now. My concern is tearing the seedbed out with that knife down the middle…especially when it gets dry. Otherwise looks pretty good.

I really like your idea with the atom jet of switching the cereals out the back to achieve a wider row. Makes the decision very hard now!🤣
                    Sorry, didn’t mean to complicate your decision, it is a topic I have thought a lot about.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      We were using a Dutch 3.5 inch spread tip putting all our fertility down with the seed using ESN.

It takes big HP to pull that when seeding 2 inch deep in wet gumbo.

But it had a draw back. When wet pulls up lumps, when dry pulled up lumps too and made for a very uneven seed bed and uneven emergence.

I dont have the budget to replace drill and tractor so we went back to broadcasting and seeding with 3/4 inch bourgalt knives. Much less disturbance.
                      I totally understand your desire to want narrow openers in gumbo, and being a fair bit south of us. Sounds like you have it figured for your region!

Comment

All different situations of course.
                        The excellent value in select used drills sometimes leads to a compromise.
                        Current NH 2060 has 4" rubber packers.
                        Came with worn Dutch low draft closed bottoms. Did not like in 2020.
                        Replaced with 4" AJ paired row liquid.
                        Liquid stays neatly in that 1/16" groove. Seed stays in rows against trench wall. Openers stay in ground. Bounce off rocks very well. Less speed sensitive. Better canola placement definitely although I do have trouble regulating my air somewhat, giving a little spread and bounce away from trench wall. Less dirt throw by far. Decreased trash flow ability though. For me a lot better than low drafts. Less draft than any stealth style by far I'm led to believe although haven't personally used.
                        Definitely keeping them.

Comment

Jazz - are you incorporating your broadcast or just following with the drill?

Comment

Sorry, didn’t mean to complicate your decision, it is a topic I have thought a lot about.
                            Don't be sorry at all. I have been flopping back and forth between the two for a year now. Seems there aren't a lot of opinions on the precision edge though. Must not be many guys running them yet?

Lots of 1870 deere drills here. But wanting to stay 10" or narrower for cereals. One drill that caught my eye is the Case 900/New Holland 2075 with CNH's side band opener on 10" spacing? But for some reason resale on them seems very poor. Is there something I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              All different situations of course.
                              The excellent value in select used drills sometimes leads to a compromise.
                              Current NH 2060 has 4" rubber packers.
                              Came with worn Dutch low draft closed bottoms. Did not like in 2020.
                              Replaced with 4" AJ paired row liquid.
                              Liquid stays neatly in that 1/16" groove. Seed stays in rows against trench wall. Openers stay in ground. Bounce off rocks very well. Less speed sensitive. Better canola placement definitely although I do have trouble regulating my air somewhat, giving a little spread and bounce away from trench wall. Less dirt throw by far. Decreased trash flow ability though. For me a lot better than low drafts. Less draft than any stealth style by far I'm led to believe although haven't personally used.
                              Definitely keeping them.
                              So even though the AJ paired row looks very similar to dutch, they are considerably better on seed placement?

Does the 2060 follow the ground better than a 2050? Each section is independent of each other?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.