• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one,marketing.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
    To be low risk you would want to have some assurance of having actual bushels to back that option up. If prices go north and your option you sold is nominated for exercise it can get expensive

I wonder if your friend also bought an ATM or near the money option and then sold/wrote OTM to lower his cost?
    IIRC, he was doing some spreads in some cases, but seemed to be comfortable with naked contracts, in some market circumstances. Perhaps as in now, when prices are very strong. But still, extreme volatility can make it extremely interesting...

He did know his stuff better than I did, and I stayed with buying options.

I remember his comment was - why not write them? They pay you.

I would think his margin account wold have to be quite significant. Overall, he did very well so his methods were obviously not all stupid. Hard to argue against success, but sometimes there is much more to it than what is known.

Comment

Mallee your comments and thoughts are actually very important to help understand the markets. When our markets get slammed, it can be unnerving, and that’s the job of the market, to establish price ranges. To see Ausi market is stable, with the same exporters that we have I think is very telling. Thank you keep it up 😊

No one has mentioned the canola exchanges. Is there enough volume, is it used enough by the buyers, exporters and farmers to be a fair representation of the cash market? Seems like there is a disconnect between cash spot markets and the futures price. Some buyers change the futures months plus or minus basis while others use different months. They don’t all use the same futures month to offer spot prices. Etc

Any way in volatile markets I like to phone and talk to buyers with our targets, his insights and thoughts, no targets or basis commitments. I HATE basis contract as that’s a gift to the buyer that knows what volume is coming in for which month. They know the exact contracted volume and price as well as other volumes not contracted yet. I feel the same for price and volume target prices. A dream for a buyer.

Comment

Lots of black dry ground showing up here lately and it's going to be a lot harder to fake a big crop unless we get a major moisture event in the next 60 days. BUT when that weather pattern breaks we all know who really pays for it. The market guys just don't know where to put the money these days so they chose food.

Comment

Mallee I think we were in the same boat in 2008 our basis was terrible because nobody could get shipping because trains were moving oil.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
            Mallee, must be very frustrating not to get canola shipping going in SA.
            Two ships for March/April on the shipping stem. Is that right?
            European futures are at about 770 AUD for the May contract....

I read an article where a farm in NSW pulled off a 7 tonne crop. Wow
            https://www.graincentral.com/news/dual-purpose-canola-crop-breaks-australian-record/ https://www.graincentral.com/news/dual-purpose-canola-crop-breaks-australian-record/
            Been the case for a while China controls shipping worldwide according to some in the game. They want cargoes in or out they get em rest of world waits at times. Then you guys have weather issues physically getting ships in and out to add to problems

Comment

Basis contracts can be shitty yes.
              They have uses tho. Don't discard them completely.

Comment

Re my wheat contract I spoke about earlier.
                Vessel due early to mid March.

But still questions if they have enough containers.

Somehow gonna try to get first in line.

Comment

Dumb question. How much of aus crop relies on containers?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                    Dumb question. How much of aus crop relies on containers?
                    Bugger all for wheat barley but legumes a lot I’d say.

Bulk shipping and containers short here.

Always premium price in container trade what ever the commodities

Comment

I know some of you guys will laugh even disbelieve but some traders here are cash strapped especially the smaller ones.

Another reason for quiet market, they’ve gotta move what they’ve bought. Some of those guys are behind as well bulk shipments. Probably only a few weeks but same issues.

Sometimes during our harvest buyers just pull out vanished our books are full which means just that or there merchant banks have said that’s it’s no more credit to trading arm of your company.

Anecdotal heresay doing the round some small traders are on wrong side of the market with there canola hedging. Or backyarditis huge crop in oz small crop in Canada average in Europe got blindsided went through stops and are now bleeding hence canola market dead as a aged steak.

Other line of thought by some here on the jittery market, gonna take 4 or 5 non rain events for markets to move and only one big rain event to send it tumbling.

End users playing the waiting game just buying hand to mouth each week just slightly cheaper. They know farmers will sell soon for fertiliser and chemicals etc etc . Some years nothing easy about marketing grain here, but it’s reasonably orderly.

Bulk elevator system our local took in 500,000 tonne that’s counts other small elevators grain now coming into a central point. Could be almost 250 to 300k unsold. Latest figures haven’t come out. Still 15 plus buyers operating but Mexican stand off about $30 below prices of 4 weeks ago. Odd day one guy will bid above everyone else bang filled with a hour. Means there short on a vessel coming in.

Comment

Got a very smart very lazy neighbor, when asked why he wasnt dealing with a heating pile of barley he replied i have no time for marketing. Me neither but i move what i can when i can and contract nothing. Not a recipe for greatness but i have survived, for me cash flow dictates.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                          Got a very smart very lazy neighbor, when asked why he wasnt dealing with a heating pile of barley he replied i have no time for marketing. Me neither but i move what i can when i can and contract nothing. Not a recipe for greatness but i have survived, for me cash flow dictates.
                          I’m in awe of you guys at times lock the bins etc etc hold on for months. Here down under at times we need cash. No insurance or anything. Th8nk I read on agriville recently some one had 8 year old canola just wow factor. Rarely is grain held over here for more than 8 months and nearly always gone by harvest. Mega rich guys probably carry over at times

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.