• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 2017 Canola Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
    How did the 75-65 compare in yield?

Was thinking this and 74-44 would be two good DeKalb varieties.
    Personally I think 75-65 is a powerful variety. With limited moisture it surprised me, did way better than the 74-44. Infact the 75-65 did a bit better than the 252.
    74-44 is a dinosaur, been around forever. It seems like it does well in northern growing areas.
    If you still want to swath I would grow 252. But consider 75-65 as a straight cut if you want a RR.

Comment

The 75-65 we had in was less than stellar ....

Granted it was seeded later and did have some frost damage , but does it always look like skittles ?
      Got close to dry on Monday so we took it off but the green stayed anywhere from 15-20% .
      Maybe under normal conditions it performs better .
      It seems like it can't handle fall frost very well .
      Maybe it was just our bad luck ......

Comment

I would like to know how 75-65 performed where there was lots of moisture? Also how it harvested?

Comment

BTW the sample looked exactly the same from the swath or from standing . So it was not a case of swathing too early .
          There was anouther field NW of here seeded same day that apparently was good . Probably never froze like we did in early September, but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

Granted it was seeded later and did have some frost damage , but does it always look like skittles ?
            Got close to dry on Monday so we took it off but the green stayed anywhere from 15-20% .
            Had 7545 that looked like that too and seeded a bit earlier and swathed when colour was changing. 7444 black as night. Neighbour had 7565 besides me and it was great but later. Surprisingly the best yield was the worst looking crusted flea beetle eaten 1022 nexerra. Had good season here albeit late. Enough crop out still but most are done or close.

Comment

Sorry , was typo ,it was 75-45 not 75-65 .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

We had 74-44 that looked like that about 5-6 years ago. At first I was told it was swathed too early, but we left half of it to straightcut and it was exactly the same. Then they said it was frost, but there was little to no frost and no other variety had the same issues. And it wasn't just us it was every neighbour who grew the same variety, about a half dozen of us if I remember correctly.

I never did figure out a cause. We grew it in years prior with great success. I think it must be something in the genetics that just randomly appears under unknown circumstances. I must say Dekalb did make it right to my satisfaction.
                Last edited by Wheatking; Oct 22, 2017, 15:26. Reason: spelling

Comment

Interesting Wheatking , the same thing happened in this area a few years ago and Dekalb did stand behind the issue .
                  I think it was a case of bad luck on our part somewhat, seeded June 12 th , then no rain till July 21st . It all germinated very well but then just sat there for two weeks as it ran out of moisture. Only a few low spots kept growing . But they were still the same sample when we combined .
                  Anyway , it's off , got it before the high winds .
                  Was just curious if anyone had ever seen that before . I have seen later seeded frozen canola over my years but nothing like that.

Comment

My 7315 resembled that but no green. Yielded fine. It got stuck in the back of the shed for more then a year before it made it in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      The only true straight cut varieties are L233P and L140P

Everything else is marketing bullshit.

We straight cut every acre and all the other varieties shatter from mechanical damage or wind if they are ripe.

I purposely left 2 acres of L233 out in that retarded wind. Not a pod dropped or shattered. It actually stood up better than the wheat we had left.
                      After growing L140P this year for the first time, I can't imagine growing anything but P varieties in the future. Truly a game changer for our farm.

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
                        My 7315 resembled that but no green. Yielded fine. It got stuck in the back of the shed for more then a year before it made it in the ground.
                        7315 and 7545 must be similar parents. Grown both lots and skittles is common. No problem with green count though.

Comment

Bigzee, "I would like to know how 75-65 performed where there was lots of moisture? Also how it harvested?"

We had 2 quarters of 75-65 in 2016. Abundant moisture,,, grow taller than I would like,,, appropriate swath height would have left field stubble difficult to plant into the following year.
                          As it turned out, stand leaned,,,small storm while crop maturing turned a leaning crop into a lodged crop,,,no shatter or seed loss,,,ended up straight cutting about 6" off the ground,,,had to put all that straw through the combine,,,yield was great,,,combing went very slow,,,nice black sample. Didn't order that variety in 2017. Might be suited better to normal moisture. JustMyOpinion

Comment

How are the nexera varieties?
                            Trying the new 1026 for next yr.
                            Going with bunge contract.
                            1.63 premium. Picked up.
                            Won this through Dow summer booster at AG in motion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.