• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My farmland

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
    Don't feel sorry for the Ogema white farm boy. Married himself a horsie girl and you can tell where her priorities lie. Sell land, sell equipment, go get an off-farm job, as long as I can keep my horses happy. He sold family land, which I would think is unforgivable. I see Ritchie Bros. in his future, and a divorce. If he had stayed single with no kids, I think he had the ambition to be very successful.
    The ship sailed for that guy when his dad sold out. Not saying the son deserved to have it handed to him but how can one complain about competing and the local community dying when your own father sold out to them?

But here’s a question for you guys.

Why is it these guys who seem to get over extended always have fairly new machinery?

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
      The ship sailed for that guy when his dad sold out. Not saying the son deserved to have it handed to him but how can one complain about competing and the local community dying when your own father sold out to them?

But here’s a question for you guys.

Why is it these guys who seem to get over extended always have fairly new machinery?
      Why does the guy that rents as much as he can, think he is any different than the outside investor?

Either way the community gets smaller....

Comment

I give the guys from China farming in sask alot of credit. They seem like good people. The winery crew is a joke. The other sask farmer seems like he wants to be a bto and cant do it. Wants it real cheap. The Chinese guy and his family just go about their work. I'd have them for neighbors. And yes her horse hobby isn't cheap and the farm pays for that, wow get with it woman. Let's sell land to keep horses.

Comment

Farming is and will always be a tough life to try and raise a family the same time growing your farm.But today does not even come close to how bad the 80s and 90s were.It was 100% survival mode.most my age left and got good jobs in the city.Bought a quarter of land from a cousin that needed a down payment to buy a house.Banker told me it does not pencil out if I got it free.Bought it anyway and still have it.Think I bought 3 houses and down payment on another while settling with an older one along the way.looking back at all the land I wish I bought around me but reality was I could not afford it when it came for sale.Was just trying to pay and keep what I had.Can not turn the clock back.Just grateful I have land to sell at a decent price for my retirement.

Comment

I would argue that for some this new cycle in grain production is getting much more difficult than the eighties, wheat adjusted for inflation in 1985 was 15/bu, land financing then even with 15% rates were 98/ac on a 20 yr term vs 160/ac now and govt programs were much more liberal with the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix64 View Post
              I would argue that for some this new cycle in grain production is getting much more difficult than the eighties, wheat adjusted for inflation in 1985 was 15/bu, land financing then even with 15% rates were 98/ac on a 20 yr term vs 160/ac now and govt programs were much more liberal with the cash.
              Cash flow was the tough one back then.drought grasshoppers and CWB marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                Cash flow was the tough one back then.drought grasshoppers and CWB marketing.
                maybe so.....but a combine didn't cost well past $500000.00.

It might have been tough but your are not talking the same amounts of money and grain hasn't appreciated the same way.

****ing spell check on this phone...
                Last edited by bucket; Mar 16, 2019, 19:08.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.