• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$343 Billion

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$343 Billion

So the projected federal deficit for 2020-2021 is $343 billion. Net federal debt at the end of this budget period over $1.2 trillion. The Liberal’s have always preferred to express debt as a percentage of GDP, that will be just over 49% up from 31% last year. They are doing an awesome job! FML

$9,125 per capita

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      So the projected federal deficit for 2020-2021 is $343 billion. Net federal debt at the end of this budget period over $1.2 trillion. The Liberal’s have always preferred to express debt as a percentage of GDP, that will be just over 49% up from 31% last year. They are doing an awesome job! FML
      They are doing an awesome job of buying generations of liberal voters amongst the financially illiterate class, which evidently has become the majority.
      They have also done an excellent job of making Canada a prime candidate for take over by the UN
      It is all about how you frame the issue. You mistakenly thought their goal was responsible governance.

Comment

And not much for the average farmer .....

2 billion for improved BRM programs would be a drop in the bucket and yet nothing.....

Comment

No question this is a massive deficit if you ignore that every other country is adding similar amounts of debt because of the pandemic. Lets compare Canada's deficit to the US deficit for this year. The US have allocated US$2 trillion for the CARES ACT in March and $US3 trillion for the HEROES ACT in May to deal with Covid 19. (over 7 trillion dollars Canadian and at 10/1 population ratio this would work out to double the deficit Canada is running per person).

In March 2020 the US national debt stood at US$23.5 trillion and at the end of June the US national debt was over US$26 trillion. Since Trump became president the national US debt has grown by more than US$ 6 trillion dollars

Apparently the right can spend just as well as the left!
          Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jul 8, 2020, 15:53.

Comment

DML, two words :
            Reserve Currency.
            Any comparison Between Canada and the US's ability To manage deficit spending or even out right money printing is meaningless.

Not sure why you brought up left vs right, Trumps rhetoric and track record is anything but right center.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              DML, two words :
              Reserve Currency.
              Any comparison Between Canada and the US's ability To manage deficit spending or even out right money printing is meaningless.

Not sure why you brought up left vs right, Trumps rhetoric and track record is anything but right center.
              You are ignoring that fact that there are more than one reserve currency in the world. Reserve currency is not a god given right, or set in stone. It is simply a willingness to hold that country's currency as a hedge and to facilitate foreign trade.

Yes the US is the dominant world currency, with about 60% of reserves. But the world bank lists other recognized reserve currencies too. For example as of 2019:
              1. U.S. Dollar: $6.74 trillion (61.82%)
              2. Euro: $2.21 trillion (20.24%)
              3. Japanese Yen: $572 billion (5.25%)
              4. Pound Sterling: $495 billion (4.54%)
              5. Chinese Renminbi: $213 billion (1.95%)

Interestingly the Country in 6th Place in Reserve Currency is Canada at 210 billion (1.92%)

Should the world decide the US is no longer the economic powerhouse it once was, or that US$26 trillion in debt it has, or if they simply decide they would rather buy commodities (oil, wheat etc) in Euros or Rubles, or even Canadian dollars, the US could lose it reserve currency leader status. Markets are a funny thing that way.
              Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jul 8, 2020, 15:40.

Comment

Oh, and the reason I brought up right and left was simply because 2 posters ahead were laying blame on Liberals, who I assume represent the left economically. And I honestly thought Trump and the Republican party is still consider right leaning economically.

Comment

There is a pretty big difference between 6.7 trillion and 2.2 trillion. Most people can grasp a million dollars. A billion dollars is hard to fathom, and a trillion dollars is unthinkable.

Comment

dml the US economy is nothing like Canadas. Comparing our debt to theirs is moot. Thats an industrialized first world country with vibrant growth across all sectors. Ours is a debt backwater being held up with FIRE. You need to do some digging.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                      Oh, and the reason I brought up right and left was simply because 2 posters ahead were laying blame on Liberals, who I assume represent the left economically. And I honestly thought Trump and the Republican party is still consider right leaning economically.
                      I would agree that today’s iteration of the Liberal Party would certainly be considered left of center, traditionally I would have considered them more of a centrist party. As for Republican’s in the U.S. certainly traditionally right of center. Trump’s version of the party is somewhat contradictory. Lower corporate taxes is certainly a right of center policy but protectionist trade policies including tariffs is more left of center. I was specifically talking about Canada, not sure that pointing out bad policies in other countries makes me feel any better. It will be my children and grandchildren that will have to pay for the vote buying policies of today’s federal government. I think both Trudeau and Trump are poor leaders but I do get tired of Trump being brought up to try and make Justin Trudeau less incompetent!!

Comment

Went too long and too deep. The jobs will not be there when things normalize. Canada already has the highest G7 UE rate and ran the debt up even faster than all its peers. We have long recovery ahead of us if we can come out of it at all.

Here is RBCs take on it. ie dollar is toast

While Canada’s AAA rating was a strong talking point, Fitch’s downgrade did little to stir government debt markets. But the gargantuan financial requirement announced in the fiscal update—the government will borrow some $713 billion from markets this year—has already put some pressure on yields, especially for longer term government borrowing.

https://thoughtleadership.rbc.com/costly-covid-stimulus-loads-343-billion-onto-2020-deficit/

Canadas actual debt is closer to $3T.
                        Last edited by jazz; Jul 8, 2020, 20:56.

Comment

Most of the people that I know that got CERB used it to buy guns. For hunting.

Just think, once they buy the prohibs from people, how much the UN's disarmament agenda is going to add to the already out of control deficit?

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                            Most of the people that I know that got CERB used it to buy guns. For hunting.

Just think, once they buy the prohibs from people, how much the UN's disarmament agenda is going to add to the already out of control deficit?
                            Gun grab will quietly disappear. Have got to cut costs everywhere they can now, the deficit numbers are out. This wasteful exercise will be shelved, quietly.

Comment

Sask is fully open now yet you can see literally dozens of storefronts, restaurants, personal services shops who arent bothering to even try. You cant make a recovery with half your place empty and having to double your staff to wipe the place down every 5 minutes. F was this stupid. Idiots in charge.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.