• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native Agriculture Against Cottagers’ Rights

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native Agriculture Against Cottagers’ Rights

At Pidgeon Lake in Ontario, wild rice is being seeded to the chagrin of cottagers wishing to enjoy their piers, boating and fishing. Seems the wild rice will ruin the amenities. Interesting times.

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
    At Pidgeon Lake in Ontario, wild rice is being seeded to the chagrin of cottagers wishing to enjoy their piers, boating and fishing. Seems the wild rice will ruin the amenities. Interesting times.

#wildricematters

Keep me in steady supply of wild rice and watch a bunch of pompous aristocratic families get told where to **** off.

Win-win for me.

Comment

I’m not entirely sure that’s how “wild” rice is meant to work.

Comment

Wild Rice is native grass to Canada and northern US states. Not an invasive species pretty tough for the cottagers to win this battle. Better come up with some sore of compromise especially with what's going on regarding all the protests taking place.

Comment

This sounds wacky but with all the urban people who have 6-7 figures invested in their getaway cottage this will be interesting to watch how this unfolds.

Comment

More interesting yet if they seed the QuAppelle river system.

Comment

Wild rice is good eating and damn expensive. If somebody was seeding it where I boat I absolutely know what I'd be doing. Its really simple to harvest.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
                Wild rice is good eating and damn expensive. If somebody was seeding it where I boat I absolutely know what I'd be doing. Its really simple to harvest.
                Bigzee could pay for that pontoon boat pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                  I’m not entirely sure that’s how “wild” rice is meant to work.
                  Indians been doing it here locally for centuries. Take majority, leave some to reseed and scatter some on the way home. It sells for $8-10/lb here. Got a few pounds sitting in pantry right now. They make a breakfast cereal with it in MN, similar to Red River.

Comment

I would never buy a cottage/cabin/house on a lake/land owned by First Nations where the building sits on land that is leased.....even a 99 year lease What could possibly go wrong?

If the wild rice is being sewn on reserve land, what right does the leasee have to oppose it?

Sumdumguy, could wild rice even be successfully grown in the Qu'Appelle Valley chain of lakes?
                    If it was the right environment you would think it would be growing naturally already this far south.

Comment

Let’s try it out Farmaholic. 👍 I will google it.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        Let’s try it out Farmaholic. 👍 I will google it.
                        There is seed in the pantry of this house.
                        I supply the seed, you supply the lake.

Who do we pay the PBR seedtax to?
                        Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 5, 2020, 21:36.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...