• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women in Agriculture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women in Agriculture

Does anyone know of an active female ag operator who would like to be high lighted in a photo-shoot?

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Does anyone know of an active female ag operator who would like to be high lighted in a photo-shoot?
    I know a local woman who could probably out work a man, very nice humble person. She came from a salt of the earth family.

Comment

What ever happened to farmer Megs? I think she runs a farm and is an agvocate. I don’t follow any of that stuff but it hits the radar on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
        What ever happened to farmer Megs? I think she runs a farm and is an agvocate. I don’t follow any of that stuff but it hits the radar on occasion.
        Poser

Comment

Recruit Blaithin.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
            Poser
            That's an understatement. ....every time she is in public supposedly representing farmers ...I feel like throwing up ....
            Last edited by bucket; May 30, 2020, 07:14.

Comment

My wife? I need some context. What kind of photo shoot? For an article? Would it help increase exposure for our farm?

Comment

Sheepwheat, actually I was thinking you would come up with someone. Your wife would prolly be great. This photographer has a track record. Can you private message me? I can see it now.

Comment

Your wife was excellent on the tv article
                  She is a natural and can tell she really does love the farm !

Comment

Recruit Blaithin.
                    Hah, thanks 😳

SumDumGuy it’s not terribly hard to find women active in ag. Go check in at the local farm store or auction mart, there will be women around and they aren’t all there just because their husbands wanted to stop in. And if the photographer doesn’t need someone who necessarily owns her own farm but works within ag then the opportunities are huge. Feedlots for sure, and I believe dairies as well, have high female employment rates. I don’t work with other livestock but could presume chicken and pig barns are similar.

Approach a lady in a rural setting and ask. Usually we’re just behind the scenes a bit more, not inactive.

Comment

You have some good options there but if you end up still looking there is a woman up here running a crop scouting business with her husband.

They also are farming a fair bit.

I can say she ain't no Poser but as cattle guy don't need no scouting so don't know her real well.

You might know her family as she comes from down you way.

http://www.aggrowconsulting.com/meet_the_team.html http://www.aggrowconsulting.com/meet_the_team.html

Seem to hire good people who stay with them.

I'm guessing CaseIH or Seldom know her better than me.

Comment

I know many
                        Some very excellent women in Ag , both on farm and in the business

Comment

The thing is, when we talk like we are it’s like somehow it’s a special thing to see women in ag. I like to think of them as people. Some are skilled. Some ambitious. Like men. Some not. I’m not sure if I’m making sense or just sounding like a Liberal sheep.

My mom milked 14 cows (13 Holsteins and a brown Swiss) every night if Dad was in the field. No pipeline milker. Just a big stainless pot that when full weighed more than she did. Separated the cream. Washed everything. Made supper. Even washed her Father in law’a clothes. Hauled grain in the fall. Picked up fertilizer in spring. She wasn’t special in the neighbourhood. She was just an essential part of the business. Most of the neighbor farm women were the same. They handled everything from chores to fieldwork.

None them schilled for interviews or were sought out by the the media. Agvovates? Well Ag wouldn’t have existed without them.

I’m not female and have had trouble understanding them my whole life. This tirade isn’t meant to insult anyone but to point out that women in Ag aren’t a “unique” thing. Since the prairies was broke women have been getting it done. Sometimes that even included pulling the plow.

Comment

The thing is, when we talk like we are it’s like somehow it’s a special thing to see women in ag. I like to think of them as people. Some are skilled. Some ambitious. Like men. Some not. I’m not sure if I’m making sense or just sounding like a Liberal sheep.

My mom milked 14 cows (13 Holsteins and a brown Swiss) every night if Dad was in the field. No pipeline milker. Just a big stainless pot that when full weighed more than she did. Separated the cream. Washed everything. Made supper. Even washed her Father in law’a clothes. Hauled grain in the fall. Picked up fertilizer in spring. She wasn’t special in the neighbourhood. She was just an essential part of the business. Most of the neighbor farm women were the same. They handled everything from chores to fieldwork.

None them schilled for interviews or were sought out by the the media. Agvovates? Well Ag wouldn’t have existed without them.

I’m not female and have had trouble understanding them my whole life. This tirade isn’t meant to insult anyone but to point out that women in Ag aren’t a “unique” thing. Since the prairies was broke women have been getting it done. Sometimes that even included pulling the plow.
                            All that’s true. Which is why women in ag aren’t hard to find. Usually it just requires focus to shift a bit. If you’re used to seeing the trees in the yard, you don’t always recognize how many trees there are. For a flora kind of analogy hah

But perhaps this ease of, overlooking is the wrong word but the only one I can think of right now, women is why they should be interviewed more. Call them Agvocates? Sure, if that’s what they do, but many don’t. Most of us just farm and work, we don’t go out and constantly look for ways to promote ag.

Being a woman in the ag industry is a funny thing. The farmers I talk to regularly support and endorse their wives and their daughters (and yes, their mothers as well) for how skilled and competent they are on the farm. Yet... they seem surprised when they run into other women with similar skill sets. That surprise is enhanced if the woman isn’t working with a man. And in most cases I do just consider it surprise. Women just aren’t the first thing that comes to mind when they think of employees or employers in the industry - and that doesn’t just apply to men either, female farmers are just as likely to react similarly. It takes them a few seconds for it to sink in and then the women just become part of the everyday and are no longer considered “women in ag”, we’re just another farmer or worker. Which is great, but also why sometimes people struggle to think of women in ag, because we’re just ordinary daily occurrences.

I don’t know what sort of project this photographer is working on but it would be interesting if they just chose a location and worked out in a circle. Stopping at every farm yard and enquiring if a woman lives and/or works on the farm, either family or employee. They may be shocked with the results they get - however I’m sure none of us on here would be.

Comment

BTW, I just didn’t have space to write about my wife’s contribution to our farm business. It would fill a book.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.