• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peace River region ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace River region ??

How much crop is off from Grand Prarie through the Peace River region??

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    How much crop is off from Grand Prarie through the Peace River region??
    Almost none started, except canola has been swathed.
    Snowing now with 10cm of wet snow forecasted for tonight. Everything should be nice and flat.

Comment

I am screwed.

Comment

My brother-in-law is hauling equipment to a pipeline job near Dawson Creek and he phoned me from Rycroft last night and said the ground was white. Some combining done, but extremely wet lots of rain before the snow. Sprayer ruts full of water and making new ruts with the combines.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
          I am screwed.
          No. You are not screwed.
          Standing Snow Flattened crop dries faster and has better grade than crop in a swath. Plus you have to wait for snow to melt and leave the swaths. Plus geese and deer love swaths.
          Plus it is early. October is for harvesting.
          You will harvest and sell it. Thats your job.

Comment

Ya hopefully October turns ... but right now , not a good feeling looking at this ...
            Peace River area ...

Comment

We are half done peas so close to 15% done harvest. We do not swath anything.

As a farmer friend pointed out we have had significant snow events in September four times since 2004 and those crops all came off eventually, sometimes some of it in spring.

This is a reminder of why, even though the land is very productive in this region, it is subject like all other areas to the vagaries of mother nature and that she can just be a little harsher at these latitudes than maybe other areas.

On the positive side we have well above average yielding crops in the field if we can get them, and my money is on getting them. If not, we have lots of risk management in place. I feel for those who took the full gamble, for if this goes bad there will be lots of pain.

Good luck to all and wishing for sunshine and warm winds soon.

Comment

Too early to throw in the towel yet Makar
                But no doubt that is terrible feeling been there done that. no use bukkshitting you about how good it can turn out either the odds aren't on that favour.

Needs to be way better disaster programs ahould it not work out.

Hang in there focus on preparing what ever you can to be ready the second you hopefully get a chance. Good luck to you!!!

Comment

The debate in the northern half of the Prairies the last 10 days ..

Comment

Rained all night and now starting to snow west of Edmonton. This will be the third year in a row with snow in September before any crop is off. 2016 only got half the crop off and abandoned it in the spring. Last year everything came off but canola at 20% was the driest stuff that came off. Dryer ran steady till Christmas Eve. This year looks the same as last year.

Going out to start swathing canola today. It was so dry seeding this spring that it didn’t germinate till a rain in June. Shouldn’t have to worry about shattering the burnt hilltops at least.

Comment

Best of luck to all of you in that region .... it’s a huge area that’s going to be effected with very little crop off yet. We are in the same boat here although no snow just rain ... so far.
                      Let’s hope that October is very good , it has before but tile will tell .

Comment

If i need to swath my wheat it will be weeks before the ground will carry anything, life is not as rosy as hobby may think, been dealing with this since 1972, never turns out well.

Comment

If your into long range forcasts october is all single digit highs.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                            If your into long range forcasts october is all single digit highs.
                            Good luck makar. It's remarkable how quick it went from mid-summer heat to late fall weather even in this area compared to recent years.

Comment

This hurricane won’t help. Guaranteed 2 weeks after Florence hits before we see decent weather. FML

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.