• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any better than chains?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any better than chains?

Quiter im sure and not so sure about wear?

Common in canada and usa ?

New hereClick image for larger version

Name:	41483964_2490304964320198_3208545139404308480_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	778142

never saw it here's, looks like a good idea if it doesn't slip? I wonder what keeps it straight ? we have one jump a tooth every once in a while and run crooked

Comment

Wow interesting

I found a link, I think

http://www.agripress.nl/_STUDIOEMMA_UPLOADS/downloads/Presentation_silentium_drive_eng.pdf

Comment

I don't think so... can you imagine how easy it would slip or tear in tough conditions. If it was such a good idea why isn't it being used already? Is it a serpentine or cogged belt?

MacDon has a v-belt molded into their canvases as a guide to keep them straight. But using belting on a feeder"belt" of a combine feeder housing seems inadequate....can you imagine what lumpy swaths would do to that thing. Would it ever stop stretching?
        Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 10, 2018, 07:15.

Comment

Inferior solution to a non problem. Chains just work!

Comment

Looks promising to me. I have nothing but trouble with feeder chains in wet or green straw. Yesterday, green stuff must have wrapped around the the drum or drive and derailed one set of feeder chains, then plugged, bent a bunch of bars, lots of fun to unplug when the chains are jammed. They derail regularly in tough conditions. Had the keeper pins wear through and come apart once, tried to run a feeder chain through the combine, that makes a mess.

I really miss MF combines with feeder paddles, or the old Versatiles with the same thing, trouble free.

Comment

If you are having that much trouble with feeder, crop is not fit to combine, stay home don't wreck stuff and your sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                Looks promising to me. I have nothing but trouble with feeder chains in wet or green straw. Yesterday, green stuff must have wrapped around the the drum or drive and derailed one set of feeder chains, then plugged, bent a bunch of bars, lots of fun to unplug when the chains are jammed. They derail regularly in tough conditions. Had the keeper pins wear through and come apart once, tried to run a feeder chain through the combine, that makes a mess.

I really miss MF combines with feeder paddles, or the old Versatiles with the same thing, trouble free.
                I vividly remember cutting flax straw off of those paddles with a chain saw ! don't miss them at all, lol

Comment

Almost certain that would not work here. Not sure about modernized paddles either.

Comment

AlbertaFarmer5 What make is your combine?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      I vividly remember cutting flax straw off of those paddles with a chain saw ! don't miss them at all, lol
                      LOL..Yup. Flax straw a Massey feeder house paddles, not a good combination. I remember timing them different so they weren't at 90 degree angles to each other. Seemed to help a bit. We've even had flax straw wrap around the top feeder chain shaft that the sprockets are on(feeder chain conveyance not paddles).... not fun. BUT we never pulled out the heavy artillery(a chainsaw). Always just used a tile knife(banana knife) and pulled.

Comment

Buckwheat in lentils can be pretty bad too. They become a tough blanket-like mat. Ryobi saber saw to the rescue! But not without lots of bleeding knuckles.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          LOL..Yup. Flax straw a Massey feeder house paddles, not a good combination. I remember timing them different so they weren't at 90 degree angles to each other. Seemed to help a bit. We've even had flax straw wrap around the top feeder chain shaft that the sprockets are on(feeder chain conveyance not paddles).... not fun. BUT we never pulled out the heavy artillery(a chainsaw). Always just used a tile knife(banana knife) and pulled.
                          ah, those were the days ! sure glad they're gone......

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                            AlbertaFarmer5 What make is your combine?
                            I run 8460 MF's, which are a Claas painted red. have two separate pairs of feeder chains.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                              If you are having that much trouble with feeder, crop is not fit to combine, stay home don't wreck stuff and your sanity.
                              Crop is not fit to combine, except for 3 years in a row, possibly looking like 4, waiting for the crop to be fit for combining would mean waiting until next June. So my policy is if it will go through the combine by any means possible, it goes.

Which is one of the reasons why I run older machines which are nearly free. 2 years ago when I was combining wheat in December and getting significant snow/ice, I was told that it wasn't worth wrecking the combine for, my response was that for what I paid for the combine, I could replace with the gross from every 5 acres of wheat, and continued on.

If you saw our forecast you might agree. It is much less exciting combining tough grain/straw that is half way standing vs. after it is snowed on.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.