• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Not a bad week if I say so my self.

We should be exactly at 30% left tonight or exactly where we were last year when the snow rain snow rain sun sun harvest rain started.

Most wheat is done in our area with yields respectful but below the last few years by up to 30%

Our late last 7 quarters will be interesting as it did catch a shower later in the season.

Flax harvest has started but since no killer frost yet cutting is interesting. Yields are down.

Oats harvest has started yields all over the place but way lower than last few years.

Barley is all but done and the malt game is upon us. Early results are we did ok.

Peas are all done and most sold or now that price is back to what it was earlier they are going on the second run.

Canola the harvest of sadness as the heat and drought did take its toll. It's a bumper if it was 1971. No 1971 was actually better. Price has nosedived so must have been one post on Twitter with a yield monitor. The basis is also insane for not just now but Jan and out. They want over a dollar a bushel basis. Funny No countries want to buy cheap and sell to china this year. Yield is realistically 30% or higher lower than in previous years. Canola needs rain to end and cooler days.

Rain this week on Sunday night and yesterday morning. It's still the year of the 1/10 as that's all she really did.

Stay safe and the truth will slowly squeak out. Most are now saying an average crop. I wish the reporting was better in Canada.

We put a wrap on 2020 this past weekend. Just over 6" of rain since Apr 1st, held us with yields average to below, and that was because our soil profile was 100% full last spring. Now we're completely tapped out, dry, dry, dry! Looking to the sky everyday for rain, would've gladly took an inch or two in the middle of harvest, just to get some moisture back in the ground. 2021 looking pretty bleak right now.
    We're an established farm so will be locking up the bins for the near term, need a price bump to make up some of the yield reduction. Glad we didn't pre contract, we just couldn't, not knowing were our yields would end up this year. Basis are indeed insane and are signaling me to wait for pricing. We can wait.
    Last edited by beaverdam; Sep 24, 2020, 07:56.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
      We put a wrap on 2020 this past weekend. Just over 6" of rain since Apr 1st, held us with yields average to below, and that was because our soil profile was 100% full last spring. Now we're completely tapped out, dry, dry, dry! Looking to the sky everyday for rain, would've gladly took an inch or two in the middle of harvest, just to get some moisture back in the ground. 2021 looking pretty bleak right now.
      Don't tell people ....let it become a crisis so farm leaders and politicians can pat themselves on the back..for doing what they are paid to do everyday...while I understand the carbon tax issues...having yields off 30 percent is a bit of a revenue hit as well and you won't see any help from any BRM program....

And use up your agriinvest before you ask for help...sarcasm...

Comment

We are edging in on 45%. Yesterday picked up a rock with my straight cut header that bent the drive roller on the center canvas, cost me a few hours. As I have said before the crops looked much better from the road, for that matter from the sprayer seat.

We have been doing wheat the last few days, Penhold and Crossfield CPS. Widely varying yields from 65 in one field to just under 80 in another. These 2 fields were only a mile and a half apart. Last years CPS yielded between 70-80 so I guess fairly similar year to year. Have to be honest I thought the wheat looked better this year.

Some canola being combined hearing yields between 30-55 bpa. It seems to depend how much is drowned out to how well it yields so we will see.

All I can say is I am enjoying this years harvest weather much better than last year years so far!

Comment

Have to agree there , the past two falls we’re not good at all .
          All grain here in bins is dry , wheat all good grade and decent protein except one field hailed out very bad .
          Got on standing canola a few days ago , dry . Swaths just barely ready late yesterday after 1.5 in rain Sunday .

Hopefully get a few more good days before next rain .

Comment

I will take anyone's rain that isn't wanted.

Comment

Us too! Take 2 inches of rain to fill the cracks!

Comment

Actually we needed rain as well , canola was getting too dry .
                Canola back up to 9-11 moisture

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  I will take anyone's rain that isn't wanted.
                  Farmaholic I’ve been trying to send you rain all summer. It always came back “return to sender” a few days later though. We’re at almost a week since the last shower........... running on borrowed time probably now.

Hopefully everyone gets what they need. I’d like an order of sunshine and a side of breeze. 🍀

Comment

Well our canola is a lot lower than 10. Yes it’s bone dry.

Working fields of pea stubble down. Sealing cracks up like Australia with the Kelly.

Oh **** Trudeau and all liberals.

Comment

Hopefully finish the standing canola today
                      Got corn silage plots to do with 6 varieties that should be interesting 👍
                      Corn 🌽 dried down very fast after last heavy frost
                      My buddies corn down to 62 ish moisture already .
                      Then hopefully get into decent canola that had very little hail

Comment

Ohhh , and environmental Canada says ...

But reality says ...,

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                          Farmaholic I’ve been trying to send you rain all summer. It always came back “return to sender” a few days later though. We’re at almost a week since the last shower........... running on borrowed time probably now.

Hopefully everyone gets what they need. I’d like an order of sunshine and a side of breeze. 🍀
                          We need weather contract "swaps".

Comment

We rented this unit for 50 hrs this fall
                            Neat tractor to run
                            Cart is nice
                            Both used , cart been rebuilt
                            Tractor is a 450 hp , a bit small with big loads
                            Tractor has been abused by previous BTO operation needs some work but very neat to run

Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 24, 2020, 13:40.

Comment

What's with European tractors and red rims, Fendt too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.