• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In defense of sustainable energy.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burnt View Post
    So you are admitting that you're are just another "progressive" hypocrite.

Because you'll notice that I wasn't making any argument, merely asking how you back your "beliefs" and claim with actions.

It's because people like you vote that we end up with the worst empty suit of a PM that this country has ever had - all talk, no substance.
    If you said anything intelligent I might consider giving a better answer but most of the time your posts aren't worthy a serious reply.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      If you said anything intelligent I might consider giving a better answer but most of the time your posts aren't worthy a serious reply.
      Answer the question, chucky. Quite deflecting.

Comment

Genuine thanks to Chuck, this is turning into a productive engagement, instead of the usual Angryville insults match. I'm now prompted to do more research into the latest in Hydrogen fuel generation, Chuck has acknowledged that hydrogen fuel cells are not an energy source, and obviously done some homework on the subject.

If one were to simply read all the negatives about the current generation of renewables, one couldn't help but be very depressed about the future of energy once affordable supplies of fossil fuels decline, it is obvious that most of the worlds population would freeze and starve in the dark if we had to rely on current renewable technology. It is reassuring to know that there are other avenues being pursued, and that governments and taxpayers are waking up to the mind boggling waste of resources the current production scale experiments have been, and are cutting off the funding. I just hope this doesn't poison the research environment and affect funding for future concepts which may actually be viable.

Comment

So how come no one is saying that Brad Wall and Saskpower are wrong for investing in wind and solar to get to 50% renewables by 2030? Why so quiet?

Comment

So how come no one is saying that Brad Wall and Saskpower are wrong for investing in wind and solar to get to 50% renewables by 2030? Why so quiet?
            They are wrong if they are subsidizing non-viable projects with tax payer and utility users dollars. They are hypocrites for making promises whose end date does not fit within their election cycle mandate. They are politicians acting like politicians. A left leaning voter might move right due to a left leaning policy like this, but this type of policy will not scare a right wing voter to go further even left. A safe political strategy.

Comment

I think if you are fair minded and willing to do the research you will see that wind is competitive compared to new natural gas capacity.

Sask Power also has said carbon capture on coal retrofits are too expensive and they wouldn't recommend pursuing more.

The best option is to convert some aging coal plants to natural gas, buy surplus hydro from manitoba, and add some renewables. This would help reduce Saskatchewans carbon emissions which are some of the highest per capita in the world.

Comment

I think if you are fair minded and willing to do the research you will see that wind is competitive compared to new natural gas capacity.

Sask Power also has said carbon capture on coal retrofits are too expensive and they wouldn't recommend pursuing more.

The best option is to convert some aging coal plants to natural gas, buy surplus hydro from manitoba, and add some renewables. This would help reduce Saskatchewans carbon emissions which are some of the highest per capita in the world.
                Chuck, Alberta Electric System Operator up to the minute power production. 8:15 pm mountain standard time. Alberta has 20 wind production sites, 1445 MW capacity. Right now it is -24, clear and cold. These windmills are currently producing 22 MW of electricity, 1.5% of capacity. I am so sick and f#*king tired of being told how wonderful windmills are, all I have to say is bullshit and the actual production numbers prove it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                  Chuck, Alberta Electric System Operator up to the minute power production. 8:15 pm mountain standard time. Alberta has 20 wind production sites, 1445 MW capacity. Right now it is -24, clear and cold. These windmills are currently producing 22 MW of electricity, 1.5% of capacity. I am so sick and f#*king tired of being told how wonderful windmills are, all I have to say is bullshit and the actual production numbers prove it!!!!
                  tell the lie enough times...... well you know the rest of it
                  luckily we don't need any energy when its clear and cold.....

Comment

To save me some research, can you tell me if it is competitive at nameplate ratings(theoretical 100% uptime), or at actual utilization rates? As Hamloc pointed out, the two can be significantly different. Please post some links, I do want to read this.
                    When wind power including storage is competitive, I'll be the first to install or invest, and with my own money.

Comment

Ok. I will say it. They are stupid. It was pure politics and hopefully in 10 years they can figure out how to make solar and wind cost efficient.

Although I do think they went about the wind the correct way. They build 100% of the projected load in gas generation.

Then have private contractors tender wind projects for say 30% of the projected load Which is in excess of needed requirements and the only cost is for the power actually generated.

They could actually care less if they generates 1.5% of nameplate as they have built gas to cover the load. If the wind generates more they turn down or switch out gas for wind.

No need to worry if wind power creates a profit as it is tendered and contracted for 25 yrs and only paid for actual power generated.

Comment

We all know wind and solar are intermittent. But if it is used correctly it will reduce the use of fossil energy when it is producing. Isn't that the goal?

You need to have baseload that can be ramped up and down quickly.

Storage for renewables are being developed and implemented as we speak.

Germany and Denmark use much high percentages of renewables. How can they do that if they don't work? Germany the strongest economy in Europe who has dropped nuclear and switched to a lot of renewables and some more coal. They must be failures right! LOL

You guys are just so negative about anything that doesn't fit your narrow political view of the world.

It is a waste of time trying to have a discussion.

Comment

Chuck explain what is wrong with taking a river and building a dam to control flooding and save water produce power have recreation and irrigation all positives vs a ugly spinning turbine that kills every thing near it and costs so much to create.

Yea no discussion here

Solar panels are so nice to look at huge fields of black

Comment

We all know wind and solar are intermittent. But if it is used correctly it will reduce the use of fossil energy when it is producing. Isn't that the goal?

Germany and Denmark use much high percentages of renewables. How can they do that if they don't work? Germany the strongest economy in Europe who has dropped nuclear and switched to a lot of renewables and some more coal. They must be failures right! LOL

You guys are just so negative about anything that doesn't fit your narrow political view of the world.

So, starting a thread entirely devoted to stating why I think we need to switch to sustainable energy, and attempting to justify it, then offering potential solutions for funding this research is narrow minded and negative? I think we have the same goals, we just disagree on the means and the justification. Your response leads me to believe that your position is entirely about ideology, and has nothing to do with actual results.

Comment

Germany and Denmark are perfect examples of the failure of the current use of solar and wind. here is a visual of their electricity costs compared to other countries, highest.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	how_much_does_electricity_cost__large-copy-8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	766202

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html http://https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html
                              And this is how insignificant the contribution of solar and wind is for all that additional cost:

https://www.energy-charts.de/power.htm https://www.energy-charts.de/power.htm

That doesn't look like a solution, it looks like the end of the industrialized world once fossil fuels are unable to keep up to demand. We need to find better solutions before our entire power supply looks like the little yellow bumps on Germany's graph, and our costs even worse. That is what the status quo will get us, I demand better.
                              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Feb 9, 2018, 10:52.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                                Germany and Denmark are perfect examples of the failure of the current use of solar and wind. here is a visual of their electricity costs compared to other countries, highest.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2532[/ATTACH]

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html http://https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html
                                And this is how insignificant the contribution of solar and wind is for all that additional cost:

https://www.energy-charts.de/power.htm https://www.energy-charts.de/power.htm

That doesn't look like a solution, it looks like the end of the industrialized world once fossil fuels are unable to keep up to demand. We need to find better solutions before our entire power supply looks like the little yellow bumps on Germany's graph, and our costs even worse. That is what the status quo will get us, I demand better.
                                Good job AB5, I was going to point out that these 2 countries have the most expensive power. Also worth noting while Australia as a whole has a price of 29 cents per kwh, the state of South Austrailia pays 47cents per kwh. This is the same state Elon Musk built the world's largest storage battery to help cope with brown outs. Reality bites Chuck!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.