• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planter / drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Dalek , very first run in corn with this unit.. ever.
    New too us tractor and planter, I thought it was ok . Considering it was the first few acres. It is better beyond this but whatever. Did not think that was terrible, but you are corn country for sure .
    I am sure like canola there are, many more guys here with more vast expertise on corn canola seed / row spacing that do a much better jod . And that's great.
    Are you willing to post pictures to show better or worse ? ?
    We have been seeding corn for 12 years with ole JD planters and they have been ok but not at 8 to 8.5 mph like that .
    We run the JD's at 4.5 and can't get that constant , maybe we suck . Just curious is all about how it was so bad???
    What did we do wrong ? Just hope not to do it again ,
    I can't wait to post the picture of the seed master with the speacial corn roller beside the 30 year ole JD 8 row .
    I am not being an ass , but it is was it is .
    Give me a day to do that . The seed master corn is terrible , way worse than the ole JD and or the Horsch.
    30 % of the plants are still way way to close together to produce a viable cob with the "master " , at $90 - $100 / ac seed that's huge . But just my opinion
    I hope it's not terrible , I am concerned now.
    Again just sharing info, and explaining the info
    Always willing to learn from others
    For the first time out it's not bad then but in fairly level stone-free ground it should be rare to see a skip or a double. Does the monitor show singulation on the Horsch? My 20 year old White would love ground like that.

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
      For the first time out it's not bad then but in fairly level stone-free ground it should be rare to see a skip or a double. Does the monitor show singulation on the Horsch? My 20 year old White would love ground like that.

First picture is typical for fairly good ground here. Second is what happens when a White row unit hits a rock which is unfortunately our best crop.
      Last two are just for fun. Planted this field 10" in to an 18" may

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post

Not perfect, but I've seen lots worse in my own field because the new JD planter that did it for the last few years was truly terrible - skips, doubles and lousy 28% placement that burned the seed.

Bought an old JD 7000 to plant my corn myself this spring and got a better job than the guy I had planting it for years with the new machine. Drove slower - 4.5 mph - and it worked fine.

I don't think you can drive as fast as they tell you with some of those new planters and still get a good job. But of course, our dirt isn't flat and stone-free either.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
          Not perfect, but I've seen lots worse in my own field because the new JD planter that did it for the last few years was truly terrible - skips, doubles and lousy 28% placement that burned the seed.

Bought an old JD 7000 to plant my corn myself this spring and got a better job than the guy I had planting it for years with the new machine. Drove slower - 4.5 mph - and it worked fine.

I don't think you can drive as fast as they tell you with some of those new planters and still get a good job. But of course, our dirt isn't flat and stone-free either.
          High speed planting is for tabletop river bottom fields in the I states.

Comment

Furrow if the Seedmaster gives a substandard result they should have left it on the drawing board
            Anything to fine tune?
            I notice Seedmaster states that for canola they achieve 88% of seeds spaced one to three inches apart. Big whoop.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures dalek . Looks very good .
              We also have a 8 row JD 7000 and a 12 row JD 7200 . They both work pretty good.
              This was the first chance I had to go look at the job the Horsch did myself.
              The is a multitude of settings to work with . Once he got going with it a few passes he had it dialed in much better.
              Was interesting to see how the individual row shut off worked in corners.
              Zero overlap was good to see compared to the ole deers .
              I have heard nothing but good things about White planters . They look very well built as well .

Comment

Yes the monitor shows singulation on each row . You can change each row to what ever seed population you want .
                Same with the liquid phos which also has individual row shut off.
                It will be interesting to get more corn acres next year with it and be able to experiment with it a bit more.

Comment

Seed rate trial ....
                  1 lb / ac

1.5 lbs / ac

2 lbs / ac

Comment

Furrow, after what didnt germ(or did and dried out)frost took, insects chewed, wind pummeled, my seeding rate was probably equivelant to much less than the intended rate. ......but looks nothing like your pictures.

Comment

Ya our canola last year struggled with all kinds of those issues plus a screw up with the ole drill. Was not pretty to look at for most of the summer but turned out ok.
                      As long as you can keep it clean it will be ok. Canola is a very elastic crop

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Ya our canola last year struggled with all kinds of those issues plus a screw up with the ole drill. Was not pretty to look at for most of the summer but turned out ok.
                        As long as you can keep it clean it will be ok. Canola is a very elastic crop
                        wow , that's unreal , furrow . thanks for the pics ! we sure could use one of those on our farm . we seed 4.2 #/ac , definetely doesn't look like that

Comment

hard to tell in a pic , but, looks like 1# is more than enough ?

Comment

Not when you walk out into it and factor in bugs or frost . 1.5 would be my cut off under perfect seeding conditions. 2 lbs is more than enough for most situations from what I see this year. Time will tell next year . Things can change

Comment

This discussion reminds me of Les Henry's quote "there's more in the farmer than the farm" sic. Give an idiot the best drill and they can still **** it up. Then there's the guy running a bunch of old junk but takes care and yields with the best. Dry weather shows who take care no matter the rig.

Comment

You have to wonder how big biotechs will react to 2lb seed rates. We know they will never accept the profit haircut. Raising the cost per bag will drive away the low tech customers. I imagine they will go to license fee scheme where the cost of seed is nominal.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...