• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late spring

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late spring

When does everyone start changing their seeding plans? Is it too early now? We already have started making some adjustments.

-11C tonight in Regina. Record low is -15C. Water well at farm still frozen. Flurries predicted for next week with only moderate warming.

Still early to say but there is a lot of frozen ground that will need to warm up and that takes time. Seeds don’t like cold ground in the gumbo

Thinking of canceling my chickpea seed. It’s such a high risk crop to begin with, yes things can turn around. The ground is still froze day time temps are no where near normal I’m sure changes will take place. The side hills still have a good foot of snow, where it has melted there’s water laying, once the ground thaws it will go right in as we were very dry last year.

Comment

Ground froze here as well ..... under a full blanket of snow Corner to corner.
      For sure going to be a bit later .
      2013 was worse here . Still got er in and off.

Comment

I know, I was hoping for a slow thaw but I didn't think it would be this slow. I guess I need to be careful what I ask for, I just might get it. Us guys in the dry areas better be greatful its not been too warm and dry for the last three weeks. What's worse, dried out or a snow cover and cool? Under the soil moisture conditions on our farm, I'll take the latter!

Cold ground will/could be an issue. In the real dry areas, is the ground even "frozen"? I don't recall seeing a spring like this, maybe ever.

Our saving grace is we are not "big" farmers and have an abundance of seed drill capacity. But we never know what Mother Nature has up her sleeve.

Comment

It's not just here, from Twitter
          The delays in spring barley sowing are getting serious. As at 13/04, spring barley was sown at 268 THa, 963 THa below last year. There are the most serious delays in Central Russia. Just 7 THa vs 702 THa.

Comment

Yes, Russia is Behind in Sowing Barley. Most countries in the Northern Hemisphere are in the same boat.
            Our useless idiots keep saying oh it's early and don't worry.

Always interesting to see, No problem here keep moving, nothing to see attitude.

Minnesota still has snow so how much seeding is going to happen.

Someone at the sale yesterday said the frost is down about 4 to 5 ft.

May 7th to 10.

Comment

furrow we have at least twice the snow pack of northbattleford .esp . my place
              1 ft.- 1 1/2 on the level .drove thru 6-8 inches wet drifting snow on road last night,
              2 ft. drifts.
              could get interesting , real fast, with a plus 15 someday, equipment is dug out.
              about all we can do for now.

Comment

Greasing and prepping via a ladder instead of sliding on the ground isn't that awful but I'm thinking no earlier than a May 7 start more snow for this late without it being new spring storm snow than we've ever had. And with 2 moisture events in this mornings forecast the May 7 is being very optimistic. I'd say long term average start date here is about a May 3rd so at least a week later than normal. At least calving has been just pure hell may make seeding even better. Noticed the sold on a whole bunch of used drills starting to show up in the latest farm paper. So those with the manpower are adding iron.

This is inside the shed where the drill is.
                Last edited by mcfarms; Apr 14, 2018, 07:23.

Comment

And this is outside in the pasture 2 days ago where we're dozing trying to get more ground available for pairs.

Comment

Good place for the drill mcfarms, I wish. For what they cost, best under a roof.

👌👍👌👍👌👍👌👍👌👍👌👍

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                      furrow we have at least twice the snow pack of northbattleford .esp . my place
                      1 ft.- 1 1/2 on the level .drove thru 6-8 inches wet drifting snow on road last night,
                      2 ft. drifts.
                      could get interesting , real fast, with a plus 15 someday, equipment is dug out.
                      about all we can do for now.
                      Yes I hear a lot more out west .
                      We have considerable more than the immediate area around town but not as much as out west .
                      More to the north east but that is normal .

Very deep hard frost is a concern the longer we stayed covered.
                      2013 did not have nearly the deep frost .

Comment

Faba beans out. Just too late. Not sure what to replace them with. Feed barley? Bwahahaha!

Comment

We have enough snow that a 8220 John Deere will get stuck with 4wd on gets stuck either a bale on the loader.

As far as frost, undesturbed ground it's almost 5 feet down... Takes work to get thru it with a hoe.

Comment

May long weekend start here east of Edmonton like last year. Found that June 1-10 seeded canola made it so long as it did not flood out after seeding. That is where the green seed was last year. I had high protein feed wheat last year due to frost damage but the main problem was stress in mid June setting back the crop as a 2 inch on saturated ground set the late crop back. Amazing how spring like Edmonton is compared to this local area. Considering feed barley over wheat but wheat stand up to super saturated conditions somewhat better. Ground underneath snow pack is not as wet this spring as last.
                            Last edited by ajl; Apr 14, 2018, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                              We have enough snow that a 8220 John Deere will get stuck with 4wd on gets stuck either a bale on the loader.

As far as frost, undesturbed ground it's almost 5 feet down... Takes work to get thru it with a hoe.
                              Under snow, or bare ground?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.