• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germany to phase out glyphosate as soon as possible

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany to phase out glyphosate as soon as possible

https://sustainablepulse.com/2018/02/09/germany-will-phase-out-glyphosate-herbicides-as-fast-as-possible/#.Wn0VVnOp4wB https://sustainablepulse.com/2018/02/09/germany-will-phase-out-glyphosate-herbicides-as-fast-as-possible/#.Wn0VVnOp4wB

Writing on the wall?

Banning all chemical usage will be the next step for them. Be interesting to see how this experiment plays out and if they will hold true to their principles when it comes to imports.

Comment

"Always read and "follow" label directions" isn't good enough? It has changed farming in Western Canada.

Use it, don't abuse it, or lose it!

MRLs were explained to me as, if used under the label DIRECTIONS , you can expect up to "X" amount of residue....."X" not necessarily meaning zero.

Comment

A quick google search of no-till and Germany led to this link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316314575_Reduced_Tillage_and_No-Till_in_Organic_Farming_Systems_Germany-Status_Quo_Potentials_and_Challenges https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316314575_Reduced_Tillage_and_No-Till_in_Organic_Farming_Systems_Germany-Status_Quo_Potentials_and_Challenges

Not sure what the sources were, but the author claims 1% of German arable land is in No-Till. So I assume that the other 99% of German farmers can survive without glyphosate. But if I were a betting man, I would wager that as soon as possible turns into years, then decades. that is not exactly a deadline written in stone.

Is there any other combination of chemicals that could do an equivalent job to Glyphosate for a pre seed burn down, without cropping restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          A quick google search of no-till and Germany led to this link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316314575_Reduced_Tillage_and_No-Till_in_Organic_Farming_Systems_Germany-Status_Quo_Potentials_and_Challenges https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316314575_Reduced_Tillage_and_No-Till_in_Organic_Farming_Systems_Germany-Status_Quo_Potentials_and_Challenges

Not sure what the sources were, but the author claims 1% of German arable land is in No-Till. So I assume that the other 99% of German farmers can survive without glyphosate. But if I were a betting man, I would wager that as soon as possible turns into years, then decades. that is not exactly a deadline written in stone.

Is there any other combination of chemicals that could do an equivalent job to Glyphosate for a pre seed burn down, without cropping restrictions?
          ........for under $5/acre ?

Comment

Can anyone still get away with glyphosate alone as a burndown? Here it's a *cocktail* to tackle resistance.

But yeah, with politicians, words are easy. Following through not so much.

Also... Signed a declaration with p&h this year to say I didn't preharvest my wheat. Honestly with rampant abuse I think it's likely to be deregistered for preharvest use before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

Also... Signed a declaration with p&h this year to say I didn't preharvest my wheat. Honestly with rampant abuse I think it's likely to be deregistered for preharvest use before too long.
              Honestly, I think would be the best possible outcome we could hope for. If phasing out preharvest isn't forced upon us, it will likely skip directly to an outright ban such as that proposed in Germany.
              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Feb 9, 2018, 00:19.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                ........for under $5/acre ?
                For any price?

Comment

There will be a lot of headers for sale and SHORT the chemical companies.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    There will be a lot of headers for sale and SHORT the chemical companies.
                    I disagree. Chemical companies will have a license to print money as we are forced to buy much more expensive and less effective herbicides, and apply many more in combination.

Somehow I straight cut every acre in the most unforgiving climate on the prairies without desiccating anything.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                      Also... Signed a declaration with p&h this year to say I didn't preharvest my wheat.
                      Seriously for wheat?
                      (P&H doesn’t require a declaration where we haul....just for Manipulator.)

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                        Seriously for wheat?
                        (P&H doesn’t require a declaration where we haul....just for Manipulator.)
                        They made me sign a declaration for oats, saying something to the effect that I never sprayed them with glyphosate. And I was hauling barley, whatever I signed it because i never did spray my oats, just seemed odd.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.