• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybean results. ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Helmsdale....a buddy of mine from Alta explained "Special Areas" to me....probably needs special attention and methods farming in it.

I always thought we were kinda lucky here when it came to rain but maybe not lucky enough to consistently grow a moisture loving long season crop like soybeans.

I may have to wait for the short season drought tolerant varieties that will yield half a much as the standard ones.

....a local bid here recently of $10.65
    Drought tolerant Soybeans... Are those similar genetics to Chick Peas? I remember when guys first tried growing them here, they were much like me. Eager to try something new. They were marketed as drought tolerant. Good god I remember guys saying you could do a shot of whiskey every time one came into the combine hopper and still not be drunk at the end of the day... As a rule, we generally get the heat units and length of season here that would be necessary for the shorter duration soy. Rain is ALWAYS the decider here.

Prices here have been decent. One location pushing $11.00, many others willing to buy, but only in car lots. Finding it hard to peddle a 3ton load. Have a few calls out, and need to make some more next week, but in order to get a car lot i would have had to put in 5 quarters... Haha, wouldn't have an income tax problem for years if that had been the case!

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
      Our crops usually yield less than neighbourhood because we have a calibrated scale on our grain cart that everything goes through. Also, our bean yields aren't seed dealer yields.

RR2Xtended NSC Starcity looked the best and made 37. Watsons didn't look as good but made 40.

The extend system is a great weed control system though. Starcity first pods were too close to the ground.
      Ha Ha. Gotta stop calibrating. You only lose yield that way.

Comment

The soy yields here in mid-western Ontario are disappointing this fall. We had lots of rain but it was miserably cold all summer. A lot of flat pods.

We've had more heat in September and October than we got all July and August. Good thing, because the corn crop is still behind in development.

The soys are ranging from a reported low of 35 bu a couple of miles from here to a very rare high 50's. One local elevator said that the most common number is low 40's.

50 - 60 is what we've come to expect in this area. So we are off by 5 - 10 bu from normal.

Comment

Our first quarter of P002s SW of Humboldt ran 13. 0.4" of rain since planting on may 25th. Every sloughs on that pothole quarter is dry to drive through. They sucked an insane amount of water to were the thistle and dandelion patches died out. It's incredible there's anything there but they were very short pods right on ground. Definitely not a money maker

Hope the ones at home with 3.5" since seeding do better.

Comment

Can't for the life of me figure out Why you'd plant Soybeans in an area where lentils are grown.
            Lentils do well here because of Terminal Drought (rain Events End in first part of July)
            Soybeans Need rain All growing season

Need another pulse in the dry areas with an ACTUAL Upside... then grow chickpeas

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
              Can't for the life of me figure out Why you'd plant Soybeans in an area where lentils are grown.
              Lentils do well here because of Terminal Drought (rain Events End in first part of July)
              Soybeans Need rain All growing season

Need another pulse in the dry areas with an ACTUAL Upside... then grow chickpeas
              We are in an area that growing season precip can go either way...adequate or inadequate. A gamble either way. I don't know if you can say "typical" weather here....or anywhere for that matter.

What does being on the edge of moist dark brown thin black mean....I think it could go either way. The more classifications the more obscure the boundaries. ...escpecially when you border two.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.