• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nature conservancy of Canada

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with governments getting involved, is the inevitable policy creep.

We have a quarter with a creek, the county designated the portion around the creek as an environmental reserve before we bought it. That means no farming, no pasturing, no tree cutting, no improvements, no buildings, just let it grow into a fire hazard. The remainder of the property is very productive farmland. And that is fine, the creek requires protection. It is a reasonable compromise.
    Now, a group of fisherman have a report out and are lobbying the county for more protection. One of their recommendations is to extend the policies of that environmental reserve out to almost 2 km. That would make this entire quarter worthless, another entire quarter of ours same( which is all high land), another rented quarter or two the same. And we have 4 more quarters right on the edge of that propsed reserve that with some more policy creep could find themselves in the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      The problem with governments getting involved, is the inevitable policy creep.

We have a quarter with a creek, the county designated the portion around the creek as an environmental reserve before we bought it. That means no farming, no pasturing, no tree cutting, no improvements, no buildings, just let it grow into a fire hazard. The remainder of the property is very productive farmland. And that is fine, the creek requires protection. It is a reasonable compromise.
      Now, a group of fisherman have a report out and are lobbying the county for more protection. One of their recommendations is to extend the policies of that environmental reserve out to almost 2 km. That would make this entire quarter worthless, another entire quarter of ours same( which is all high land), another rented quarter or two the same. And we have 4 more quarters right on the edge of that propsed reserve that with some more policy creep could find themselves in the same situation.

Yup I probably shouldn't graze to the creek but ducks unlimited dry the creek bed up and I like to graze it...if they want me to not graze it and fence it out ...well I need to be paid to stay out of the spring flood zone which is a substantial amount of acres. ...

Comment

I think there is a lag time between habitat destruction and wildlife population decline, but it is real.

Some species adapt and some can't.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          That Is a management issue not an issue of principle. That can be corrected. There are lots of examples of private landowners badly managing pastures. Are you in favour of enforcing management rules on private land owners? NCC is just another private land owner with different objectives.

I have no problem with farmers receiving support for conservation. There is lots of support for ALUS.

In some European countries you don't get subsidies unless you follow the environmental rules. Its the carrot approach.
          So is the police issue and BLM just a management issue and can be corrected?
          Last edited by flea beetle; Sep 20, 2020, 10:13.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            I think there is a lag time between habitat destruction and wildlife population decline, but it is real.

And one man's habitat destruction is another animals new garden of eden.
            If we travel west into the mountain parks, guaranteed to see more, far far more big game on the way past our own crop land than in the entire rest of the trip. Turns out there isn't much worth eating in a mature overgrown forest with no room for grass, but a canola crop is the height of luxury for a deer or moose.

The creek mentioned above, turns out the fish they are trying to protect were stocked there in the 30's. What's natural? Was that habitat destruction for some other species?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              Yup I probably shouldn't graze to the creek but ducks unlimited dry the creek bed up and I like to graze it...if they want me to not graze it and fence it out ...well I need to be paid to stay out of the spring flood zone which is a substantial amount of acres. ...
              I see lots of people grazing creek areas and causing lots of habitat loss in riparian areas and affecting water quality. We still have lots of people winter feeding near rivers and creeks which is even worse. There was money available for fencing riparian areas and putting in water systems under the environmental farm programs. Lots of farmers did the right thing and others not so much. I think the assumption is that because you own the land while you are alive you can do whatever you want with it, is wrong and short sighted. Especially when the impacts affect many others and can lead to long term negative impacts.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

No loss of population they just move to better managed pastures like my neighbors cows ....

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  And one man's habitat destruction is another animals new garden of eden.
                  If we travel west into the mountain parks, guaranteed to see more, far far more big game on the way past our own crop land than in the entire rest of the trip. Turns out there isn't much worth eating in a mature overgrown forest with no room for grass, but a canola crop is the height of luxury for a deer or moose.

The creek mentioned above, turns out the fish they are trying to protect were stocked there in the 30's. What's natural? Was that habitat destruction for some other species?
                  Except it’s not up to you or I to decide what is the right way to manage what is a public resource and A shared environment. That’s the responsibility of all stakeholders not just landowners. That’s why we have federal, provincial rules and regulations and municipal bylaws.

Comment

Burrowing owls, "bush" rabbits, other ground nesting birds. Even fewer jack rabbits here than before. Clear bush and fewer tree nesting raptors. Deer have held up quite well...too well actually lately. More moose here than ever before, now kinda permanent. Mink mostly unseen. Muskrat come and go with water levels. Really no beaver here. I think tree nesting birds really have declined here.

Comment

Except it’s not up to you or I to decide what is the right way to manage what is a public resource and A shared environment. That’s the responsibility of all stakeholders not just landowners. That’s why we have federal, provincial rules and regulations and municipal bylaws.
                      As I have said ...NCC is doing a shit job of pasture management. ..so who is overseeing them?

Comment

As I have said ...NCC is doing a shit job of pasture management. ..so who is overseeing them? Especially when they are receiving government money.

Comment

But I really like sparrows and pigeons.

Comment

I think that this is the outfit that trying to buy up land to have a corridor between the riding mountain park and the duck mountain park for wildlife travel. I call it the TB highway, go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              As I have said ...NCC is doing a shit job of pasture management. ..so who is overseeing them? Especially when they are receiving government money.
                              You make very valid points Bucket. This is another example of farmers having to compete with their own taxes they paid. Going by chuck’s strong support we know it won’t help farmers and agriculture.

Comment

Because you don't agree with me! hahahah

Wisehole you must live a very sheltered life if you are so offended by other points of view!
                                That’s rich coming from you , 🤔

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.