• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola grading app.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola grading app.

Father and son developed an app to determine green canola grade Will be interesting to see how accepted this is within the grain cos. Sometimes same sample can have vastly different grade due to different green levels.
    Would be nice if it works.

Know them well, wish them well.

Comment

Sometimes the same sample can have vastly different green just between strips.

Be interesting to compare in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        Sometimes the same sample can have vastly different green just between strips.

Be interesting to compare in any case.
        Yes I wonder how they will overcome that perhaps average more tests?
        I have seen great variability between different people
        Grading at the same elevator as to what a distinct green is so even if the app only clearly lessens that discrepancy it would help.

Haven’t looked at it myself but a neighbor claims if you use green tape as apposed to the standard yellow coloured tape to roll out the seeds it taints the look of green colouring?

Comment

Yes, need to use the right coloured tape.

Think the CGC has a recommended shade. Much like the lights and grading mats have to be standard as well.

Half tempted to roll some out on some painters tape though. Might make the distinctly greens more obvious and the limeys just vanish.

The real ability would be to test green without crushing. Too tough and crushes can be hard, everything squishes together. Too dry and it just flakes off the tape and who knows what’s what. The definition of distinctly green is hard to find. Can there be yellow in it? Can’t there be any yellow. Etc etc etc. In words crushing and counting greens sounds ridiculously simple. Then you hit a strip of 2 or 3 can with a large amount of limes and your eyes cross and you begin to greatly dislike canola.

That’s without touching on people being colour blind which does seem to be fairly common.

Crushing would be a step only required to check for heated and damaged, not green.

Comment

Yes, need to use the right coloured tape.

Think the CGC has a recommended shade. Much like the lights and grading mats have to be standard as well.

Half tempted to roll some out on some painters tape though. Might make the distinctly greens more obvious and the limeys just vanish.

The real ability would be to test green without crushing. Too tough and crushes can be hard, everything squishes together. Too dry and it just flakes off the tape and who knows what’s what. The definition of distinctly green is hard to find. Can there be yellow in it? Can’t there be any yellow. Etc etc etc. In words crushing and counting greens sounds ridiculously simple. Then you hit a strip of 2 or 3 can with a large amount of limes and your eyes cross and you begin to greatly dislike canola.

That’s without touching on people being colour blind which does seem to be fairly common.

Crushing would be a step only required to check for heated and damaged, not green.
            Haha well my eyes crossed a few times maybe it was due to higher blood pressure when i was getting 2 and 3 green at home then I watched the roll out at the elevator and the guy was seeing like 8.

Interesting about the colour of tape pioneer used green tape and viterra was using the yellow last year. Didn’t know they had to have the same kind.

Maybe someone can do something to grade wheat?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
              Haha well my eyes crossed a few times maybe it was due to higher blood pressure when i was getting 2 and 3 green at home then I watched the roll out at the elevator and the guy was seeing like 8.

Interesting about the colour of tape pioneer used green tape and viterra was using the yellow last year. Didn’t know they had to have the same kind.

Maybe someone can do something to grade wheat?
              Tape colour could be a quality control decision between elevators and not a CGC thing. Perhaps that’s something that should be standardized if that’s the case. Even just moving tape out from underneath lights to a different lighting can change a count.

Wheats a pain, not sure how an app could grade it. Lots of factors going on there.

Comment

Tape colour could be a quality control decision between elevators and not a CGC thing. Perhaps that’s something that should be standardized if that’s the case. Even just moving tape out from underneath lights to a different lighting can change a count.

Wheats a pain, not sure how an app could grade it. Lots of factors going on there.
                Am somewhat astonished that there isn’t a standard for those grading factors since they can have such an effect on the outcome. Wonder then if the app somehow overcomes these factors? Can the app distinguish the difference in green regardless of the tape and lights etc.?
                Maybe a machine that standardizes the conditions that you place the seed into is the real answer then. Or as you mentioned somehow determine without crushing.

If someone could develope an app or machine to do wheat that would be very useful, yes lots of factors but would think it should be possible.

Maybe I ll be taking my own favourite tape to the elevator. Lol

Comment

Take green and yellow tape. Say you want the grade from the best one!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.