• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

November Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November Canola

Can't decide what it wants, or maybe it has...
    5 minute chart

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roller coaster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	779430

Looks like a whole bunch of little somebodies want it to go up, and one big somebody wants it to go down.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      Looks like a whole bunch of little somebodies want it to go up, and one big somebody wants it to go down.
      Classic commodity market . . . steps up, elevator ride down.

Many small uncapitalized bulls can get wiped out quickly by big bears sniffing out overheated markets . . . . A key reason why bears (sellers) are generally more successful at trading commodity markets.

Comment

Hedgers note . . . January $480/MT put options traded for $9/MT today. January $480 put strike price - put premium $9/MT = $471/MT ($10.68/bu) - fall delivered basis = net return. This position can be held until Xmas with no production or delivery obligation.

Note: A Jan $490 put may trade for $14/MT which would increase your floor price about 10 cents/bu. Advantage of Jan over Nov put is . . . the grower can work the post harvest basis more effectively (IMO). You have more time.

Comment

But then what about the "specials!!!" 🤪

Comment

Errol, 101 do you guys think November contract will actually hit $490 this summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
              Errol, 101 do you guys think November contract will actually hit $490 this summer?
              My two-bits worth . . . Nov canola has heavy resistance @ $488/MT with major support seen around $468/MT. Tomorrow is USDA . . . if USDA throws the market a bone and we rally . . . hit it. Rallies won't hold (IMO).

The Phase One trade deal is what was accidental announced by the U.S. trade rep in late June . . . dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                Timing is not good. 50/50 or smaller chance for an intraday @490.

Farm deliveries were just under half a million tonnes for the week ended June 28. Haven't run out yet. If speculation pushes the futures higher I would watch for basis to deteriorate

Comment

My contract is based on July 2021. With a very good premium(positive basis) and of course no negative basis.

Up until we got the 1.1 inch rain I was nervous about locking in a price on any production, because then Im committed. The basis is carrykng an AOG clause. More confident now. I should probably do some but am afraid to leave a nickel on the table.....lol.

Comment

Is everything priced in or is there some bullish news to push prices a bit higher short term? Although I have lots of time on my contract.

Alot can happen before the expiry of RSN21 in June 2021.

RSN21 is closed above $500 last trading session, $20 carry off RSX20.

January 2013 canola touched $600. I'm there with my premium but wouldn't it be nice if the futures rallied some more.

How is July $500 canola traditionally rated?

Is there a chart for that 101?
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 10, 2020, 06:31.

Comment

Here is a 15 year monthly July continuation chart

Note: the chart is set to roll at the beginning of the last week in June
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	RSNC15Y.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	769920
                      Last edited by farming101; Jul 10, 2020, 07:21.

Comment

Next "window" for a downturn is just before the combines roll. Remember 2013

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
                          Next "window" for a downturn is just before the combines roll. Remember 2013
                          The slaughter continued into Feb 14. $8 cash canola. 50+ basis

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                            The slaughter continued into Feb 14. $8 cash canola. 50+ basis
                            Fwiw and just my thought process, last ratchet up, 2007-2008 was an 18 month phase transition, it got sold the entire way up only to make new highs, a doubling. 12 years ago is too fresh in our minds. We can not argue the massive coiling going on. The only path i see possible is a complete washout ala '13-'14 leading us to believe the world is gonna end which will provide the fuel for the next ratchet up. I could be wrong but there's some target deep under current market levels that need filling. I think beans go sub $7. Wait and see.

Comment

If we see 676 soy my mentality will shift from sell every rally to weld the bin doors using options to reown multi year inventory. Upside target being $33. That's when i call Ritchie Bros.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.