• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planter / drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different soils and climate do better with varying seeding apparatus. History has taught us some lessons about the particular perils of flat land gumbo and dry spring conditions.

During the " dirty thirties" a lot of the topsoil blew away. Farmers were seeding with double disc press drills on pre-harrow-disced summerfallow. Consequently the very fine light soil particles were left on the surface and wind erosion was the result. In a couple of windy days the crop was cut right off by flying dirt. Southern Sask Ag then adopted the 24 inch one-way disc, average length of 9 feet. The seeder box held about 10 bushels of wheat. The heavy disc pulled up lumps to stop the blowing. Then from farmers' workshops came 15,18 and 20 foot long discers with18-20 inch dished discs on 6 inch spacing with mounted seed and fertilizer boxes. Producers devised ways to hook them together and four wheel drive tractors pulled 75 feet at our farm. In the 60's Jerome Bechard, with the use of a tow-behind tank and fan invented the air seeder on cultivator shovels. Various adaptations have been made to that idea. Lately the push has been to narrower and narrower openers until today we are seeing single disc openers that leave the fine dust on top - smooth and loose. The use of these drlls on light lentil stubble offers nothing to hold the soil down. This year we have witnessed the worst blowing that we have seen in our farming career. The spring rains never came until June 13 and May was hot and windy. Now many farmers have a pile of work trying to repair the damage to crops, fields and our beautiful drainage projects. So the wheels on the bus do go round and round. Man does not from history. High speed discing may be ok in other soil and weather conditions, but here in the Wascana Flats it can be very dangerous. I am interested in how Agrivillers feel about the evolution of seeding equipment and can only speak to gumbo conditions. MHO

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      Case. But tweety's point is you're only starting with 2.1 lbs. ...not alot of room for peril loses.
      half the drills in the country will be lucky if half the seed grows this year so your back to square 1 .....

Comment

20 year old 5710 worth near ZERO...seeded at 4.2 lbs/acreClick image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	765586

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
          20 year old 5710 worth near ZERO...seeded at 4.2 lbs/acre[ATTACH]1555[/ATTACH]
          looks good fj , but probably worth more than our morris maxim . bourgault has better resale , lol

Comment

As of today, for those interested..
            Here is our terrible, shitty canola seeded with our Bourgault.....4.7 lbs

And the canola with planter ... 2 lbs

Seeded same day .
            Not saying the planter is the end all be all , just interesting at this point

Comment

Looks like 64 bu/ac to me! But I might be a bit early and overly optimistic!

Comment

Well that's it! I saw a skip in the planter field. No planter for us. Ha.

Looks good. What was the TKW again on the field wit planter?

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                  Well that's it! I saw a skip in the planter field. No planter for us. Ha.

Looks good. What was the TKW again on the field wit planter?
                  It wasn't the planter, it was cutworms!

Comment

Same seed lot , 45CS40 , 5.1 tkw
                    Seeded in same field .
                    160 with ole Bourgault, and 155 with planter

Comment

Beautiful canola furrow. Hope you get your rain you need

Comment

Corn 🌽.. with Horsch

32,400 seeds / ac

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          Corn 🌽.. with Horsch

32,400 seeds / ac
                          Ouch. Why such poor singulation and spacing?

Comment

Ya , it's terrible in dry sand

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Ya , it's terrible in dry sand
                              What happened to last year's crop residue?

Comment

Dalek , very first run in corn with this unit.. ever.
                                New too us tractor and planter, I thought it was ok . Considering it was the first few acres. It is better beyond this but whatever. Did not think that was terrible, but you are corn country for sure .
                                I am sure like canola there are, many more guys here with more vast expertise on corn canola seed / row spacing that do a much better jod . And that's great.
                                Are you willing to post pictures to show better or worse ? ?
                                We have been seeding corn for 12 years with ole JD planters and they have been ok but not at 8 to 8.5 mph like that .
                                We run the JD's at 4.5 and can't get that constant , maybe we suck . Just curious is all about how it was so bad???
                                What did we do wrong ? Just hope not to do it again ,
                                I can't wait to post the picture of the seed master with the speacial corn roller beside the 30 year ole JD 8 row .
                                I am not being an ass , but it is was it is .
                                Give me a day to do that . The seed master corn is terrible , way worse than the ole JD and or the Horsch.
                                30 % of the plants are still way way to close together to produce a viable cob with the "master " , at $90 - $100 / ac seed that's huge . But just my opinion
                                I hope it's not terrible , I am concerned now.
                                Again just sharing info, and explaining the info
                                Always willing to learn from others

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.