• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheering for snow on standing crops...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheering for snow on standing crops...

Do I have this backwards? All crops still standing, only harvested 90 acres of green tough wheat. Remaining wheat has visible green heads, canola still weeks(to months) away from dry, some grass green, a few insignificant patches still flowering, most leaning hard, very little lodging in cereals.
    -6 forecast for tomorrow night, no completely killing frost until now. If it can snow enough to lay down the crops, and stick around long enough to insulate through the night, I think we can minimize the damage. It has worked before.

Plus, we haven't used the snowmobiles for a little over 4 months....

OMG, what a place to try and farm...meanwhile in the shitty political area of earth, Ukraine is planting winter crops, after their harvest is done!

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
      OMG, what a place to try and farm...meanwhile in the shitty political area of earth, Ukraine is planting winter crops, after their harvest is done!
      We’re ahead of them but just don’t realize it. Our “winter” crops were seeded in June 😎

Comment

Fj, my roots come from the Schwarz Meer area of the Ukraine(Klein Liebenthal supposedly)....but they came from Germany originally.....and now we're in Canada. Took generations to make it all happen, maybe a couple of centuries. Where next, back into that political instability? Maybe Putin, like Catherine the Great did Germans, will court good Canadian farmers to maximize the Agricultural potential of the Ukraine. With promises of freedom of religion and from military service. To educate and rear our children with our own culture....until they change their mind and the Bolsheviks show up.

Let's go and start a farming colony and name it "Landwirtschaftdorf" "Agriville".

Pardon my internet translations...

I'd probably just want to invade and take over your farm anyway and make you work for me.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 12, 2018, 15:57.

Comment

Dont worry, with global warming I am sure we will be double cropping in a few short years.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            Dont worry, with global warming I am sure we will be double cropping in a few short years.
            Lol yup ... 🌵⛄️🌵⛄️🌵⛄️

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Lol yup ... 🌵⛄️🌵⛄️🌵⛄️
              Feels like it already........ just throw a flood in every now and then for good measure

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Where next, back into that political instability? Maybe Putin, like Catherine the Great did Germans, will court good Canadian farmers to maximize the Agricultural potential of the Ukraine.
                You wouldn't be the first. There are some already, people from the 'west' working in the former Soviet countries as farmers and consultants.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  Do I have this backwards? All crops still standing, only harvested 90 acres of green tough wheat. Remaining wheat has visible green heads, canola still weeks(to months) away from dry, some grass green, a few insignificant patches still flowering, most leaning hard, very little lodging in cereals.
                  -6 forecast for tomorrow night, no completely killing frost until now. If it can snow enough to lay down the crops, and stick around long enough to insulate through the night, I think we can minimize the damage. It has worked before.

Plus, we haven't used the snowmobiles for a little over 4 months....
                  I think it's over AB5, I've had half inch ice on a pail of water this am. I finished swathing a bunch of green canola yesterday, not early enough to save it but at least won't have to swath freeze dried canola, been there done that.

I too was thinking about a heavy snow to insulate but only the odd flury. Quite a bit of snow around Canmore this am.

Comment

Mother nature may have misunderstood my request. It got cold first, then started accumulating snow. -4 by morning, and freezing all night. Lots on the ground now.

Comment

Originally posted by Marusko View Post
                      You wouldn't be the first. There are some already, people from the 'west' working in the former Soviet countries as farmers and consultants.
                      I think it could be fun and a challenge to learn the nuances of that area in a Consultant's role. It might get frustrating not having what you think you need to do the best job possible. All at no cost to us...unless it would cost us our lives 😳😳😳😳😳! I bet there is a bit of lawlessness and alot of corruption that would need to be dealt with.

Is it the new old frontier and opportunity for farmers?

I could always just find a better place to farm in Western Canada....like beside SF3. I know, seeing how winning the Outstanding Young Farmer seems to be a kiss of death, I will nominate SF3 as the Outstanding Old Farmer. I'll do it in 2020 as to signify perfect vision....at least that way he will see the Kiss of Death coming. But it will be too late, he will already have been cursed and doomed to failure....his crops will only rate an 11(out of 20). He will have a nervous breakdown and need to be institutionalized...and never be the same.....then I'll buy him out.
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 13, 2018, 20:39.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.