• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerusalem Artichokes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerusalem Artichokes

I came across an article about this swindle in the early 80’s. Got me thinking about all the other pyramid schemes and crookedry the ag industry has seen over the years. Sometimes things started out not necessarily as a con job but progressed to it eventually. This area saw many types of livestock deals like this. Red waddle pigs, elk velvet, pigeons. Some made like bandits while others lost big. What are some good stories if you have any?

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
    I came across an article about this swindle in the early 80’s. Got me thinking about all the other pyramid schemes and crookedry the ag industry has seen over the years. Sometimes things started out not necessarily as a con job but progressed to it eventually. This area saw many types of livestock deals like this. Red waddle pigs, elk velvet, pigeons. Some made like bandits while others lost big. What are some good stories if you have any?
    Ostriches and the guy learnt how to put his head in the sand.

Comment

This topic reminds me of a story a guy I know tells. He was early into potbelly pigs. City people wanted them for pets. They didn't grow very big and apparently quite easy to house train.

He was raising them and selling them all over Canada and the US. Some up to $10,000. Couldn't keep up to the demand. This went on for about 2 or 3 years. Then one day the bubble burst and they couldn't give them away.

I said what did you do with the last of them. Well he said he was only left with one so "We ate it."

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
        This topic reminds me of a story a guy I know tells. He was early into potbelly pigs. City people wanted them for pets. They didn't grow very big and apparently quite easy to house train.

He was raising them and selling them all over Canada and the US. Some up to $10,000. Couldn't keep up to the demand. This went on for about 2 or 3 years. Then one day the bubble burst and they couldn't give them away.

I said what did you do with the last of them. Well he said he was only left with one so "We ate it."
        Friends of our daughters were sold a “teacup” pig a few years back, perfect pet, won’t grow any bigger than a Chihuahua. He’s 750 lbs now, litter trained and still lives in the house

Comment

Bet they can sell “fertilizer” to greenies.

Comment

Worm farming was a thing in the 70's. I remember my buddy and I standing in a guys heated shop in winter OV 's in hand of course looking at all these flower beds full of worms. He said he was going to make a fortune in a few months but after a year of hydro bills end up dumping them in his own garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
              Worm farming was a thing in the 70's. I remember my buddy and I standing in a guys heated shop in winter OV 's in hand of course looking at all these flower beds full of worms. He said he was going to make a fortune in a few months but after a year of hydro bills end up dumping them in his own garden.
              I have been to a maggot farm in the states. It wasn't very big but quite profitable. The maggots are sold to plant breeders. Plant breeders cover plants that need pollinating in a bag, for lack of a better term. They then introduce the maggots that become flys. After a few days the bags are opened and the flys are released and pollination is complete.

Comment

Worm farming. Post retirement career.

Comment

Was a saying years ago that when an exotic animals had been around long enough to have there own column in western producer it was time to unload them . First in first out made the money

Comment

Originally posted by katoe View Post
                    Was a saying years ago that when an exotic animals had been around long enough to have there own column in western producer it was time to unload them . First in first out made the money
                    Yes! I’m old enough to remember the exotic cattle breeds in there. Romanola, Marchigana, Chianina, Blonde D’Aquitain. Seems now there’s a resurgence of highland and Yaks. See ads people peddling yak jerky. Wife wants some highlands and it’s a hard no. Have highland ethnicity but I’ll leave my cattle back in the old country.

Comment

It is my opinion (not that it's worth much) that if the government recommends ANYTHING, agriculture related or otherwise, you should walk away FAST.

Comment

Highland is great beef but no money in it.

Comment

Neighbour is raising some new pasture pig variety. They are getting 1500 to 2000 a piglet and have a long waiting list. Do the math on that by litters of 8 or 10 a couple times a year!

Cant remember the breed name but they have a smashed in face look like a bulldog and legs about 6 inches long, otherwise a medium sized meat pig. With the short legs I think they are funny looking and bet they would get high centered pretty easy.

Comment

For a few years we stopped taking the kids to the zoo. Just a short drive in the countryside and you could see just about anything from around the world !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...