• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flipping thru the Classifieds

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flipping thru the Classifieds

I'm looking through the Western Producer classifieds this morning.

I remember a couple of decades ago there were pages and pages and pages(and the physical size of the pages were bigger than they are today) of Sask farmland for sale. Now there are a few short columns and that space is even littered with real estate agent ads and even want ads.

What a difference 2 or 3 decades makes, was it that bad then or is it that good now?

WANTED: functioning crystal ball, 100% accuracy rate.

All consolidated now 1 deal is 10 20 or 30 quarters

and there are lots of land already spoken for. I ve paid cash in advance to have the first right to negotiate on a parcel right next to me coming up in 3 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      I'm looking through the Western Producer classifieds this morning.

I remember a couple of decades ago there were pages and pages and pages(and the physical size of the pages were bigger than they are today) of Sask farmland for sale. Now there are a few short columns and that space is even littered with real estate agent ads and even want ads.

What a difference 2 or 3 decades makes, was it that bad then or is it that good now?

WANTED: functioning crystal ball, 100% accuracy rate.
      Wait a year or two. Half of sask will be for sale and it'll be a race to the bottom in prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        Wait a year or two. Half of sask will be for sale and it'll be a race to the bottom in prices.
        If things go south it will not be a repeat of the 80s.Back then only petson buying were farmers.Most farmers were just on survival mode or walked away and got a job in city.Population in sask was going down and not a popular province to invest in.Now our province population is going up and lots of investors looking for some place for their money has nothing against sask farmland.These are the guys that will hold the bottom from going down as dramatic.So if you think you can increase your personal wealth by scooping up cheap land from unfortunate situations your dreaming.If you are young family hoping to get out with something to show for it i am thinking this time you probably will.

Comment

I agree with Klause when things take a turn for the worse the 80s will look like child's play. The borrowed money being thrown around these days is astounding to the amount before. Seen India imposed more tariff on peas and lentils.

Comment

As someone who missed out on all the opportunities in Sask the first time around, and stayed here in Ab buying expensive land, I hope you are right, and there will be more opportunities. However, I have my doubts. How are you positioning yourself for this opportunity? If it will only be a year or two, the risk reward of being short is too good to turn down.

Comment

Oh boy, here I go again....

When "investors" can't get a ROI they won't be lining up to buy land. There were areas that some land went unfarmed, rented for taxes, etc..... it CAN become a liability again!

Some farmers are still in the ego stage.... ego doesn't pay bills.

Comment

Originally posted by brs View Post
                I agree with Klause when things take a turn for the worse the 80s will look like child's play. The borrowed money being thrown around these days is astounding to the amount before. Seen India imposed more tariff on peas and lentils.
                Good farmers are using borrowed money to grow big crops for profit. They are growing wealth exponentionally. I think there is considerably more wealth on large farms than we give regard to.

It may well be the opposite situation, as Klause describes, but I dont see it.

Comment

In the eighties we didnt have China or India in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                    Good farmers are using borrowed money to grow big crops for profit. They are growing wealth exponentionally. I think there is considerably more wealth on large farms than we give regard to.

It may well be the opposite situation, as Klause describes, but I dont see it.
                    Agreed hobby, but I don't know if those few can clean up all the potential carnage.

...then there's the casualties.

Every area has its well heeled operations and its "wannabes"....

Comment

We r so land locked for freight to the most important parts of the world with the population if the countries closer to the people can grow all crops look out. Also we have our levies for breeding of the crops and then our product gets shipped overseas and don't tell me they don't use our genetics in their soil. They get the best for both worlds then no levies and all the research.
                      Few poor crops and crappy prices doesn't take long to eat up a surplus of money from previous years. Lots of the wealth generated is only on paper because land prices have exploded if the prices drop where is the wealth.

Comment

That is honestly one of the most retarded predictions I have ever heard. Most farmers are in the business for the long haul and wont get taken out by a few poor years lots of farms been going for over 100 years and they will soak up any land that comes up from the fair weather types quick.

Comment

also seeing lots of packages of 10-20 quarters split up and sold to 3 or 4 farms now.

Comment

China and India view Canada as hostile investment territory and unreliable for exports.

FSU, south America, Australia are benefiting
                            Some of us see the big picture from the outside.

Maintain currency in foreign reserves.

This may take down a heck of a lot more than just ag.

Saying it can't happen? Look at the oil and gas industry. Down to 1/4 of where it was in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                              That is honestly one of the most retarded predictions I have ever heard. Most farmers are in the business for the long haul and wont get taken out by a few poor years lots of farms been going for over 100 years and they will soak up any land that comes up from the fair weather types quick.

Few words for you.

The 80s.

You realize in our area land was rented for taxes...

No farmer can survive without selling product.

So when banks stop lending and call loans, buyers don't buy (aka peas/ lentils) and expenses don't drop... Um ya.

My family survived 3 military dictatorships, the Weimar republic, two world wars, and 3 bouts of hyperinflation.

Do you really think HCI or Andjelic will hold onto land once the price starts to drop? If they sell out that's over half a million acres.

You're a perfect example of somebody living in a micro bubble... There's lots of forces at work far bigger than Manitoba or sask or Canada.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.