• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What crop, what high fuel prices, etc
    This is what it’s all about.

Chillin at the lake in the gazebo I built.

Comment

Things are looking up around here, a couple of weeks of heat, without any rain has done wonders for my state of mind. Canola on The High ground is finally in full flower. Lower spots that survived are green and bolting and way behind but at least better than looking at tiny little purple plants. If nothing else, the flowering plants hide all the drown outs and the thin spotty and patchy stands. Common theme seems to be that canola is 3 weeks behind where it should be right now. This in an area where we don't even get enough growing season to mature canola if all goes well. So we will need a miracle the rest of the growing season and this fall to pull this oneHad troubles with the first flower buds just turning white and aborting, especially in the high stressed areas. But they seem to be getting over that. Just lost a few more days that we don't have. Compaction is showing up really obviously thanks to the excess moisture.
      The wheat has been enjoying the weather excess rain right from day one, and even the low spots are greening up and will amount to something if they don't freeze.
      Have two quarters of barley on well drained ground, which looks very good, just heading now. and it is probably ready for a rain soon.
      The barley on poorly drained clay soil which has been shades of yellow and white since seating appears to be trying to amount to something now. I don't recall ever seeing crops recover after being waterlogged for over a month like they are this year. Not sure what to attribute to that to. Usually a week of saturated ground and it's game over.
      Not as many peas in the area as I thought there would be given the price of fertilizer. But the peas I have seen look exceptional. Somehow they never suffered from the foot of rain. No sign of root rot at least from a distance.

Further afield, in recent days I've been as far north as edmonton, as far south as Calgary as far east as drumheller, and as far west as you can go. Most places the cereals look tremendous. With the exception of the areas that are just way too wet. I would say that the areas that are benefiting from the excess moisture far outweigh those of us who are suffering from it. Crop lifters and pick up reels will be a necessity.
      Canola on the other hand has some real disasters. I did see some good solid stands closer to calgary. In all of my travels, there were hardly any good solid consistent stands not plagued with drownouts and bald spots and and multiple stages and late. Some are quite obviously seed issues, although they appear to be going to make the crop in the end, just very late and thin. Excess water and three beetles have really taken their toll. At this point I would guess that west of Red Deer, canola will yield less than last year's drought. East will be better, but I don't see any records being broken with all of the problem areas within. It is an amazingly resilient crop, so I may yet be surprised.
      There has been even more big very devastating hail storms throughout Central alberta. Far more than usual according to those in the know.

I see a lot of tremendous looking hay crops, especially in those areas who don't normally grow tremendous hay crops. Locally a lot of people are complaining that the older hay crops are very poor, just too cold and dry earlier this spring. With all of the herd liquidation recently, I'd say there will be a lot more hay than there is cows to eat it locally at least.
      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jul 28, 2022, 22:06.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        Things are looking up around here, a couple of weeks of heat, without any rain has done wonders for my state of mind. Canola on The High ground is finally in full flower. Lower spots that survived are green and bolting and way behind but at least better than looking at tiny little purple plants. If nothing else, the flowering plants hide all the drown outs and the thin spotty and patchy stands. Common theme seems to be that canola is 3 weeks behind where it should be right now. This in an area where we don't even get enough growing season to mature canola if all goes well. So we will need a miracle the rest of the growing season and this fall to pull this oneHad troubles with the first flower buds just turning white and aborting, especially in the high stressed areas. But they seem to be getting over that. Just lost a few more days that we don't have. Compaction is showing up really obviously thanks to the excess moisture.
        The wheat has been enjoying the weather excess rain right from day one, and even the low spots are greening up and will amount to something if they don't freeze.
        Have two quarters of barley on well drained ground, which looks very good, just heading now. and it is probably ready for a rain soon.
        The barley on poorly drained clay soil which has been shades of yellow and white since seating appears to be trying to amount to something now. I don't recall ever seeing crops recover after being waterlogged for over a month like they are this year. Not sure what to attribute to that to. Usually a week of saturated ground and it's game over.
        Not as many peas in the area as I thought there would be given the price of fertilizer. But the peas I have seen look exceptional. Somehow they never suffered from the foot of rain. No sign of root rot at least from a distance.

Further afield, in recent days I've been as far north as edmonton, as far south as Calgary as far east as drumheller, and as far west as you can go. Most places the cereals look tremendous. With the exception of the areas that are just way too wet. I would say that the areas that are benefiting from the excess moisture far outweigh those of us who are suffering from it. Crop lifters and pick up reels will be a necessity.
        Canola on the other hand has some real disasters. I did see some good solid stands closer to calgary. In all of my travels, there were hardly any good solid consistent stands not plagued with drownouts and bald spots and and multiple stages and late. Some are quite obviously seed issues, although they appear to be going to make the crop in the end, just very late and thin. Excess water and three beetles have really taken their toll. At this point I would guess that west of Red Deer, canola will yield less than last year's drought. East will be better, but I don't see any records being broken with all of the problem areas within. It is an amazingly resilient crop, so I may yet be surprised.
        There has been even more big very devastating hail storms throughout Central alberta. Far more than usual according to those in the know.

I see a lot of tremendous looking hay crops, especially in those areas who don't normally grow tremendous hay crops. Locally a lot of people are complaining that the older hay crops are very poor, just too cold and dry earlier this spring. With all of the herd liquidation recently, I'd say there will be a lot more hay than there is cows to eat it locally at least.
        I disagree. Bred cow dispersal s last winter we’re far fewer than anticipated, standing silage cereal, very high priced, one farm going to 1000 cows makes up for a lot of 40 cow farms Quiting. Looks like a balanced year no feed surplus

Comment

Originally posted by Ab7 View Post
          I disagree. Bred cow dispersal s last winter we’re far fewer than anticipated, standing silage cereal, very high priced, one farm going to 1000 cows makes up for a lot of 40 cow farms Quiting. Looks like a balanced year no feed surplus
          Thank you for the good news. What kind of hay prices have you been hearing? The cattle guys are certainly due for a break on Hay prices.

Comment

Cow guys need a break or they will be broke, just got the RM taxes and for some reason the taxes went up 17 percent, along with hail and grasshoppers that ate up a good hay crop and made it a sad hay crop I’m not sure how many percentages a guy can give away. I’m not sure what hay is worth this year but last year I was hearing 200 bucks a bale, well 5 bales per cow at 200 is a thousand bucks and the average calf price was probably $1100, nobody wants to pay for heifers so I have a few years worth but I can’t keep them forever.

Comment

One crop I neglected to mention, is faba beans. Wow do they ever like all this moisture. Must be 4 ft tall solid and lush and not a drown out anywhere to be seen.

More acres then I remember seeing ever before as well.

I should have grown all fava beans instead of canola the way things look today.

Does it make good silage? It would sure make a lot of tons.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                One crop I neglected to mention, is faba beans. Wow do they ever like all this moisture. Must be 4 ft tall solid and lush and not a drown out anywhere to be seen.

More acres then I remember seeing ever before as well.

I should have grown all fava beans instead of canola the way things look today.

Does it make good silage? It would sure make a lot of tons.
                If it rains…when it doesn’t, the shine comes off of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                  just chilling in rural london ontario.
                  You could 'chill' in this...

This $170,000! Flying Car just got FAA approval!

Dana Givens
                  Fri, July 29, 2022, 3:30 PM

A Ferrari-red flying car is could soon become every commuter’s dream come true: It would fly over miles of gridlock to work, land and then drive a mile or two to their parking spaces.

Samson Air’s Switchblade, which has been 14 years in the making, is now ready for its next series of tests. Previously, we reported the Oregon-built vehicle was gearing up for road tests. On July 15, the Federal Aviation Administration determined it was safe for flight, so the flying car could be weeks away from going to market."

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                    You could 'chill' in this...

This $170,000! Flying Car just got FAA approval!

Dana Givens
                    Fri, July 29, 2022, 3:30 PM

A Ferrari-red flying car is could soon become every commuter’s dream come true: It would fly over miles of gridlock to work, land and then drive a mile or two to their parking spaces.

Samson Air’s Switchblade, which has been 14 years in the making, is now ready for its next series of tests. Previously, we reported the Oregon-built vehicle was gearing up for road tests. On July 15, the Federal Aviation Administration determined it was safe for flight, so the flying car could be weeks away from going to market."

Comment

There are many advantages to owning your own Switchblade. You decide how and when YOU want to travel

Comment

Comment

I remember in the sixties Popular Mechanics was highlighting an American-built (also red) flying car much like this one. They were taking deposits and going into production but it didn’t seem to take off.

Comment

that would be neat and affordable

lake Huron

car show on main street in Kincardian ontario

winter wheat getting harvested. they are dry corn looks like it really needs a drink and soy are making plant mass no pods

oats sucks

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                              I remember in the sixties Popular Mechanics was highlighting an American-built (also red) flying car much like this one. They were taking deposits and going into production but it didn’t seem to take off.
                              Perhaps that is why it remained a car. It wouldn't take off!

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                                If it rains…when it doesn’t, the shine comes off of them.
                                Yes, a few farmers tried faba beans locally after a string of wet years, thinking they were the answer to tolerating the water. And of course it didn't rain, and they were pitiful. Which has scared me off of growing them.
                                This goes back to my original post, if we had any decently usable long term forecasts, we could plan accordingly. Dry year such as last year, grow canola and barley, wet year such as this, faba beans, wheat. etc. I haven't found any forecasts to be that useful yet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...