• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday end of the Week Wrap up on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaver almost have as much value as bear bait. Musk has a market somewhere too I think.
    Last year rats were $4 I think.
    Got to be serious about it to make that go.

Comment

Last time I checked here in alta only regestered trappers could use snares,resedent t****rs cant,if you have dogs how do you keep them out of snares,the daughter has sheep and 2 dogs but they travel quite a bit,then there is the neibors dogs sure would feel shitty catching someones dog.
      One fellow here shoots over 125 every yr thats his target to aim for but usualy goes over that. Thank god for those kind of people and the hunters shooting deer or we would be overrun by them.
      I sold 8 last yr and avg $110 top was 169 not bad for recreation and keeping them out of sheep .

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        Muskrats got any hope for better prices?

Beaver? A lot of work for 20 bucks...
        Beaver are a pile of work, no kidding. From catching them right up to stretching them it is not a good wage if you get 20 or under. The tails in many rms, and the castor at 100 bucks a lb, are worth far more than the work in skinning and fleshing those bad boys. Muskrats they say are supposed to remain stable ish. So 4 bucks or thereabouts.

Comment

Yeah never mentioned that. You want to put snares where dogs don’t travel. We have a block of land that is untouched and has no dogs for miles. In fact, if you snare within a mile of any yard, those ppl HAVE to be told you are snaring. If I ever catch a dog, and I hope I never do, it would be a bizarre situation considering where I snare. No dog has any business being in that area...

Comment

The crazy thing in the news this week was... The price of food is going up and its all because of climate change!!! Its to hot and to dry and to cold and to wet so its hard for farmers to get decent crops.

With the price of all crops depressed it must be from over supply so how does any of this make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
              Yeah never mentioned that. You want to put snares where dogs don’t travel. We have a block of land that is untouched and has no dogs for miles. In fact, if you snare within a mile of any yard, those ppl HAVE to be told you are snaring. If I ever catch a dog, and I hope I never do, it would be a bizarre situation considering where I snare. No dog has any business being in that area...
              Tame dogs don't fight the snare and sit. Trick is to check them regularly.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1EE6BDC5-F125-483F-AD75-D5555B952C93.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	769180

Trained him to watch the dryer. Hahahahha

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  Tame dogs don't fight the snare and sit. Trick is to check them regularly.
                  Problem in sask is we have to use power rams. Ain’t no mercy with them...

Comment

Sheepwheat the 900 coyote guy you’re mentioning is probably the guy who traps on on our place. Usually he pulls 150-200 coyotes and a wolf or two just from our place and he has a lot more ground west of us that he covers too. He always brings rum and fish he catches to us but I tell him it should be the other way. No power snares required here and any dogs he catches I don’t ask about since they shouldn’t be there causing trouble anyways.

Had a lynx pass through the yard last week and the dog treed him for a while till he buggered off. He better not come back as I don’t like having that kind of wildlife around with the little kids.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	89BFAF09-1D4A-4862-97D6-F524E83A1C46.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	769181

Back in the Barley delivery mode.

Comment

We had a lot of coyotes prior to the provincial cull, and now the numbers are slowly rising again.
                        No need for catching mice as we have hundreds of hawks spring to fall, and 10-15 years ago ravens moved into the area as well, getting there share of mice too.
                        Probably too open here to have the coyote numbers you're talking about, but 1 coyote is 1 too many.

Comment

Our area every one just shoots coyotes. Still a bit of problem but getting better. They have no fear

Listened to the canola council head guy it’s all rah rah for middle man and oh farmers get use to 2.37 a bushel discounts.

We love you keep producing mega amounts.

Same day bobo our ag minister announces the money if flowing to (Quebec) dairy farmers and new money on way to egg and poultry farms with market share loss. We will also discuss risk management.

Canola farmers hurt by Trudeau government peep peep nothing for you.

Comment

Sheepwheat, apart from the income potential of catching coyotes do you not not believe in the theory of leaving the ones that live with your sheep alone? My neighbour does - they have a pair of LGDs that keep the coyotes at bay. Their thinking is if you kill those one more will inevitably move in and possibly will be more trouble to the sheep being unfamiliar with them. If you have some that behave reasonably it's almost like an outer ring of protection beyond you LGDs as new coyotes don't tend to come in and drive existing ones out of their territory.

Comment

I have heard that if you take the dominant male and female out ....the remainder coyotes reproduce like crazy....

Comment

“But this all reminds me of the 1980s without high interest or the 1990s when Canadian farmers were told to suck it up buttercup we cant go head to head against the European or USA farmers, You're on your own. “

So we don’t have high interest rates in 2019....big deal!

FACTS:

1980 land price= $125,000/quarter. Interest rate 18% = $22,500.00 cost of carry

2019 land price= $350,000/quarter. Interest rate 6.5% = $22,750 cost of carry.

1980 wheat : $5.00 per bushel

2019 wheat: $5.00 per bushel

Nominally.... what is the difference....play with the numbers if you want but it feels like the 1980’s all over again to me.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.