• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$22 Trillion and accelerating . . . .

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$22 Trillion and accelerating . . . .

U.S. public debt hit $22 trillion yesterday. Government spending continues to accelerate rapidly.

A mind-boggling fact: Yearly service charges (interest costs) on this debt pile now nearly as large as entire annual cost of the U.S. military.

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
    U.S. public debt hit $22 trillion yesterday. Government spending continues to accelerate rapidly.

A mind-boggling fact: Yearly service charges (interest costs) on this debt pile now nearly as large as entire annual cost of the U.S. military.
    Errol the tax cuts that happened are supposed to generate more activity which is supposed to more than compensate for the cuts. How long will it be before we see that or should we have seen that already. There is all kinds of arguments here that the tax cuts were good and bad depending on political views more than fact. I know the trade deals etc muddy the water as to what is doing more good or damage to the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post

Oh, don't worry Errol, Republicans, (ike Conservatives) have always opposed government debt and called for balanced budgets. I sure they will do so again the next time they lose office. And as far as interest and service charges exceeding military spending, I have no doubt the current government can increase military spending again to ensure it continues to be the most prominent spend of the government.

Comment

I did a quick look on the internet and It looks like the USA has a higher total public debt to GDP ratio than Canada.

The OECD projection says Canada's % of public debt to GDP will be 92.6% in 2019 falling to 92.1% in 2020.

The OECD projection says the USA's % of public debt to GDP will be 109.9% in 2019 rising to 113.3% in 2020.

Both have similar debt ratings although Standard and Poors is AAA for Canada and AA+ for the USA.

Comment

Just watching this on tv now.

Basically it’s about building back the military. China and Russia are back and the USA doesn’t want to be left behind.

It’s a lot yes

Comment

Trump raised the GDP by a full percentage point which should more than offset the increase in debt. Its not a worry yet.

Comment

Canada's GDP growth is lower than the US primarily because of lower world prices for energy resources.

Canada has a lower debt to GDP ratio than the US and Canada's is falling.

It seems that when the US increases its debt it is not so much a problem for the Canadian fiscal conservatives and US Republicans.

But when the Liberals run up the debt they are accused of being big spenders and bad managers. Why the difference?

Comment

Pissing away money on useless shit like buying a pipeline just to shit it down.

Or the green movement that’s insanely costly.

Or giving billions to the world and our own starve.

Liberals are a disease chuck but nice solar panel that probably was subsidized

Comment

SF3, you are always so thoughtful and careful with your words! Too much sun? LMAO

Comment

I guess I was raised with the idea that debt was a bad thing and public debt was the worst. Stealing from your children and grand children for your lifestyle today.

The Liberal's first Trudeau really got Canada's debt ramped up. Mulroney wasn't able to pull it down much but he got the GST in which Chretien and Martin used to cut running up more debt. Harper came next and he tried to keep a lid on debt. Next came the second Trudeau and he is fast and loose with public spending just like the first Trudeau.

Canada's debt isn't really a party thing. Its a TRUDEAU thing and they just happen to be in the Liberal Party Of Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                      I guess I was raised with the idea that debt was a bad thing and public debt was the worst.
                      Stealing from your children and grand children for your lifestyle today.
                      The Liberal's first Trudeau really got Canada's debt ramped up. Mulroney wasn't able to pull it down much but he got the GST in which Chretien and Martin used to cut running up more debt. Harper came next and he tried to keep a lid on debt. Next came the second Trudeau and he is fast and loose with public spending just like the first Trudeau.

Canada's debt isn't really a party thing. Its a TRUDEAU thing and they just happen to be in the Liberal Party Of Canada.
                      "stealing from your children and grandchildren for your lifestyle today" is the definition of a liberal

Comment

Not spending on our military helps I guess. (tic)

Comment

Not all GDP are the same. Canadas is made up more of commodities and real estate speculation and govt handouts. The US GDP is much more manufacturing based so it has a better quality GDP that we do.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Not all GDP are the same. Canadas is made up more of commodities and real estate speculation and govt handouts. The US GDP is much more manufacturing based so it has a better quality GDP that we do.
                            Forgot to mention tax audits. Yes I am aware that the IRS does them too but they do not make as big a component of GDP in the US as Canuckistan.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                              ..... Harper came next and he tried to keep a lid on debt. Next came the second Trudeau and he is fast and loose with public spending just like the first Trudeau.

More of your fake news. A reminder of the figures posted by dmlfarmer on another thread:

From 2009 to 2011 Canada's debt increased by 88 billion
                              From 2010 to 2012 Canada's debt increased by 64 billion
                              From 2011 to 2013 Canada's debt increased by 58 billion

You're outraged by Trudeau increasing debt by 58 billion in 2 years but Harper equalled that once and did worse in two other 2 year periods - yet he "tried to keep a lid on debt" ....suuuure!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.