• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions to farmers...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting.

No I won’t benefit from this project, but the province will. Trying to stay positive here, as the Gardner dam when built was the biggest earth filled dam in the world, how dare they take the risk, no industry, no population etc etc that 40 million dollars maybe could have or even should. Have been spent on what?
    - hydro contributes 500 million dollars in revenue each year in sask.
    - Lake Diefenbaker supplies 60 % of Sask drinking water needs.
    Etc
    Etc

Was the 40 million fed /provincial a waste of money?

The spillway is open, if you’ve never been there you should go. Every one leaves and says wow!

Comment

Why arent they trying to get irrigation going in the paliser triangle. That is were the biggest bang for a buck would be

Comment

If the province is still funding the current 30 year old projects ...how is the province benefitting?

What is really annoying is private irrigators that have spent their own money are being shit on by the province not providing simple water licenses or the WSA allowing things like lowering lake levels for a DU project...

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
          Whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting.

No I won’t benefit from this project, but the province will. Trying to stay positive here, as the Gardner dam when built was the biggest earth filled dam in the world, how dare they take the risk, no industry, no population etc etc that 40 million dollars maybe could have or even should. Have been spent on what?
          - hydro contributes 500 million dollars in revenue each year in sask.
          - Lake Diefenbaker supplies 60 % of Sask drinking water needs.
          Etc
          Etc

Was the 40 million fed /provincial a waste of money?

The spillway is open, if you’ve never been there you should go. Every one leaves and says wow!
          Spillway is open again?

What they should do is build the dam at Leader if water is an important resource....then let farmers use their money to irrigate...

Opening the spillway means they could of filled another lake the size of lake Diefenbaker ....we seen the spillway open over 10 years ago....before that they hadn't opened them other than maintenence. ...and yes it's quite a site ....you have to hear it.

You know if they built a dam at leader with a hydro facility and then used the water again at the coteau plant....that gets to be pretty efficient use of water....its called cascading the water ...using it two or three times before flushing it...

Open spillway is flushing water....but it also helps mitigate floods and build capacity for future water events...like the 2 inches we are supposedly in for this week....
          Last edited by bucket; Jul 6, 2020, 07:26.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            500 million for 80000 acres is 6250 which equates to about $875,000 per quarter plus on farm expense...just about a million a quarter...

If my average sized farm got one million in total in free capital there isa good chance my farm would be better off...

They are getting that for every quarter of irrigated land.....one miiiiiillion dollars per quarter...plus operating cost subsidized as well...in perpetuality....
            Just across the border in Southern Alberta , if you have a 1/4 section with an irrigation pivot you are looking at big $$$ to buy any land in that area. I have heard as high as seven figures.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              We don't have a natural gas service on Ghetto Central of the Slum of the Ghetto. Quotes for service are astronomical. Add in a service large enough for a grain drier and it's much worse, depending on distance and volume requested.

Can I get government to pay for that asset for my farm?

What's the difference?
              That is just crazy. down here in my area they are shutting in natural gas fields the past few years because they aren't making any money ,and in your area you can't even get a line put to the yard without mortgaging a 1/4 of land!

Just last year a local gas company made the announcement they were shutting in a 1500 well gas field over a three year period. Granted some of the wells didn't produce too good anymore , but quite a few guys lost their jobs or had to relocate.

This has been going on for some time down here.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
                Just across the border in Southern Alberta , if you have a 1/4 section with an irrigation pivot you are looking at big $$$ to buy any land in that area. I have heard as high as seven figures.
                I think the Alberta guys used some of their own money to build it...in Saskatchewan the capitalists use government money to build it and keep the capital gain ...

Saskatchewan irrigation projects are at a disadvantage ...really no different than dryland....low population means we are an exporter....consolidation of rail and elevators in this area means more production has to be trucked instead of using rail ( really stupid that they pulled the rail lines and elevators to Riverhurst and Outlook ) ...but I guess some would call that job creation by default...

Further from port means higher freight costs when you get on rail lowering the net price...

But i guess if the government is picking up 40 bucks an acre for five years on district irrigation land....you have a little extra money to wreck secondary highways trucking grain....

Is anyone understand what I am trying to say about these projects ...yet?

....the infrastructure that was there for all farmers is gone...the fact they thought of 4 billion to spent means highways in general continue to crumble for everyone...

The fact they rebuild highways to secondary standards while talking about a 100000 acre project is complete lack of planning...

They government spent 25 million for the highway between Eyebrow and Moose Jaw ....now they are going to spend 3 billion on irrigation in the area with a secondary highway and the 10000 tonne concrete elevator closed in Eyebrow....Seems to me there would be potential there for both an expansion of the elevator rail spur and maybe container loading with this future wealth being created.....thunk ....fell off my chair laughing.

You guys know the GTH was set up for this Quappelle south irrigation project ...right....produce to be moved through that site....

Its even more laughable now. Worse than the Spudco fiasco...
                Last edited by bucket; Jul 6, 2020, 07:54.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.