• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auger motor engine heaters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have had a lot of trouble starting kohler motors at -20 and colder
    Put one of those stick on rubber heat pads from canadian tire and works great
    Yesterday minus 32 with it plugged in and a couple coats overtop started like summer

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    Yesterday minus 32 with it plugged in and a couple coats overtop started like summer
    Hand Priming pump helps to. The brant conveyor that showed up in the spring has one.

Comment

Are you talking about the Koehler with the high set carb with the intake exposed? They are a cold blooded beast. I have a couple with the low set carb and cold kit. They’re decent starters but if you could warm them up it would be easier. Dad used to use a stove pipe and tiger torch but those engines didn’t have all the plastic

Comment

What are you doing hauling grain at those temps?
        There must be something else you can do in the house? LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
          What are you doing hauling grain at those temps?
          There must be something else you can do in the house? LOL...
          thats the problem , too many jobs in the house

Comment

thats the problem , too many jobs in the house
            Okay so I can start my motor but can’t move my self-propelled auger. Even detached the hydraulic motors that drive the wheels and tried to warm up the system by circulating oil but it was complaining so much I quit. Too cold nothing works right I guess!?

Comment

That's the problem with every thing plastic, oil tanks, engine shrouds, tiger torches are forbidden.

Comment

Originally posted by Livewire View Post
                Okay so I can start my motor but can’t move my self-propelled auger. Even detached the hydraulic motors that drive the wheels and tried to warm up the system by circulating oil but it was complaining so much I quit. Too cold nothing works right I guess!?
                What kind of oil in the hydraulic system. Bought a auger in 13 or so and that one moved way better then the 08 model. Asked the dealer said different oil in the 13, but sold us some additive and and added that and it is way better.

Comment

Usually carry around those little propane bottles with torch end and direct the propane into the intake really helps for starting in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by brs View Post
                    Usually carry around those little propane bottles with torch end and direct the propane into the intake really helps for starting in the winter.
                    I heard of using a tiger torch over the intake to run the auger. Propane injection.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                      I heard of using a tiger torch over the intake to run the auger. Propane injection.
                      Don't light it just use it as a starting aid. And keep running aid till running good.

Comment

I use a small heater or interior car warmer for 1 -2 hours with a couple of old parkas to cover the engine. Works well.

Comment

Take an old electric frying pan, cut legs and 3 sides off. Slide it under engine, plug in at min temp for half hour or so Works great

Comment

Originally posted by Livewire View Post
                            it must have too heavy of oil in it , back in the patch days , we used to add kerosene to hydraulic oil after -30, i would drain it and add really light hyd. oil
                            this one moves fine after disengaging wheels and circulating oil
                            i presume you are covering air intake as well?, we just have a 12" circle of tarp hanging on a zip tie and throw it over after engine is running

Comment

Yes I think I’ll have to change to lighter hydraulic oil. I also use an interior car warmer and cover the motor with blankets. Works great

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.