• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A + W shift gears

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A + W shift gears

A+W's new TV ad is promoting grass fed beef in their burgers. The commercial shows a rancher from Ontario and Alberta with an explanation as to how cattle manure producers a better grass crop, as well how it increases organic matter in the soil.

The A +W ad is actually very educational and very positive for beef producers.

Maybe A+W read the Agriville thread several months ago complaining about their fake burgers, who knows it could have been a slow day in their head office and they needed some entertainment.

Great new commercial!

It would be interesting to know which countries supply cattle to A&W and how the contract is worded with the producer regarding hormone free and grass fed cattle, maybe only a % of the cattle have to meet that standard . . . details are important.

Comment

Lean grind comes from cull cows which are usually hormone free. At least here in Canada cows don’t get implants.

Comment

I never even tried a beyond meat burger.

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
          It would be interesting to know which countries supply cattle to A&W and how the contract is worded with the producer regarding hormone free and grass fed cattle, maybe only a % of the cattle have to meet that standard . . . details are important.
          A & W is likely in the process of slowly shifting there supply chain to South American or NZ beef since you can graze to some extent there 12 months of the year. Always smell a rat with those guys. That is one major competitive disadvantage the Canadian cattle industry has. The grazing season is too short so you really can't supply true grass fed beef even if you would want to.

Comment

As a former grass farmer I support their approach. I may reconsider eating ther in light of this.

It is a good ad despite the same little shyster rep for the company.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
              A & W is likely in the process of slowly shifting there supply chain to South American or NZ beef since you can graze to some extent there 12 months of the year. Always smell a rat with those guys. That is one major competitive disadvantage the Canadian cattle industry has. The grazing season is too short so you really can't supply true grass fed beef even if you would want to.
              I believe most of their supply has usually been from New Zealand. It wouldn’t be a new development.

That was one of the issues when they originally started down this road, they couldn’t find enough Canadian ranches to supply what they required. Initially I believe one large ranch in BC and a couple in Alberta maybe. Over the last decade trends have been changing and while many still buck the marketing scheme, many others have started taking advantage of it. It’s not surprising there are more producers now able to supply what A&W are looking for.

Much like McDonalds and their VBP+, although they came about it from a different direction.

Comment

Maybe there’s a market for Mary Jane Grass-Fed beef? I think maybe so.

Comment

Lots of ranchers interested in regenerative ag and grass fed beef should find a market opportunity with supplying A and W. But changing comes hard for some people.

The unfortunate reality is its hard to compete with regions that can have animals on grass 365 days per year.

Comment

Hopefully global warming will allow for 365 day a year grazing here in western canuckistan.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                      Lots of ranchers interested in regenerative ag and grass fed beef should find a market opportunity with supplying A and W. But changing comes hard for some people.

The unfortunate reality is its hard to compete with regions that can have animals on grass 365 days per year.
                      Unless it’s written right into their standards, grass fed doesn’t tend to exclude feeds like hay, haylage, or silage. In fact, I’d say it’s likely a large portion of the NZ beef herd would be fed silage at some point due to being housed during wet winter weather.

Realistically most farmers in Canada are probably quite close to being grass fed. It’s just the cheap feed grain that makes it easier to supplement with grain in winter rations instead of quality forage. A small amount of tweaking to practices like including more stockpiled grazing and a focus on forage quality could both be things that get cattle that one step closer to being grain free. A bit of a price boost to help compensate towards forage costs and away from feed grains would always help. (When wouldn’t a price boost help Hah)

It’s actually quite shocking how some animals can fit into labels. I’ve seen “Natural Beef” that’s raised in the typical feedlot setting with very little difference besides what sort of implants and feed additives they get.
                      Last edited by Blaithin; Sep 18, 2020, 11:29.

Comment

I don’t see the difference in grazing or feeding a bale of hay for labeling or quality of meat? Is rhere?
                        I do see the adding of growth hormones as a problem. Personally I don’t want it.
                        If a beef is sick give it what it needs the alternative is cruelty otherwise slaughter it and dispose.
                        Tried bison for first time and wow couldn’t believe how close to beef the taste was and supposedly good for iron cholesterol etc. They seem to have a good no chemical marketing thing going which was the reason I tried it.
                        Still get my beef from neighbors that have what I prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                          What do you think cows eat in the winter up here, snow??

Comment

We have a very small pasture that the renter removed the cattle from today.. it is way too early to start feeding cattle. But what are they supposed to do? The native grass pastures are screwed, tame grass not much better. Even normal stocking rates were too high this year.

So yup, Canada is not the place to promote "grass fed only beef" for A&W burgers from.

Ultimately I guess hay was once grass.....

Where's Grassfarmer?

Comment

There will be a lot of pairs on the market by the end of May if moisture conditions don't improve.

You only need a gallon or two in the tank to start a crop, but you need the tank half full to grow grass.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.