• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ritche Bros, Farm dispersal sale..... interesting?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritche Bros, Farm dispersal sale..... interesting?

Part of Ritche Bros. July 9 auction is a complete dispersal for Zou Farming Corp.

Is it the same people as in these stories?:

https:/heglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/seed-capital-how-immigrants-are-reshaping-saskatchewans-farmland/article4610589//www.t

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/in-pictures-enchanted-with-the-prairies-chinese-entrepreneur-invests-in-sask-farmland/article4610609/

Farming can be a tough gig in Canada. Its easier to just own the land and rent it out. Less risk.

Get in line to rent the land if they kept it. I think most people know where I come in on this issue.

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Part of Ritche Bros. July 9 auction is a complete dispersal for Zou Farming Corp.

https:/heglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/seed-capital-how-immigrants-are-reshaping-saskatchewans-farmland/article4610589//www.t

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/in-pictures-enchanted-with-the-prairies-chinese-entrepreneur-invests-in-sask-farmland/article4610609/

Farming can be a tough gig in Canada. Its easier to just own the land and rent it out. Less risk.

Get in line to rent the land if they kept it. I think most people know where I come in on this issue.
    Darn, I was just thinking of asking if anyone knew their status. I like an underdog story, and was rooting for them to succeed.

How about the other farmer in the CBC story, with the horsey wife?

What about the biggest organic farmer who was all over the news for a while, still going?

Comment

This has nothing to do with schadenfreude, I'm on record as saying I don't care who("investor") buys land as long as they want to farm it. But when that investor only becomes a landlord my attitude towards the situation changes.

Comment

Any farmers I talk with claim that there is very little profit in farming. The end game is a slow build of equity through land ownership. A marathon career, not a sprinting carrer.
        I am curious about the large organic farm as well. It has been awhile so I dont remember exactly what the global news clip portrayed. It was a very nice farm setup and I think the farmer said he built that organic farm from nothing. If this was true then I think they are still going.

Comment

zou farms bought a bunch of land and worked with local farmer to learn the ropes.Farmed about half the land he bought on his own for a few years.He did as good as anyone in the area.Decided easier to live on Vancouver Island and collect rent.But the CBCstorywas a Cornach Chinese farmer not Zou.The other farmer is doing very well.Was able to buy some land because of renting.His Dad retired and he bought some of his and rents the rest.Does a lot of custom work.

Comment

This has nothing to do with schadenfreude, I'm on record as saying I don't care who("investor") buys land as long as they want to farm it. But when that investor only becomes a landlord my attitude towards the situation changes.
            I agree, that is why I Like this guy and this story at least as presented by the media. I'd love to see more people destroy the Prevailing narrative that You have to be a multi generation member of the privileged old white boys club to do this for a living.
            As you say, What do you do with the land now that they are not farming it will speak volumes

Comment

Although I don't know anyone's situation but if they had the resources to buy a bunch of land......

Farming isn't for the faint of heart or anyone who knows better!

Maybe they didn't like the RISK! ...... of actively farming it?

Comment

Sounds like I have the wrong farmers, from the wrong media story. Either way, I want them to succeed at actually farming it. Would put a lot of naysayers in their place.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                  Any farmers I talk with claim that there is very little profit in farming. The end game is a slow build of equity through land ownership. A marathon career, not a sprinting carrer.
                  I am curious about the large organic farm as well. It has been awhile so I dont remember exactly what the global news clip portrayed. It was a very nice farm setup and I think the farmer said he built that organic farm from nothing. If this was true then I think they are still going.
                  I believe the one you are talking about was backed by Andjelic

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    I agree, that is why I Like this guy and this story at least as presented by the media. I'd love to see more people destroy the Prevailing narrative that You have to be a multi generation member of the privileged old white boys club to do this for a living.
                    As you say, What do you do with the land now that they are not farming it will speak volumes
                    There’s lots of people out there trying to destroy that narrative.

Alas it’s a narrative for a reason. It’s bloody hard to get into farming from scratch! Even if you’re an old white boy who’s decided to change your path late in life. The capital needed is the biggest factor of course, but it’s also hard to crack into the small communities.

It’s funny, the farmers around me aren’t too gung ho to rent out coulees for people for their cattle. Can’t really blame them, in lots of cases it would require a heavy investment in fencing. Had a city guy move out a couple years ago, I can rent from him and the only cost is giving him beef from the freezer.

So the generational farmers complain about big corps and Hutterites buying up land as they sell out and how nobody young wants to farm these days, but it’s the city folk coming out to acreages that have given the best in for me, personally.

It’s been my experience that established farmers like to talk the talk about helping new farmers get going. Few actually ever walk the walk. Makes it even more exceptional to find new farms succeeding despite this.
                    Last edited by Blaithin; Jul 3, 2020, 13:25.

Comment

Hello there, My name is Sheldon Zou. I am the guy on that Global Mail 8 years ago, as well as the
                      complete dispersal auction at RB Regina.
                      Ever since I started farming about 10 years ago. I spent lots of time on this site and thecombineforum. Picked up tips from each post as much as i could. When I started, I didn't know what's a pry bar or anything you guys mentioned here day in and day out. Now, I could pretty much handled all jobs on my farm. I want to thanks everyone on this forum for that. Farmers of Saskatchewan are so kind to new comer, especially around Ogema. Neighbours helped me so much, one guy stopped his half million dollars combine and came to fix my $300 pull type swather. He also fixed my grain truck when I was picking part in Regina. One guy helped me calibrated grain cart on my drill at seeding time. One rescued me on highway 39 when my JD header fall off trailer at weekend. One spent a whole day fixed my drill axle at seeding time. And most of help I mentioned above were free of charge.
                      FARMAHOLIC, you are right, farming isn't for the faint of heart. Last Oct. , when I waited for my flax to be ready under snow ( 10 quarters). I was so frustrated and desperate. I deeply agree with one post here " it would be so nice if it just doesn't matter". Luckily for me, it turned out alright, we managed finishing every acre of crop into bins with locals help before winter. Although the yield was under average, price was good this spring. Now, there are two very good young farmers renting my land, they are my friends as well. I hope they all doing well.
                      Farming on prairie has been such a mixing feeling experience for me. I can not survive it without local help and you guys knowledge. Thanks again, I hope everyone here have a wonderful season and farming career.

Comment

Originally posted by itisfarmer View Post
                        Hello there, My name is Sheldon Zou. my land, they are my friends as well. I hope they all doing well.
                        Sorry it didn't work out for you Sheldon, we have all faced some weather extremes these past few yrs that have pushed a lot of people to the breaking point. Learning to manage that part of farming is one of its biggest challenges.

Comment

I think Sheldon's post hit on a really important point. One of the biggest boost to an intergenerational operation is the transfer of knowledge.

You seem to have a really good attitude Sheldon. I see success in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                            I think Sheldon's post hit on a really important point. One of the biggest boost to an intergenerational operation is the transfer of knowledge.

You seem to have a really good attitude Sheldon. I see success in your future.
                            Really dumb question here and I don't know how old Sheldon is.....

But is this the kind of guy agriculture should allow to fail due to circumstances out of his control?

I ask this because the government announced a 4 billion dollar irrigation project for a select few and are forgetting that guys like this are part of the future of farming...or should be....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Really dumb question here and I don't know how old Sheldon is.....

But is this the kind of guy agriculture should allow to fail due to circumstances out of his control?

I ask this because the government announced a 4 billion dollar irrigation project for a select few and are forgetting that guys like this are part of the future of farming...or should be....
                              Can you imagine the guys that are going to hit the jackpot with 1/4's of land all of a sudden worth a million dollars because they got irrigation? Good for them I guess.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.