• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class 1 Driver's Lic

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class 1 Driver's Lic

So the AB licensing rules are changing. Gonna have to take 125 hours of government training prior to taking test. No exemption for farmers like Saskatchewan is getting. Governments response was there are not very many farmers affected cause most farm vehicles only require a class 3. Percentage wise they may be right when they count all pickups etc in the total. I would bet better than half of the farms out there have a class 1 rig of some nature.

I called early January to book a test for myself before March 1 but the majority of the examiners quit testing in protest of the government changes, most of the remaining examiners are on retraining for new rules and are unable to book road tests before the deadline.

The pulse growers and a couple other groups released a statement against the changes (more a delay)

Anybody else worried about this? Lots on here were quick to call for more regulation after the Humbolt crash but going forward its gonna make finding seasonal help quite a bit harder. Class 1 operator may become a hot commodity.

Can there ever be too much road safety? Getting a 1A license is even more of a PRIVILEGE than a lowly class 5, and it better be earned not granted....proven you are capable of operating and understanding such a vehicle.

The irresponsible actions of afew will make it harder for other legitimate people to qualify for a 1A...which may not be too bad of an idea.

I am not sure if certain Nationalities operate on the same set of values morals and beliefs as Canadians. Training schools operated by them... testing the new drivers by themselves....safetying their own trucks ...this isn't driver training and testing for one nationality only....

What passes for standard procedure in other parts of the world doesn't necessarily happen the world over....some places hold their own to higher standards and beating regulation isn't, and shouldn't, be seen as a victory!

Edited in "and understanding"
    Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 8, 2019, 19:59.

Comment

Why did this become a class 1 driver issue?

Last I checked, the rules of the road are the same for every class of license, and the recent high profile accident(s) involved failing to follow very basic rules of the road.

Nothing to do with anything specific to a truck/trailer with air brakes, or mechanical issues, etc.

Comment

Class 1 vehicles aren't SmartCars either are they.

Comment

All of us have to pay for a mistake that not even a Canadian citizen caused.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            Class 1 vehicles aren't SmartCars either are they.
            No, but a combination of an F-350 with a deck and quads, plus a 5th wheel toy hauler/ travel trailer loaded right up can easily weigh more than many trucks which require a class 1. And likely has poorer braking ability.

One of my hay buyers takes ~ 25,000 lbs of hay per trip behind an F550 but only needs a class 5 license.

Comment

Did this guy even have a drivers licence before he came to Canada? Any country I have been in stop signs only mean stop in Canada and USA everywhere else they are ignored. I had a immigrant cab driver in Saskatoon and he wouldn’t stop for red lights.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                No, but a combination of an F-350 with a deck and quads, plus a 5th wheel toy hauler/ travel trailer loaded right up can easily weigh more than many trucks which require a class 1. And likely has poorer braking ability.

One of my hay buyers takes ~ 25,000 lbs of hay per trip behind an F550 but only needs a class 5 license.
                There is a endorsement required in Sask fo anything over 10,000 lbs,

"Some travel and utility trailers have increased in size to a point where they qualify as Class 1 units. To pull a heavy trailer (utility and recreation) weighing more than 4,600 kg (10,000 lb.), including the load, you need a Class 1 licence or a heavy trailer G endorsement on a Class 2, 3, 4 or 5 licence. The heavy trailer G endorsement allows you to drive two-axle trucks towing heavy trailers (but not power units)."

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  Why did this become a class 1 driver issue?

Last I checked, the rules of the road are the same for every class of license, and the recent high profile accident(s) involved failing to follow very basic rules of the road.

Nothing to do with anything specific to a truck/trailer with air brakes, or mechanical issues, etc.
                  Because when your driving a class one unit and make a mistake the other people always pay the price.
                  Also it takes a hell of a lot more skill to drive a semi than a car even if you know rhe rules you still have to know how to brake properly etc.
                  The industry particularly governments rhatnlet this go on this long really are to blame for that accident. Many truckers would agree they see who's driving and the lack of skill worries rhe best of veteran drivers.

Comment

Wasn't there a time when Class 1A drivers were called professional drivers? And I bet there are still many who are and proud of that designation. Earned.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Wasn't there a time when Class 1A drivers were called professional drivers? And I bet there are still many who are and proud of that designation. Earned.
                      You are of course aware of the cost that will be involved in getting a class 1 in Alberta after March 1. I have been told around $8000. Seems excessive to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                        You are of course aware of the cost that will be involved in getting a class 1 in Alberta after March 1. I have been told around $8000. Seems excessive to me!
                        Hamloc, I understand your concern but the cheap rubber stamp was no good either. Maybe there could be assessments of "beginning" drivers ability, or partially trained people's ability or people who need little training, then course time and costs adjusted to their needs.

Since Provinces license drivers, maybe everything from the training to testing should be conducted by the province, I think there can't be any chances or opportunities to cheat the system. No private schools/training or testing.

Also, what does any other course cost. I REALIZE this isn't a semester's worth of time required, but there are costs to personal education/skill development.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                          That depends
                          If your getting a license to work full time in the patch or elsewhere that's a small amount it pay with relatively little time invested also compared to jobs rhat pay the same where kids go to school for 2 years minimum.

If your a farmer hat needs to drive your old semi spring and fall yes that's expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                            Because when your driving a class one unit and make a mistake the other people always pay the price.
                            Also it takes a hell of a lot more skill to drive a semi than a car even if you know rhe rules you still have to know how to brake properly etc.
                            The industry particularly governments rhatnlet this go on this long really are to blame for that accident. Many truckers would agree they see who's driving and the lack of skill worries rhe best of veteran drivers.
                            While I agree that a semi and car are a loosing combination,I dont believe more traning is the answer as you cant fix stupid or arogance . What I do believe is the department of highways are to blame for letting those trees block the line of sight,I dont think that accidedent would have happened if the bus driver could have seen the oncoming truck.
                            Did you notice every picture of the site neglects to show the whole intersection with trees,seems like someone is being protected. Mabey some of you who has driven that highway can correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                              While I agree that a semi and car are a loosing combination,I dont believe more traning is the answer as you cant fix stupid or arogance . What I do believe is the department of highways are to blame for letting those trees block the line of sight,I dont think that accidedent would have happened if the bus driver could have seen the oncoming truck.
                              Did you notice every picture of the site neglects to show the whole intersection with trees,seems like someone is being protected. Mabey some of you who has driven that highway can correct me.
                              I agree with that whole heartedly!!
                              The bus driver who was qualified and driving safely had no chance to defensive drive because of those trees. It still was the other guys fault but I don't care about who's fault the driver would have swerved or even stopped in time without those trees.
                              The problem is also the lack of credibility in testing. I don't think you can put a time limit on when a person is ready some people can train for a decade and still not be a good driver. I think anyway.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.