• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22 lives are not worth rumble strips...really

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22 lives are not worth rumble strips...really

Why can't the department of highways spend a little money to install the appropriate safety measures that might help save lives.

What would half a kilometre of adequate thickness pavement cost to install?

Sure I get you have to stop at a stop sign but in unknown territory this can happen...

Only if you are asleep or do not intend to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
      Only if you are asleep or do not intend to stop.
      I've driven a lot of unknown territory all over western NA. Signs mean something. Its incumbent upon you to look for them and obey them.

Stop signs aren't enough, so they put red blinking lights on them. That doesn't seem to be enough so they put rumble strips ahead of them. When that fails they put piercing white strobes on them. When that fails they put speed restrictions on through traffic. When that fails they put 4 way stops in. When that fails, they put traffic lights in with advanced warnings. And when that fails they put clover leafs in. And even after that some dumbass will still kill someone merging...

Comment

Agreed bucket.
        Why not embrace the concept of 2nd or 3rd level safety redundancy. Clearly the larger stop sign, flashing red light, stop ahead sign were not adequate to prevent this horrible collision. Rumble strips maybe shouldn’t be necessary but why not install them if there is a chance they prevent another crash. Similarly, maybe the trees are not impeding the line of sight when at the stop sign, but if the abscence of trees could possible contribute even 10% to a safer intersection, get rid of them. If the yard owner doesn’t, highways or the RM should.
        The only good that can possibly come from this horrible tragedy is that everything is done to lessen the likelihood of another occurrence-at that location and others with similar potential.

Comment

15 or 20 years ago, roundabouts were as scarce as hen's teeth around here. Now they are everywhere.

They are remarkably effective at keeping traffic moving. And while there are still screw-ups and fender benders in them, there are very few fatalities or even serious injuries as a result.

I like that idea a lot better than those offset intersections mentioned in the other thread. They just seem like way to create a different kind of hazard.

The intersection of 35 and 335 seems like the ideal place to install one.

Comment

I think you are on to something Burnt.

Comment

Do you think that autonomous self-breaking vehicles will lessen the chance of these intersection collisions?

I wonder how many people would have survived if there were air bags in the bus, maybe some restrain bars on sides and across front. Those kids were just 200 lb projectiles in a tin can. I came upon an accident where the young girl was deceased. There was not a scratch on her, she just wasn’t wearing a seat belt and even though the damage to the vehicle was minimal, she hit her head on the passenger side window or something hard.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                15 or 20 years ago, roundabouts were as scarce as hen's teeth around here. Now they are everywhere.

They are remarkably effective at keeping traffic moving. And while there are still screw-ups and fender benders in them, there are very few fatalities or even serious injuries as a result.

I like that idea a lot better than those offset intersections mentioned in the other thread. They just seem like way to create a different kind of hazard.

The intersection of 35 and 335 seems like the ideal place to install one.
                Agree Burnt!

Comment

yes after this terrible accident re; Humboldt every body knows ! if he had stopt and obey the stop sign and warning lite ! to give the Bus who had the right to go no live would have been lost !
                  simple as that ! it does not take months to figure that out RCMP!
                  Dit the RCMP TAKE TEST FOR ALCOHOL AND DRUGS OF COURSE LAW OF THE LAND !
                  why no name of truck driver mention ! did he have no; 1 and experience to haul that big of aload

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                    Agree Burnt!
                    Trouble I see, is sask would need about 17 million of those things?

Comment

Just more gossip perhaps, heard this driver was LOST in Carrot River even got STUCK in a farm yard near there. Also trailer had NO BRAKES....wait to hear if true. RCMP certainly better have a blood sample!

Comment

There is a similar intersection in S AB the junction of 519 and Hwy 23 where they have installed a traffic circle now as there still was incidents of failing to stop after a stop sign with flashing lights (red and blue) with rumble strips.

Comment

They have photo radar for speed, why not stop sign/light cameras at very important intersections. You would think with today's technology with motion sensors, radar and digital technology it wouldn't be too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            They have photo radar for speed, why not stop sign/light cameras at very important intersections. You would think with today's technology with motion sensors, radar and digital technology it wouldn't be too hard.
                            And how does that stop somebody from running the light/sign?

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
                              And how does that stop somebody from running the light/sign?
                              Thanks for reminding me, I forgot the penalty part.... A massive fine. I know it's not a brick wall to stop people from going through but if it was a $500 fine, or more, people might pause to think.

So we are going to redesign all intersections because some morons are morons?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.