• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$60 Crude = 80 cent Loonie

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$60 Crude = 80 cent Loonie

WTI crude oil is now surging above $60 per barrel pulling the loonie to 80 cents and possibly higher (IMO).

Recent stiff fallout in the U.S. dollar (USD) is contributing to Cdn dollar strength as well. This may be a rough year for the American greenback as the U.S. budgetary crisis broils and the Fed may be hard pressed to make their promised 4 rate hikes in 2018 while unwinding their massive $4.5 trillion balance sheet. Talking-the-talk is a lot easier than walking-the-walk . . . . Neither will happen in 2018 in my view.

There also appears to be a genuine threat of an incoming U.S. recession which could trigger more desperation of renewed money printing stateside (QE4). Shrinking bond yield spreads now telling a story.

Power of global central banks are definitely fading, gradually losing their manipulative market influence.

Welcome to 2018 . . . .

Riots in Iran pushing up crude oil price?

Comment

What is the discounted price of crude feeding the western Canadian refineries?

Pretty important point....

Comment

Remember when crude was about $145 a barrel and gas prices were about $1.24/liter

Now gas prices are a bit over a buck and crude 60....

That important detail? If that argument is even relevant.....I'm sure there's a legitimate explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
          Riots in Iran pushing up crude oil price?
          Believe Libya pipeline explosion shutting day 70,000 to 100,000 barrels per day contributing to oil price strength.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            Remember when crude was about $145 a barrel and gas prices were about $1.24/liter

Now gas prices are a bit over a buck and crude 60....

That important detail? If that argument is even relevant.....I'm sure there's a legitimate explanation.
            Cad was 1.10 early 2008

Comment

Crude is peaking here. Cold snap is over, keystone is back in action which will narrow spread between Alberta sludge and west Texas, US pumping oil with all its might so oil will be back under $50 by late Feb. Good place to short loon here as $USD rises from here. I doubt there will be 4 raises in US interest rates in 18 as well, one or two more likely. I just hope that there will be at least one rate rise in Canuckistan this year. If there are farms with $126 million dollar mortgages here, we need rising rates badly.

Comment

ajl, I agree. CAD will have a tough time getting over 80 and could easily lose a penny in here. Oil might have another 3-5% in it but is ripe for a pullback

Wheat is interesting. A combination of a lower USD and cold weather created enough energy for a small gap up in Chicago and KC. MW didn't put in a showing. I would keep my eye on Kansas wheat for a while.
                Drought conditions ongoing in some areas.

Gold doing well too. Should match the sept 17 high with a shot at the summer 2016 high

Comment

Will eventually be traded with bitcoin so possible it won't matter what any individual country economy is doing. The value will be set world wide? That is unless the people with the money change the rules.

Comment

It pays to elect idiots so that the dollar doesn't increase. We know what we re doing!! HahahHa

Comment

Errol,
                      Do you sell gold futures? NO offense, but the only other person I hear talk the way you do, sell gold and precious metals on the radio on Sunday morning

Comment

Originally posted by Redone View Post
                        Errol,
                        Do you sell gold futures? NO offense, but the only other person I hear talk the way you do, sell gold and precious metals on the radio on Sunday morning
                        Gold suffers from global deflationary pressures and a sharp decline in physical gold buying demand by India consumers. Precious metal prices have done very little over the past five years and remains 30% below highs seen in 2012 during the China economic miracle period.

Recent temporary jumps in gold have been driven by geo-political events driving spec buying ie: North Korea. Gold prices needs the support of global inflation to thrive and maintain strength. Spec buying alone will not maintain gold rallies (IMO) . . . .

Comment

errol what effect will cryptos have on gold and any other market for that matter. There is only so much money to invest.
                          I think there is an initial time frame where cryptos are an investment then shouldn't they become a normal price stable as that value is figured out for each currency?
                          What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                            errol what effect will cryptos have on gold and any other market for that matter. There is only so much money to invest.
                            I think there is an initial time frame where cryptos are an investment then shouldn't they become a normal price stable as that value is figured out for each currency?
                            What are your thoughts?
                            If this occurs, banks and the banking system may be under pressure. Really have no idea right now as cryptos are now targeted by criminal money and unregulated.

Comment

That's true the value of them likely will be determined by how they are regulated or if not. if they catch on worldwide what would be the value of holding gold? Good backs money does crypto need to be backed? It's always there. No bank to go broke or no worry about the country go broke either. It's interesting stuff.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.