• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plant protein demand has surged without government involvement???????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant protein demand has surged without government involvement???????

Really ...then why the Protein superclusterF*ck...with a billion dollars to give away ??????????????

And an organization that is required to hand out the money??????????

And if the demand is there why are pulse prices moving lower .....the other markets are taking some...the new demand should be increasing prices....

What a load of bullcrap....

The articles just frustrate me because it always sunshine and lollipops and these guys talk with no regard for the primary producers that make it all happen in the first place....
    Last edited by bucket; Aug 9, 2019, 08:09.

Must be b/S , pea price is terrible

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Must be b/S , pea price is terrible
      I don't understand ...demand created ....I don't think there is a record setting pea crop in the making and yet the price falls...Sub 6 bucks ....but I don't think the crop is there to justify the price...but it isn't going to 8 anytime soon....so what is the overall advantage other than the guys get cheap peas to make into a 17 dollar a pound fake meat burger...

Sounds like the canola crush industry....

Bottom line is the primary producer is really getting screwed....

Comment

The primary producer may be getting screwedbut not ****d as he is going peacafuly,if you want to grow peas suply your own vasiline,dont just complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
          The primary producer may be getting screwedbut not ****d as he is going peacafuly,if you want to grow peas suply your own vasiline,dont just complain.
          Peas and lentils may be out of the rotation for 2020....wheat durum flax ...maybe canola if there is a reduction in seed prices

Comment

yes beyond beef has all the headlines now but this stuff in nothing new. I remember years ago at some pulse meeting that Sask pulse and pulse Canada were promoting this idea. Guys we need this terribly. When China and India buy most of our peas and lentil and they decide to take a pass. We have celiacs in the family and we buy Red lentil pasta that is actually pretty good. Long term we need to get pulse protein in a lot more products for them to bump protein, cookies, cereal, bread, etc. It will be interesting once the portage plant comes online. You have to figure they have some idea for markets for their products? Ya prices are poor, kinda knew that this spring, but wanted to keep red lentils in the rotation. I would love to see .20 cents but don't think that will happen soon unless nature does something. There is a lot of disease in the areas where they got a lot of rain in July.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              I don't understand ...demand created ....I don't think there is a record setting pea crop in the making and yet the price falls...Sub 6 bucks ....but I don't think the crop is there to justify the price...but it isn't going to 8 anytime soon....so what is the overall advantage other than the guys get cheap peas to make into a 17 dollar a pound fake meat burger...

Sounds like the canola crush industry....

Bottom line is the primary producer is really getting screwed....
              Actually this is the largest acreage ever in Canada combined with a above average crop when you look across the prairies, so it is the largest pea production in Canada's history if it comes off without problems. Yes there will be some 20 bu crops but also some 60 bushel crops. Long term average is about 36 and my guess is this crop is 42 bu/ac. Similar to 2016. But, without a vessel lineup in Vancouver for peas to India it is going to get really really sloppy. Some tonnage done to China but that isn't enough to hold prices where they are today.

Reds are a similar issue. No forward sales at all and virtually none on green lentils. I have been in the special crop trade for 17 years and never seen anything like this situation.

The plant protein movement is great long term (and protien/starch fractionation in china is why we have record sales last two years, largely due to Pulse Canada work) but USA also has alot of pea acres and a big crop. Going to be a struggle for prices to even maintain where they are today until India comes in in Jan 2020 forward.

Comment

Probably a better outlook for green peas than yellows.

I think the pipeline was empty at the end. But how many people grew greens trying to chase the falling star? Pea disease is getting to be a big issue that may limit production against our will. My neighbor has better luck growing peas on some of his land that hasn't seen a pulse....maybe ever! Told him to enjoy it while it lasts!

Comment

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
                  Actually this is the largest acreage ever in Canada combined with a above average crop when you look across the prairies, so it is the largest pea production in Canada's history if it comes off without problems. Yes there will be some 20 bu crops but also some 60 bushel crops. Long term average is about 36 and my guess is this crop is 42 bu/ac. Similar to 2016. But, without a vessel lineup in Vancouver for peas to India it is going to get really really sloppy. Some tonnage done to China but that isn't enough to hold prices where they are today.

Reds are a similar issue. No forward sales at all and virtually none on green lentils. I have been in the special crop trade for 17 years and never seen anything like this situation.

The plant protein movement is great long term (and protien/starch fractionation in china is why we have record sales last two years, largely due to Pulse Canada work) but USA also has alot of pea acres and a big crop. Going to be a struggle for prices to even maintain where they are today until India comes in in Jan 2020 forward.
                  With the amount of root rot in pea crops I will throw a guess in on peas at 35 ave

If it don’t hold where prices are today pea acres will be way down .
                  You’d get more of a paycheck from working at Walmart
                  Last edited by furrowtickler; Aug 9, 2019, 15:14.

Comment

I don't care what they do with the pea protein, as long as there is another outlet for some production. How could this be bad?

I use some protein powder, never did soy, had whey and egg, and now more into the plant based ones. Have some hemp and just got done a container of pea protein powder. Some of the stuff tastes gross and the texture is gritty but I am after the health benefits, not what only tastes and feels good in my mouth.

ps, still eat lots of beef, pork and chicken. Fish too.

Diverse diet.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      I don't care what they do with the pea protein, as long as there is another outlet for some production. How could this be bad?

I use some protein powder, never did soy, had whey and egg, and now more into the plant based ones. Have some hemp and just got done a container of pea protein powder. Some of the stuff tastes gross and the texture is gritty but I am after the health benefits, not what only tastes and feels good in my mouth.

ps, still eat lots of beef, pork and chicken. Fish too.

Diverse diet.
                      Agree totally, just pay up . We can’t grow high quality peas for nothing at the end for us

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Agree totally, just pay up . We can’t grow high quality peas for nothing at the end for us
                        Agree...seems odd that fake meat burgers are 3 times the price of hamburger and yet nothing coming back to the primary producer but lower prices...

Potash companies shut down when shit like that happens....and they get government help in the form of royalty holidays....

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                          yes beyond beef has all the headlines now but this stuff in nothing new. I remember years ago at some pulse meeting that Sask pulse and pulse Canada were promoting this idea. Guys we need this terribly. When China and India buy most of our peas and lentil and they decide to take a pass. We have celiacs in the family and we buy Red lentil pasta that is actually pretty good. Long term we need to get pulse protein in a lot more products for them to bump protein, cookies, cereal, bread, etc. It will be interesting once the portage plant comes online. You have to figure they have some idea for markets for their products? Ya prices are poor, kinda knew that this spring, but wanted to keep red lentils in the rotation. I would love to see .20 cents but don't think that will happen soon unless nature does something. There is a lot of disease in the areas where they got a lot of rain in July.
                          I was totally against beyond anything due to the batshit crazies promoting it, then that changed after talking to my cousin with colitis, it's a god send for those that can't eat meat. There's a fit for it but the crazies are doing more harm to those with legit reasons for eating it then benefiting their own religion.

Comment

For those that benefit health wise eating it instead of meat good. I just don’t like that it’s being promoted as the replacement for livestock. And then us plant growers are being villanized also. Pretty soon they’ll develop a pill of chemicals that you won’t need to eat any food.

Comment

The supposed cricket or grasshopper protein wave seems to have died off, thankfully.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.